Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

For anyone applying to unc bbsp: I was told they got almost 1400 apps, and will admit around 200. People in my lab are estimating around 70-80% of interview-ees will be offered admission. Good news for those w interviews!

Any idea whether or not they are finish sending out the interview invites?

Good luck, everyone!

@ Ryancho. Hey, sorry for the late reply. Wait, I'll paste Bob's reply.

"

Hello,

Applications are divided and reviewed based on your area of interests.  To the best of my knowledge the area that you applied to has concluded their review and has sent out all invitations, and unfortunately they were not able to extend an invitation to you at this time.  However, no final decision can be made until the end of March so you can expect a decision by then.

Best of luck,"

So I don't know. Maybe he was talking about my primary interest - Cell and Molecular Neuroscience?

In any way, congrats on U Penn!

@brainmaze, I think you are right. Maybe invitations for cell/mole neuro tracks are done, and they are still reviewing students who applied to systems track (I did). But I haven't heard anything from them yet.

@ak1921, congrats!!!!! Finally Stanford started sending out invites...I am now refreshing my emails every 10 seconds...lol

Anyway, I just received invitation from Caltech CNS...very excited, as it's one of my top choices...! But their interview weekend overlaps with WashU.....What do you guys think I should do?

@ryancho, Thanks and congrats to you too :) I think you should definitely go for Caltech and ask WashU for another date or a skype interview. I am sure there's a risk because you would give impression that WashU is not your top choice and they might not agree to give you an opportunity for the interview. But you will choose Caltech anyway even if you are accepted to both schools. Think on the bright side!

Browsing the "results" page and comments from other people, it seems some programs will call people or email them. I've been wondering what determines if they will call or email you for interview requests?

I think it just depends on the program and how they prefer to handle things.  Out of my four interview invites, two called me and two e-mailed me.

I think it just depends on the program and how they prefer to handle things.  Out of my four interview invites, two called me and two e-mailed me.

That's what I thought, but I noticed even within a program, a program will contact people differently. 

That's what I thought, but I noticed even within a program, a program will contact people differently. 

Yeah, perhaps POIs or different areas of interest contact people differently.  Or perhaps they tried to call, couldn't reach the person, so then e-mailed them.  Or maybe they just don't call international applicants.

"Dear Prospective Student/Graduate Applicant,

Thank you for the follow up regarding your application status. Our

Admissions Committee has recently reviewed all applications and is in the

first phase of reviewing/interviewing.

We ask for your patience in this recruitment process and you'll be hearing

from us in the near future.

Again, thank you for your interest with the Interdepartmental Neuroscience

Program, here at the University of California, Irvine."

Emailed to inquire about status of interview invites -_-

There's still hope ....

Has anyone heard from neuro programs at University of Chicago, Drexel, or Georgetown. I've seen posts about every other school I applied too, but nothing about any of these three.

Guys, I posted the related content earlier (and thank you, @ak1921, but I want to here what others think )

I know many of you received multiple offers of interviews, and some of you should have some schedules in conflict...What are your plans? I am really in panic here..I have Caltech CNS and WashU in conflict (Feb 1st)...I told WashU that I will attend the interview about two or three weeks earlier already...I really want to visit both schools and see how they are like.

I didn't see it in the results, so: I was emailed an invitation for Brandeis Neuro earlier today!

I actually thought they were going to send these out much later, makes me nervous for the other schools with late interview invites... i.e. UCSD and Rockefeller for me!

Edited by HS2013