Acceptance Freakout Thread

Vanderbilt requital e-mail arrived about an hour ago. Went 0 for 9 last year. Am awfully pleased.

Congrats!!! I'm a sucker for a redemption story on here.

Nothing for me either way from Vanderbilt (or anyone but bygones) and it is getting really scary. I honestly keep logging into my application because I keep convincing myself I never actually submitted it. (I did.)

Thanks so much for all the well-wishes, everybody.  I don't think I've stopped smiling since 4:15 this afternoon.  I can't even describe the relief of knowing that, no matter what happens, I'm going somewhere in the fall.  So I asked Natalie Dee to do it for me.

im-pleased-as-fuck.jpg

Thanks so much for all the well-wishes, everybody.  I don't think I've stopped smiling since 4:15 this afternoon.  I can't even describe the relief of knowing that, no matter what happens, I'm going somewhere in the fall.  So I asked Natalie Dee to do it for me.

im-pleased-as-fuck.jpg

Wish my upvotes weren't gone for the day. Congrats! That feeling is untouchable  ;)

im-pleased-as-fuck.jpg

Congratulations! I'm so so glad you heard good news this year. I absolutely feel the same way. Knowing that I'm getting a PhD somewhere next year is a wonderful feeling. I really hope more people hear good news soon!

I'm wondering that as well. I applied to Iowa and my status hasn't changed from "in progress." I was also under the impression based on communications with the DoE and the results board of previous years that results aren't usually released before the first week of March. And it looks like at least about ten people posted that they were admitted in 2011, and I'm assuming not everyone admitted posts on gradcafe. I'm trying to console myself by thinking that perhaps the admitted individuals were in comp/rhet or creative writing, but there's no way to tell based on the results page. 

I was wondering if you could tell me how to check my application status on the University of Iowa's admissions page for the English department

Absolutely loving seeing so many people get acceptances thus far. It's not only really encouraging for someone who still has another year before applying, but also a great look into what the emotional roller-coaster will be like (although I'm sure I can't really imagine it until I'm actually there)

You guys this thread is amazing. Datatape and D. Malorkus, I am so happy for you guys! Not only do you deserve the good news, but you are an inspiration to those of us who got shut out the first time. I don't even have any horses in the race this year and I'm still checking this page daily!

Also congrats do everyone who is getting good news. PhD apps are just being submitted over this side of the pond, so it's nice hearing some celebration over the hum of anxiety in my department :P

Congrats!!! I'm a sucker for a redemption story on here.

Nothing for me either way from Vanderbilt (or anyone but bygones) and it is getting really scary. I honestly keep logging into my application because I keep convincing myself I never actually submitted it. (I did.)

Also haven't heard a thing from Vanderbilt yet.  Blah.

Edited by jrockford27

I was wondering if you could tell me how to check my application status on the University of Iowa's admissions page for the English department

Sure! You should've received some login information when you applied "hawkeye ID" or something-- go to isis.uiowa.edu and login with that account info. On the right side of the screen there's a link to "admissions profile." Click there-- the screen that comes up shows you information about your application, your test scores, etc. Application status is listed on the middle of the page. Mine still says application in progress. Best of luck!

Hello folks, I just received word from a program that rejected me. My POI explained kindly what I could do to improve, and he gave me feedback about the committee's response to my application. It certainly sucks to have no acceptances thus far, but it is comforting to experience the humanity of the humanities. Here's to a productive week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPjYdef1lg

Hello folks, I just received word from a program that rejected me. My POI explained kindly what I could do to improve, and he gave me feedback about the committee's response to my application. It certainly sucks to have no acceptances thus far, but it is comforting to experience the humanity of the humanities. Here's to a productive week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPjYdef1lg

I'm curious, did you contact your POI, or did he contact you? In any case, it's important to know how your app could have been better, so at least something helpful came out of that rejection. I hope you have better luck elsewhere!

I'm curious, did you contact your POI, or did he contact you? In any case, it's important to know how your app could have been better, so at least something helpful came out of that rejection. I hope you have better luck elsewhere!

I sent a brief e-mail, upon notification of rejection, to the POI who I had been e-mailing for some months. Interestingly, one concern was that I was to tied to a specific discipline; this is interesting because I never mentioned this discipline explicitly, and I implicitly noted my intellectual shift from it. It was comforting to know, however, that I otherwise 'made the cut' and that funding was of primary concern.

I sent a brief e-mail, upon notification of rejection, to the POI who I had been e-mailing for some months. Interestingly, one concern was that I was to tied to a specific discipline; this is interesting because I never mentioned this discipline explicitly, and I implicitly noted my intellectual shift from it. It was comforting to know, however, that I otherwise 'made the cut' and that funding was of primary concern.

It's weird that they mentioned a discipline you weren't connected to, but yeah, it was probably the funding issue that sealed the deal. It sucks that something so important is basically out of your hands, but that's grad school apps for you.

I still have not heard from Ohio State or NYU. Assumed rejections?

Well, the graduate program director told both of us she guessed they would be done reviewing and processing by the end of this week, so I am not giving up on Ohio State yet!