Admits with no funding or no word on funding yet?

Tumbleweed

I'm waiting on funding from the school I've been admitted to (and am still waiting on any word from one more school). I have this constant monologue going through my head: wake up funding CNN funding breakfast fundingfundingfundingfunding IU acceptance IU funding FSUfundingfundingfunding thegradcafe.com stupid liberal studies class I left til the end stupid class I'm taking for no reason except that I need to be full-time fundingfundingfundingfundingfunding fundingfunding IUacceptance roommates for next year FAFSA fundingfundingfundingfundingfundingfundingfundingfunding SAI funding thegradcafe.com SAI fundingfundingfunding I should practice fundingfundingfundingfunding I'm tired phdcomics.com oohNCIS fundingfundingfunding ooh Frasier fundingfundingfunding sleep

I'm waiting on funding from the school I've been admitted to (and am still waiting on any word from one more school). I have this constant monologue going through my head: wake up funding CNN funding breakfast fundingfundingfundingfunding IU acceptance IU funding FSUfundingfundingfunding thegradcafe.com stupid liberal studies class I left til the end stupid class I'm taking for no reason except that I need to be full-time fundingfundingfundingfundingfunding fundingfunding IUacceptance roommates for next year FAFSA fundingfundingfundingfundingfundingfundingfundingfunding SAI funding thegradcafe.com SAI fundingfundingfunding I should practice fundingfundingfundingfunding I'm tired phdcomics.com oohNCIS fundingfundingfunding ooh Frasier fundingfundingfunding sleep

!!! :lol: !!!

Win.

With a hot rofl and extra syrup.

For me, I can honestly say that it does sting more to be admitted without funding than to be rejected. I only put in one PhD application last year and was admitted without funding. Granted, it was an overseas program but it was a real stinker not to be able to attend. If you get rejected the door is closed. With an acceptance (non-funded) it creates all of the 'what if' scenarios.

Due to budget cuts, it looks like a lot of schools are finalizing their funding after admitting students. People who are waitlisted for funding will probably move up the line as others decline program offers.

Here's to hoping money trickles our way...

I second this, completely. I have 2 MA acceptances, one which I just found out is funded (thank God) but the other (at a school I'd rather attend) is not.

I really felt like it was worse to be "good enough academically" but "just bad enough to be ineligible for money"

I feel your pain.

Well...at least you're getting a little sleep in there... :) hope you hear good news soon!

piccali, that's how my mind is working these days, too (just add in lots of compusive checking of e-mail account, holding breath, and that *doooh* feeling when there's nothing new in my inbox). I also watch Frasier in the evenings--the good episodes are relaxing, the bad ones bore me to sleepyland (not a bad thing).

No funding offer from Oregon :( I just sent an e-mail to the grad secretary asking if no meant absolutely no (as the letter kind of sounded like, tear tear), or if no meant possibly in the future, if first choice applicants turn us down (as the website says) and how probable that would be, in that case.

I know how you guys feel. Got admitted to my top choice school last week, but no word on funding yet, and I honestly don't know when they'll let me know. I'm still to know if I got in at a couple of other schools, but the wait on funding news is even worse.

Me too! After numerous talks with my intended advising professor, I only applied at one school, and got my acceptance letter in January. I've been waiting for a funding decision ever since. I can't go without it, but I've put all my eggs in this basket and don't quite know what I should do next year if it doesn't come through!

• 2 weeks later...

This is an older thread, and most of the people who posted have probably heard from their schools by now, but I have to throw in my 2 cents worth that March ends in two days and I still haven't heard a darned thing. One school said no to an assistantship position, but four others have been absolutely silent. Do they plan on sending the packages the second week of April and giving the applicants a single day to make my decision? Or are they just going to ignore us and hope we're desperate enough to send in the card on unrealistic hopes of funding that will magically appear after others turn down offers? I don't care if it's a tiny envelope with a single sentence saying "Sorry, sucker, you're on your own." I just need to know, definitively, where in the country (or out of it) I'll be next year and how much debt I'll be taking on so we can decide whether to replace the totaled car or ride buses indefinitely.

