2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

2 rejections posted from Arizona but no acceptences, is that very common?  I haven't heard anything from them at all.  Anyone want to claim one of the rejections and let us (me) know whether it was personalized or if it seemed like a mass email type thing?

2 rejections posted from Arizona but no acceptences, is that very common?  I haven't heard anything from them at all.  Anyone want to claim one of the rejections and let us (me) know whether it was personalized or if it seemed like a mass email type thing?
It was pretty standard. I was at work so I didnt look into the details but it was not personalized. So there is probably still a good chance. Best ok luck!

Where would you want to teach? I really wanted to apply, but as an older undergrad I can't afford to take a break from school. I highly recommend Detroit if you end up going that route.

My top choice for region is DC. 

I doubt I'll go that route, my heart is definitely in a sociology PhD program, but I think it's a great opportunity and the promise of actual job security is certainly appealing. 

It's always good to have options. 

It was pretty standard. I was at work so I didnt look into the details but it was not personalized. So there is probably still a good chance. Best ok luck!

Thanks, I appreciate the info, and sorry about the bad news, good luck with the rest of your applications.

Any idea when Vande typically notifies?

Judging from past years, I'm guessing sometime next week.

Hey guys -- first post here -- just got an automated email from Columbia to check my admissions decision on the website and found out I'm waitlisted:

"Thank you for applying to the Ph.D. program in Sociology. We are unable to offer you admission at this time; however, the Committee on Admissions has recommended that we place your name, along with a few others, on a short wait list."

Anyone else get news from them? Good luck to everyone!

Shouldn't hear from NW until the end of the month.  

When people post things like this, would they mind saying why they're saying this and how they know?

It seems these kinds of posts are simply rife with mere speculation or estimates based on previous years dates.

Shit is stressin' me out.

When people post things like this, would they mind saying why they're saying this and how they know?

It seems these kinds of posts are simply rife with mere speculation or estimates based on previous years dates.

It's a combination of previous cycle results, insider information and uncertainty reduction at play.  This sub-forum can get less than friendly so everyone tries to be helpful whilst protecting themselves. Bentham would have loved open-ended forums.. 

Hunches and whispers is all we have so we take it. 

Hey guys -- first post here -- just got an automated email from Columbia to check my admissions decision on the website and found out I'm waitlisted:

"Thank you for applying to the Ph.D. program in Sociology. We are unable to offer you admission at this time; however, the Committee on Admissions has recommended that we place your name, along with a few others, on a short wait list."

Anyone else get news from them? Good luck to everyone!

Where was the admission decision found? I just looked at where I submitted my application, but I didn't see anything different...

Bargaining chip?  Lol.

Maybe! I think the graduate teaching fellowships are about the same, but Oregon only offered me a .4 FTE and Oklahoma offered me .5 FTE which works out to about $2,000 more for 9 months. Oregon makes their offers based on whether applicants have an MA or BA coming in, I'm not sure how negotiable that is, but it certainly couldn't hurt to ask. I do find it somewhat amusing that I was offered more $$$ for an MA program than a PhD program. 

Where was the admission decision found? I just looked at where I submitted my application, but I didn't see anything different...

Got an email around 2pm EST telling me the following:

You may access your decision by logging into the online application athttps://apply.gsas.columbia.edu/apply/. In the “Status Update” section of your Application Status Page, please then click on the link titled "View Update.” A new browser window will appear with your decision.

Got an email around 2pm EST telling me the following:

You may access your decision by logging into the online application athttps://apply.gsas.columbia.edu/apply/. In the “Status Update” section of your Application Status Page, please then click on the link titled "View Update.” A new browser window will appear with your decision.

Thank you for your post. I haven't gotten any emails from Columbia and it doesn't say anything under my "status update". Have the acceptance emails been released already?

Bluegreygreen -- I haven't heard anything back, but maybe they are updating the system in pools (waitlists/accepted/rejected). Anyway, getting waitlisted at a school as competitive as Columbia is still a remarkable accomplishment and I hope it's a good omen for your other applications. Best of luck getting off the waitlist.

The application status website for Northwestern says they typically don't send out decisions until late February/early March. However, a quick check of the historical results here on grad cafe points more toward mid-February. They'll come when they come. Ohgoodness is right--it's mostly just idle speculation.

Edited by Tahoma