Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

I don't have any experience with it, but it sounds like at this point (if they have a reputation of being inflexible plus travel being booked) only ask if you're willing to give up a chance at UT Austin for one at MSU. It's terrible they overlap like that. Hopefully MSU will come through with a reschedule!

Yes, that is what I am going to do. I really hope MSU reschedules with me! I will have anxiety about it until I hear from them. By the way, I received an invitation interview to Florida State today! I'm excited! Yet, still no interview to GSU. I think I'm likely rejected from there by now. I'm okay with that. I am happy with the three I have and hopefully UC Davis will come through for me too! Kinda bummed we won't be able to have an interview together tho :(

Got my second rejection from OHSU today. First one on Dec 21st. I think one was enough.

Congrats on Florida State FutureNeuroGrad! Don't give up on GSU yet, I think they're still getting everything together

Hi everyone, can I ask how most of you (guys in particular) will be dressing for interviews? Do most people wear business casual or full suits to interview weekends? Can we forego ties? My first interview is at a top tier program (one of the ivy schools) and I'm nervous as heck. 

Hi everyone, can I ask how most of you (guys in particular) will be dressing for interviews? Do most people wear business casual or full suits to interview weekends? Can we forego ties? My first interview is at a top tier program (one of the ivy schools) and I'm nervous as heck. 

Hey, I would go with business casual, with ties. My friend who did neuroscience interview last year told me that all of guys were wearing business casual, and about half of them wore ties. So I guess ties are optional. Full suits or casual (like hoodies and jeans) does not seem appropriate.

My interview invitations said to dress casually (did not specify business casual) with comfortable shoes for a lot of walking. However, a few grad students advised me to dress business casual. I'm female but the grad students who advised me are males!

Is the person who posted on the results page that they were accepted from UT Austin on Jan. 15th on this message board? Can you please futher explain how you are accepted already? I don't understand how that's possible when interviews are not taking place until the end of Feb. Thanks =)

A lot of the more vocal people on here didn’t apply to Drexel and UChigago, but in case there are any lurkers I figure I would post this. I called each today and asked if all invites have been sent out or not.

UC: Said that some have been sent out, but not all. The person who would know best was out today because of an emergency. I was told that they will interview in the second week in February, and that the admissions committee met once before break and have since met once a week. The woman I talked to said that she knows they are not done reviewing applicants and will have more meetings, but didn’t know when the last invites would be sent out.

Drexel: Interviews “start next Tuesday” and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis in the order they were completed. Application reviews are not completed but all invites will most likely be sent out within the next week. I’m not exactly sure if the comment about interviews starting next Tuesday means that candidates are interviewed one at a time or if she just meant that the first interview date begins next Tuesday and that they have another later one.

Congrats Scientista!

Anyone heard anything from from UC Boulder? There's so little information on the results page but I was hoping we might hear something before the 3 day weekend...

Big day today.  First "interview" is DONE.  It was... interesting... for so many reasons.   Also, got two more interview invites today, one of which conflicts with one of my scheduled interviews.  The schools with the conflicting interview dates are two of my top choices.  Hopefully they'll understand.   

ryancho,

Could you please crarify - you pointed that got rejected by Stanford. Have you received an e-mail or something official or you just concluded that (they did not invite you)?

ryancho,

Could you please crarify - you pointed that got rejected by Stanford. Have you received an e-mail or something official or you just concluded that (they did not invite you)?

I emailed the coordinator, and they let me know I am not invited

I emailed the coordinator, and they let me know I am not invited

Thank you.

Ross Colvin - him? How long did you wait for the reply?

Edited by Solnce

Okay.  Well I'm not sure this interview experience was by any means typical.  I'll let you know after my next interview, coming up in a few days (although many of you will have had your own experiences by then)!  

It was interesting in that there was never any one-on-one interaction between a faculty member, we were always in groups.  It was not so much an interview as it was them talking to us about how great their program is.  I was not asked a single question by a faculty member, except for "Do you have any questions for me/about our program?"  One time the graduate coordinator went around the room and asked us all why we wanted a PhD and we had to answer in front of everyone, which was sort of intimidating.  Most of the questions I asked were well-received by both grad students and faculty, but the graduate coordinator didn't seem particularly happy when I asked "What is your student success rate in terms of people staying in the program?"  Perhaps I came across as too skeptical.  

Also, there was one girl who brought her mom along to everything.  Don't do this.  And there was another girl who seemed totally miserable the entire time.  Just be yourself and show a little enthusiasm for the program, even if it isn't your top choice.  Keep an open mind.

@stmwap, Thanks a lot! Your interview was definitely not what I (and most of us?) would expect to hear about...To be honest, I must've been quite disappointed if my first interview were like that (no offense!!) Anyway, congrats to your first interview and best luck with the rest :) I will also share my stories after I come back from mine next week.