Checking the LinkedIn Account?

arkansawesome

So I logged on to LinkedIn today and saw that a Stanford Aerospace professor, whom I discussed potentially working with for graduate school in my application, has been viewing my profile.

Is this a good sign or do you think they do this for a lot of applicants?

I have no idea if this is a good sign or not, but I had a POI from a UK school I applied to view my profile as well. Is LinkedIn the first thing that comes up when you Google your name? Mine is. So I think they just Googled my name and went from there. I would take it as good news since they are interested enough to check you out.

This is a fun new way to be neurotic. Someone from the Nashville area viewed my profile? Must be about Vandervilt! . . . No, just a high school friend of my mom's.

I agree with regal renegade though. Tough to tell what it actually means.

I have no idea if this is a good sign or not, but I had a POI from a UK school I applied to view my profile as well. Is LinkedIn the first thing that comes up when you Google your name? Mine is. So I think they just Googled my name and went from there. I would take it as good news since they are interested enough to check you out.

Ahhh!!! Now I wish I had a LinkedIn so that I would know if professors googled me! This thread could easily cause an increase in LinkedIn profiles... lol

Ahhh!!! Now I wish I had a LinkedIn so that I would know if professors googled me! This thread could easily cause an increase in LinkedIn profiles... lol

Academia.edu will email you when someone clicks through to your site from Google - "Someone just Googled your name!"  :)

Academia.edu will email you when someone clicks through to your site from Google - "Someone just Googled your name!"  :)

That's right. I have yet to do that. Although, I probably should.

As a result of this thread, I just upgraded my LinkedIn account so I can see who has been viewing my profile (terrible, I know).

As a result of this thread, I just upgraded my LinkedIn account so I can see who has been viewing my profile (terrible, I know).

haha! i've been thinking of doing this myself.  Anyone else?  Is it worth the cost?  And, how elaborate are your LinkedIn profiles?  I have only listed my professional titles & schools attended, but I see some people include courses taken, etc.  

Re:  academia.edu --  does this mean people (that I've dated or have considered dating) could potentially see when I've [hypothetically] google-stalked them?? 

haha! i've been thinking of doing this myself.  Anyone else?  Is it worth the cost?  And, how elaborate are your LinkedIn profiles?  I have only listed my professional titles & schools attended, but I see some people include courses taken, etc.  

Re:  academia.edu --  does this mean people (that I've dated or have considered dating) could potentially see when I've [hypothetically] google-stalked them?? 

I've thought about ugrading LinkedIn, too, but it tells you the most recent viewers for free, so I wondered what I would get out of paying?

Re: Academia, it doesn't tell me *who* googled me, just that someone googled me and then clicked on my Academia page. 

Also, if you want your profile to come up higher when your name is googled, you should link to it as often as possible.  Cross-link your profiles on LinkedIn, SSRN, Academia, Twitter, etc.  It's not a guarantee of better results, and it's not instant, but one of the ways Google decides how to weight search results is by how often other pages link back to them.

Strange  - I normally get an email weekly telling me who has viewed my profile and I have not upgraded my LinkedIn account?

I'd take it as a good sign. If they weren't considering you seriously, they wouldn't go to the effort of looking you up online!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now. I just googled my name and 4 things came up. 

1)My old myspace

2)A guy who shares my name in a gay sailor outfit

3)Aforementioned guys twitter

4)An old high school wrestling article about me..

Hopefully if I'm googled they'll be able to tell who is who.

Edited by judowrestler1

I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now. I just googled my name and 4 things came up. 

1)My old myspace

2)A guy who shares my name in a gay sailor outfit

3)Aforementioned guys twitter

4)An old high school wrestling article about me..

Hopefully if I'm googled they'll be able to tell who is who.

i have a pretty common name. so, I wonder if they google your name in conjunction with your current school, your UG, your hometown to try to get the real you??

all would yield varied results with multiple people with that name... another thing to worry about.

Is anyone here actively using academia.edu? I want to flesh out my profile, but I'm not sure what's worthwhile to put up for the world to see. My CV, my undergrad thesis...?

Is anyone here actively using academia.edu? I want to flesh out my profile, but I'm not sure what's worthwhile to put up for the world to see. My CV, my undergrad thesis...?

No... My profile is basically my grad institution and research interests. However, I have colleagues that have their CV up and links to papers they have written or co-authored. That seems pretty common.

I have my CV and interests. My MA thesis is also linked there, although I didn't do that myself, ProQuest did it. Or Academia.edu somehow checks ProQuest. I just recently got an email asking if the thesis was mine and if I'd like to link it. In terms of looking at it once someone has my application, it would be pointless because all of that stuff is in the app already. 

I think having your CV there is worthwhile, and listing your interests, so others with similar interests can find you? If you put your undergrad thesis you can always claim that topic, even if someone publishes on it later (this happened to a friend of mine). Or just an abstract if you're not comfortable with the whole thing?

Hm, that's a thought. I'm kind of thinking it's an opportunity to put more stuff out there: my full thesis (I submitted excerpts), a paper on a totally different topic. I guess the chance a POI would read anything extra like that is very slim, but it can't hurt...

Hm, that's a thought. I'm kind of thinking it's an opportunity to put more stuff out there: my full thesis (I submitted excerpts), a paper on a totally different topic. I guess the chance a POI would read anything extra like that is very slim, but it can't hurt...

Nope. And there's always the dream of later, some super amazing professor who may or may not be at your program finding you through a paper and asking you to co-author something with them. (Unless this is just my dream...)

• 4 weeks later...

A professor from a program I applied to viewed my linkedin profile three days ago, and we actually have one relation in common (whom I met during my summer internship!). So I don't mean to be too curious, but have those in the same situation as me been accepted?

I'll have to upgrade my LinkedIn in order to see if anyone's been taking a peek at it...I wish I hadn't updated it until after I saw this thread though. I completely forgot that schools like to google potential candidates...