Yeah this waiting game is getting ridiculous. I'm going to call the three schools I haven't heard from this Wednesday. One of the schools said I would hear by mid-to-late March, another by 1 April, and another said I would receive funding info in the official acceptance letter which I received yesterday...which didn't contain any funding info. :x

I too am still sadly waiting on funding info... I emailed the DGS at my two schools on Wednesday and haven't received a reply from either. I've contacted each of them before and they both replied the same day. Urgh.

Hopefully Monday will bring better news.

I've got all my funding info from all schools...except one, which is one I need funding info for so I can make a decision! Right now I have funding from one other school, but am supposed to hear about this other one by April 1st (or get an e-mail that the first round of funding offers have been sent out if I'm not up for one) and so far nothing! Even if I don't get funding there I also applied for a FLAS there and it'll probably be another week or two before I hear about that. Ugh, I hate having my options, but not all the information so I can still only speculate about what's going to happen!

I'm in this boat now. One school said that funding letters go in the mail April 15th (enrollment deadline there is May 15th), and one said I'll hear in JUNE (standard 4/15 deadline). I have asked both if there is any way I can get an inkling of my chances any sooner. June school said no. Still waiting to see what the other school has to say.

Question for y'all: Would it be a dick move to put in my enrollment deposits at both schools and then just pull out of one later after I know about funding? Okay, I know it would be a dick move, but considering the circumstances... ?

I'm in this boat now. One school said that funding letters go in the mail April 15th (enrollment deadline there is May 15th), and one said I'll hear in JUNE (standard 4/15 deadline). I have asked both if there is any way I can get an inkling of my chances any sooner. June school said no. Still waiting to see what the other school has to say.

Question for y'all: Would it be a dick move to put in my enrollment deposits at both schools and then just pull out of one later after I know about funding? Okay, I know it would be a dick move, but considering the circumstances... ?

I mean in theory as long as you don't mind losing the deposit at one school it would work. But are you allowed to do that? I mean if they both don't know it will be fine, but I'm not sure what would happen if they found out. I think it's really shady to ask you to accept and offer and then find out what your funding may be. They clearly know funding is a big issue in the decision process. They should either get it figured out earlier or push back their notification dates. But of course they won't. Sigh.

Well, I guess I could put in a deposit at the one school by 4/15, wait for the letter from the other school with the 5/15 deadline, and then if the letter is good I could withdraw from the June school and deposit at the other school. That's not really putting down two deposits at once... but it doesn't feel much less shady.

I hate this.

Just needed to vent. AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH, I'm supposed to hear about funding from the last school I need to by today and so far nothing. I've been checking my e-mail every 2 minutes (actually now that I'm on the computer it's just open so I can see the instant I get a new message) and it's driving me insane! I've only seen one other person on these boards who applied to the same program and he/she said they hadn't heard anything by Monday either. I have no idea if they're just taking their sweet time today or if I'm SOL on funding. Plus I'm also waiting for info on a FLAS from this school too, so that will mean probably another week of waiting after this. Argh, I'm going crazy, I just want to be able to legitimately weigh my options instead of speculating a million different possibilities! Ok, feel slightly better now.

I think some of you folks might be apt to consider contacting your adviser directly and asking the stance on funding. They'll give you a pretty straight answer of how most students are funded in the department. I did this with a few schools before I got the exact funding package I wanted.

So nothing from the school I was supposed to hear about funding from today. I suppose I can take this to mean that I got nothing, but they seemed to indicate they would e-mail everyone once they had sent out the first round of funding offers, and I didn't even get that. I e-mailed the department to ask when they thought they would send out offers and got nothing back. I guess I'll have to call tomorrow to find out what's up. Argh I'm sick of waiting! Oh well, at least I found out they are planning to send out FLAS decisions by the end of the week. Hopefully they'll stick to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited one of my schools on Friday and met with a whole host of people. the DGS told me that she still has 5 people who had funding offers that she hasn't heard back from (deadline for this school si the end of the month), and she'd let me know "in a nanosecond" if funding became available for me. One of the other profs I met with (who has a reputation for being very candid) took me aside and offered to be my major adviser, and said he was going to push for me to get funding.

So I guess now it's a wait until the end of the month...I guess that i'm somewhere higher than #5 on the list for funding...and hopefully things sounded kind of optimistic, and I felt the visit went really well...but I'm really really trying not to get my hopes up.

RUPA still holds (only now for funding)