Acceptance Freakout Thread

I have to agree. If you have legitimate evidence to prove that this has happened to you, you might contact the University or department and present that evidence. But it sounds like you are basing this off of an assumed-rejection and an iffy comment by a stranger on the internet that they were unaware of of any current students from Asia. Berkeley is ranked #1in English and gets close to 500 applications for 10-20 spots. There is NO ONE who is a shoe-in for that program, no matter how good their work is or how productive their contact with a POI has been.

I hope that you get good news very soon but your signature in the face of no real substantive evidence is definitely unprofessional and potentially libelous. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they received more applications this year because of the economic downturn. No work=bored people=need to upskill=apply to graduate school.

:lol: these things -- there will never be legitimate evidence, simply because you can't prove such things.

I suppose I should change it, in case I get sued :rolleyes: and I still have to be all professional right? so let's go ahead.

Of course, this kind of discrimination can go on behind closed doors, and I'm not saying it is impossible, even in a supposedly liberal and multicultural place like an English department. It just seems that you are jumping too much on a hunch and knocking an entire department which you have so long praised and which is incredibly difficult for anyone to get into.

Breathe, and enjoy the holiday. I hope you hear something good sound.

Edited by asleepawake

Of course, this kind of discrimination can go on behind closed doors, and I'm not saying it is impossible, even in a supposedly liberal and multicultural place like an English department. It just seems that you are jumping too much on a hunch and knocking an entire department which you have so long praised and which is incredibly difficult for anyone to get into.

OT. Are you visiting Buffalo?

If you do, I need someone to photocopy an article from their special collections!

Actually if there is anyone out there in Buffalo PM me please. I'm struggling to get this article via my university channels.

OT. Are you visiting Buffalo?

If you do, I need someone to photocopy an article from their special collections!

Actually if there is anyone out there in Buffalo PM me please. I'm struggling to get this article via my university channels.

I believe I'll be visiting in March but I have no details yet. I'd be willing to do this for you (assuming I'll have access to the special collections as a non-student/without an ID and such) if you send me the details and I end up going, but it won't be until next month.

I believe I'll be visiting in March but I have no details yet. I'd be willing to do this for you (assuming I'll have access to the special collections as a non-student/without an ID and such) if you send me the details and I end up going, but it won't be until next month.

Oh thank you. I'll try the usual channel again, and if no luck, I'll let you know. Thanks so much for the generousity (have I spelt that right?)!

I just had a talk with a friend. sorry I blew up -- whatever the case I shouldn't have.

thanks for your well wishes.

Too late for me. I saw the Pitt acceptances and consumed half a tub of ice cream (and half a bottle of wine) for dinner.

It's tough. I promised myself not to come back to Grad Cafe this cycle, yet here I am... whenever I see people posting up news about the unis I applied to, I tend to just go to sleep. This is playing merry hell with my current research. ;P

Accepted to the Afro-American studies MA program at Wisconsin with the option to finish with a PhD from the English department. I guess this makes up for the Michigan rejection. 

*does a little dance* 

afro-american studies is the shit. congratulations!

Edited by ErnestPWorrell

I'm going to put one foot in here, because I've just learnt that I am waitlisted at Pittsburgh's English+Film Studies program. I've almost 8-9 programs to hear back from, but goodness, this is my first bit of good news this season, and I dearly hope it will convert. 

Accepted to the Afro-American studies MA program at Wisconsin with the option to finish with a PhD from the English department. I guess this makes up for the Michigan rejection. 

*does a little dance* 

Congrats!