2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

Has anyone else not received an acceptance OR a rejection from UCLA? I see a wave of rejections, but I didn't get an email and I don't see that anything has changed on the website. I'm assuming it would be apparent where to look...

Has anyone else not received an acceptance OR a rejection from UCLA? I see a wave of rejections, but I didn't get an email and I don't see that anything has changed on the website. I'm assuming it would be apparent where to look...

I received an acceptance from UCLA on January 31st via email. Just said they were recommending my admission to the graduate office and that funding details were to follow.

I am calling this the "netherworld" of admission.  I am there with UCLA and Stanford at the moment.  No acceptance, no rejection.  I figure it means either I'm being rejected soon or am on some secret waitlist...

For those who have received Indiana and Wisconsin acceptances, is anything showing up on their admission websites?

Also, it's a little weird that only one rejection from Wisconsin has been reported so far. If over 300 people applied, you'd think more than 5 people would have posted their results here, right? (That's what I'm going to keep telling myself, at least)

For those who have received Indiana and Wisconsin acceptances, is anything showing up on their admission websites?

Also, it's a little weird that only one rejection from Wisconsin has been reported so far. If over 300 people applied, you'd think more than 5 people would have posted their results here, right? (That's what I'm going to keep telling myself, at least)

I don't see any updates on my account with Indiana. I need to remember where I stored my NETID for Madison, but it is possible that the person that reported a rejection called the department when he or she saw that others where getting news. Or, there might be people still under deliberation which the program has yet to notify.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

If you look at past results... only like 5 or so acceptances were posted each year on here for Wisconsin (not to be discouraging... I am also waiting to hear from them, lol).  But, yeah, I wonder about the veracity of that lone rejection....

I am calling this the "netherworld" of admission.  I am there with UCLA and Stanford at the moment.  No acceptance, no rejection.  I figure it means either I'm being rejected soon or am on some secret waitlist...

Netherworld, too true! Based on the timing of other acceptances/rejections I have a feeling I'm gonna land on a lot of waitlists. It would be nice to secure one more acceptance other than my safety so I can *kind of* relax.

Speaking of which - anyone know what happens as far as visitation weekends for waitlisted folks who end up getting accepted down the road? It could end up being a late decision on my part if things keep up the way they are.

People who got interview requests from Rutgers, any updates/info?

Hey Dea, 

I had an interview with Dr.Mische at Rutgers. She is a pretty awesome lady and the interview appeared to have went fine (with only some minor foot-in-mouth moments). I asked her when she would be making final decisions and she said within the next week or two. I forgot to ask her how many people were on her "short-list," so if anyone knows this info. please let me know! Did you by chance get an interview? If so, I hope it went well  :)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Hey Dea, 

I had an interview with Dr.Mische at Rutgers. She is a pretty awesome lady and the interview appeared to have went fine (with only some minor foot-in-mouth moments). I asked her when she would be making final decisions and she said within the next week or two. I forgot to ask her how many people were on her "short-list," so if anyone knows this info. please let me know! Did you by chance get an interview? If so, I hope it went well  :)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

I didn't get an interview, but I wasn't too worried about it because I had a pretty good phone conversation with a professor in my specialty earlier in the app process. Now that I know that the interview was with the director of the grad program, that makes me a little more nervous that I didn't get one! Glad to know it should only be another week or two before I know for sure, just trying to remind myself that I'm not rejected until I'm rejected.

Thanks so much for the update!!

Edited by Dea

I would strongly advise anyone against going to CUNY. I was admitted in 2010 and it was the same thing -- only two incoming students were given a "normal" five year package with fellowship and assistantship years. From what I can tell and have heard their strategy is to admit torrents of students with very short term contracts so they can staff the city colleges with adjuncts. I was told that second years would have to teach their own courses while essentially being paid like TAs (see http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/02/06/cuny-adjuncts-ask-not-be-called-professors-course-syllabuses-highlight-working). The graduate students I met were on absurd timelines like 10 year ABDs, and one mentioned working two jobs. Not to mention their placement is hardly extraordinary. The visit was shady and depressing, e.g., they didn't tell anyone their funding beforehand so all the prospectives were called in one by one into Kasinitz's offices to be told their package. Just seemed like a totally grim environment.

I didn't get an interview, but I wasn't too worried about it because I had a pretty good phone conversation with a professor in my specialty earlier in the app process. Now that I know that the interview was with the director of the grad program, that makes me a little more nervous that I didn't get one! Glad to know it should only be another week or two before I know for sure, just trying to remind myself that I'm not rejected until I'm rejected.

Thanks so much for the update!!

I know what you mean!! There's definitely still hope and who knows maybe some of us on the "short-list" didn't do so hot during our interviews  and some people may actually have secured spots already and don't have to interview.

Good luck and I will post if I find anything else out!

I would strongly advise anyone against going to CUNY. I was admitted in 2010 and it was the same thing -- only two incoming students were given a "normal" five year package with fellowship and assistantship years. From what I can tell and have heard their strategy is to admit torrents of students with very short term contracts so they can staff the city colleges with adjuncts. I was told that second years would have to teach their own courses while essentially being paid like TAs (see http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/02/06/cuny-adjuncts-ask-not-be-called-professors-course-syllabuses-highlight-working). The graduate students I met were on absurd timelines like 10 year ABDs, and one mentioned working two jobs. Not to mention their placement is hardly extraordinary. The visit was shady and depressing, e.g., they didn't tell anyone their funding beforehand so all the prospectives were called in one by one into Kasinitz's offices to be told their package. Just seemed like a totally grim environment.

It's a good warning, and I've heard some of the same. On the other hand, I have several friends at CUNY (mostly in the anthropology department, but a few in sociology) who love it, and they've all been able to secure funding for their research — but mostly through outside funding channels, and they had to hustle first year. There are some amazing social movement professors there too, which is important to me. We'll see though. I have a good offer from UCSB that I'll probably have to take over CUNY.

I know what you mean!! There's definitely still hope and who knows maybe some of us on the "short-list" didn't do so hot during our interviews and some people may actually have secured spots already and don't have to interview.

Good luck and I will post if I find anything else out!

Thanks!

On that note, anyone want to claim that Temple acceptance via phone?

(Finally) rejected at Northwestern. Why they waited a good 24 hours to inform me after everybody else, I'm not entirely sure, but at least the suspense is over. Two more to go, but given the Northwestern rejection and the likelihood of a Michigan rejection, my decision is getting easier by the day. I'm just happy I only applied to programs that I could really see myself attending.