Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

Guess I should add that the current grad students asked all sorts of personal questions - if I had a significant other and what I was planning to about that in grad school, etc.  And that after dinner, the grad students took all the perspectives to a drag show.  Like I said, it was an interesting experience.

Guess I should add that the current grad students asked all sorts of personal questions - if I had a significant other and what I was planning to about that in grad school, etc.  And that after dinner, the grad students took all the perspectives to a drag show.  Like I said, it was an interesting experience.

Wow, that does sound atypical. That is not at all what I am expecting. I don't like when people ask me questions that are too personal. I honestly feel like my personal life is no one's business so long as it does not interfere with my work/studies. Was this at UGA?

Wow, that does sound atypical. That is not at all what I am expecting. I don't like when people ask me questions that are too personal. I honestly feel like my personal life is no one's business so long as it does not interfere with my work/studies. Was this at UGA?

Yes, it was.  Everybody was super friendly and they were probably just trying to make conversation.  It just wasn't really what I expected as far as the interview goes, which is good and bad.  At least it was very relaxed and low pressure!

I wonder if grad students have any input in the final selection process. Like, if one were to accidentally let slip that a particular school is not your top choice while having drinks with the grad students, would they relay that on to the admissions committee? Especially with personal questions like relationships and family...do we have to think carefully about every single answer we give? I'm scared!

I wonder if grad students have any input in the final selection process. Like, if one were to accidentally let slip that a particular school is not your top choice while having drinks with the grad students, would they relay that on to the admissions committee? Especially with personal questions like relationships and family...do we have to think carefully about every single answer we give? I'm scared!

Just be honest.  They can't hold that kind of thing against you.

A question for people- if you have done past research in areas you don't see yourself continuing in, when you are interviewing, should you get this sentiment across or should you be equally enthusiastic about all the research you have done? I love the work and the lab, but really couldn't see myself continuing to do this type of work. In fact, it is pretty different from what I want to do...

A question for people- if you have done past research in areas you don't see yourself continuing in, when you are interviewing, should you get this sentiment across or should you be equally enthusiastic about all the research you have done? I love the work and the lab, but really couldn't see myself continuing to do this type of work. In fact, it is pretty different from what I want to do...

As long as you seem enthusiastic about your past research (rather than complaining or pretending you liked it), I think it should be ok. I've done past research on neuroinformatics , then bioimage analysis and now Scene Understanding which is cross disciplinary (CS and Psychology). It's part of your process of self-discovery and knowing what you really like and want to do with your life and research. I talked about this a at a summer school with an MIT professor I'm applying to work with, she seemed pretty cool about it.

Email from Rockefeller. Threw my hands in the air and then quickly retracted them. They are interviewing people this year and not just letting people in. Still very exciting, yet somehow I feel sad.

Email from Rockefeller. Threw my hands in the air and then quickly retracted them. They are interviewing people this year and not just letting people in. Still very exciting, yet somehow I feel sad.

What do you mean by they are doing interviews and not letting people in???? They have no plan to accept any of applicants?

Apparently this year there were enough junior faculty who wanted to start doing interviews. The argument against bothering with interviews was that an hour with a prospective isn't going to tell you much about how well the student will do in grad school.

Source: I worked at Rockefeller over the summer and heard it from a faculty member.

Edited by Hex

I e-mailed the program administrator for Georgetown IPN, and she said that the admissions comittee is still reviewing applications, but that shes not part of the admissions process so doesnt know anything more.

Well, I've heard from all my programs except for one.  And I guess that one program is just slowly sending out rejections, so there's not much hope there.  Also, haven't heard back from the school that I e-mailed about a conflict with the interview date.  Hope that isn't a bad sign.

Now I just need to power through these interviews (on top of everything else I need to do, of course)... Good luck, everyone!