Acceptance Freakout Thread

Claiming the Buffalo consolation MA on the board. A little surprised(?) as I specifically asked not to be considered for it but ok.

Edit: forgot to add for the record, letter dated 2/26, the same date as my application was marked "under review" on the status site.

Edited by girl who wears glasses

Claiming the Buffalo consolation MA on the board. A little surprised(?) as I specifically asked not to be considered for it but ok.

Edit: forgot to add for the record, letter dated 2/26, the same date as my application was marked "under review" on the status site.

Did they offer you funding? Or was it..."hey we really like you but..."

Did they offer you funding? Or was it..."hey we really like you but..."

Seemed even slightly less warm than the latter. The tuition information wasn't even included as stated. I do not think there is really much available for the MA (someone correct me if this is false). Will likely be turning it down. Their information did state that there is a wait list for the MA but I'm not sure about the PhD this year.

If it makes you feel any better, I got into their Ph.D. last year and was offered no funding. That's an even harsher blow. "Oh, sure, I'll go to your program for 5-7 years with no funding. I'll also blowdry my hair in the bathtub to save time! What could go wrong?"

Edited by TripWillis

Congrats to Buffalo MA admits and waitlisters!

If it makes you feel any better, I got into their Ph.D. last year and was offered no funding. That's an even harsher blow. "Oh, sure, I'll go to your program for 5-7 years with no funding. I'll also blowdry my hair in the bathtub to save time! What could go wrong?"

Was this for English or American Studies?

Yeah, Buffalo sometimes doesn't fun PhD students (English)--this is especially true with regard to international students (there are several international students in the PhD program at my current school who were accepted to the PhD program at Buffalo with no funding...)

Edited by bluecheese

I just found out that I'm on Buffalo's waitlist! It sounds like they're funding PhD's this year, at least- they said they only have 10 TA spots

If thestage is gone, can you tell me if you were notified by email?

I got the MA offer in the mail.

It was dated two weeks ago, didn't contain everything it said it would contain, and then they even had the gall to ask me to pay to mail my decision to not attend back to them--and please do so quickly! I think I'll pass on that one, Buffalo.

Edited by thestage

I got the MA offer in the mail.

It was dated two weeks ago, didn't contain everything it said it would contain, and then they even had the gall to ask me to pay to mail my decision to not attend back to them--and please do so quickly! I think I'll pass on that one, Buffalo.

Hmmm, was it dated 26 Feb as in when the online status changed to review? I might be receiving something shortly.

ETA: They are my only outstanding application so I want to move on!

Edited by Porridge

Mine was in the mail, too, dated 2/26. My status changed online to "Wait List" sometime before last Thursday, but I was hesitant to trust the website without receiving any word from the department

Got a call from the University of Florida yesterday, accepting me to their MA program. Thought a few people might be interested to know, perhaps for future application cycles, that this is the last year Florida is accepting MA applicants. As it was explained to me, they will officially be combining the MA/PhD next year, which I was also told means that their Fall 2013 MA students who remain in good standing will automatically feed into their PhD program.

Offer is about $9,700 for two years, plus tuition and health insurance, teaching a 2-1 or a 1-2. Was also told summer funding is not guaranteed but is available.

I'm still wait listed at Michigan, and I think I'm going to wait that one out. But it's nice to know I could be *somewhere* next year (as I'm not in a position financially to seriously consider Chicago's MAPH program).

Got a call from the University of Florida yesterday, accepting me to their MA program. 

teaching a 2-1 or a 1-2.

Congrats!

Also, what does the 2-1, 1-2, 1-1, & etc. mean for teaching loads? I've also had some schools say 18 hours, 25%, or 45.5% appointments... can anyone shed any light on these terms for me?

Congrats!

Also, what does the 2-1, 1-2, 1-1, & etc. mean for teaching loads? I've also had some schools say 18 hours, 25%, or 45.5% appointments... can anyone shed any light on these terms for me?

It is how many classes you teach per year. A 1/2 is one class in the fall and 2 in the spring, while a 2/1 is one in the fall and 2 in the spring, etc.

Edited by asleepawake

Got a call from the University of Florida yesterday, accepting me to their MA program. Thought a few people might be interested to know, perhaps for future application cycles, that this is the last year Florida is accepting MA applicants. 

Congrats!

This makes me really sad, though. I was really hoping for their MA program. 

I haven't had the heart to call in and find out my status though. 

In at Villanova's MA. Funding decisions next week, apparently.

Congrats, thestage!  Now you have two (possibly) funded offers at two of the best English M.A. programs in the U.S.

I considered Villanova but ended up not applying.