2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

I got an acceptance email from Stanford earlier this evening. It said that out of nearly 250 applicants, they were only offering admission to 25. I'm sorry if this is disappointing news, but I wish you the best of luck with your other applications! 

Congratulations!

Well, that's 3 likely rejections or possible wait lists. I really wish schools would send out rejections and wait lists at the same time. 

On another note, Stanford has been a dream school for me well...forever. But in all honesty, Dev. Soc at Cornell has and continues to be my top choice, not that I'm likely to get in there either but I absolutely love the work they do, and scholars they've produced (i.e. Raj Patel). 

Edited by xdarthveganx

I got an acceptance email from Stanford earlier this evening. It said that out of nearly 250 applicants, they were only offering admission to 25. I'm sorry if this is disappointing news, but I wish you the best of luck with your other applications!

Congratulations! :-)

But 25 out of 250 is a pretty big chunk for a PhD program, isn't it?

Which makes me doubt even more about my entire admission cycle. Oh well.

Any details on the Stanford acceptance? Just curious as there's only one and last year it looked like everyone accepted got notice around the same day (except for a few late ones a week later).

According to last year’s posted results for Stanford, generally speaking, they rolled out acceptances throughout a five day period- between Feb 4(Sat.)-Feb 8(Wed.)

So there is a chance all Stanford admits were not sent out yet.

Be optimistic! B)

Edited by Learn619

Wow 25 for the cohort or 25 admits? I'm trying to be optimistic that not all decisions have been made, but who knows. I would be pretty bummed as it's definitely my first choice and I had thought my interests were pretty consistent with the department.

@SocAwes13 :: Was the email automated or from a prof?

Here's to still hoping I have a chance.  :rolleyes:

Congratulations to all those who've received their acceptances! If you were accepted/ considering NC State, I was an Applied Sociology major there. So if you have non-Grad specific questions about the department or campus just send me a PM.

Congratulations! This is your second cycle right?

Yea! Rejected from all 5 programs last year and this year 2 interviews (& 2 rejections) so far. Things are looking up. Guess it was meant for me to be with family this year.

Yea! Rejected from all 5 programs last year and this year 2 interviews (& 2 rejections) so far. Things are looking up. Guess it was meant for me to be with family this year.

Even bigger congratulations then!  Perseverance for the win! 

So... Updates:

Someone got an acceptance from CUNY!

And it looks like UC-Davis is still making phone calls for admits, so for those of you who applied to Davis, it looks like there is hope! B)

Edited by Learn619

So... Updates:   Someone got an acceptance from CUNY!   And it looks like UC-Davis is still making phone calls for admits, so for those of you who applied to Davis, it looks like there is hope! B)
I'll claim the CUNY acceptance (and one of the UCLA). Got an email on Saturday evening NY time. Fellowship with 5 yr funding. Surprised I haven't seen more listed. As a note of encouragement, I was rejected across the board when applying straight from undergrad in 2006. After a masters and a few yrs of work and research experience, I significantly bulked up my application and it seems to be paying off. Good luck everyone!

I'll claim the CUNY acceptance (and one of the UCLA). Got an email on Saturday evening NY time. Fellowship with 5 yr funding. Surprised I haven't seen more listed.

CUNY is one of those schools that definitely admits in waves, just so everyone knows.  They admit the people they put up for university wide fellowship weeks before the people who have department funding.  I just remember because it's talked about on the board every year.

I got an admission letter from U Penn, but unlike others, I'm on a waiting list for funding. Anybody knows about their funding policy? I really cannot afford it without fundings...So I'm still quite nervous.

As a note of encouragement, I was rejected across the board when applying straight from undergrad in 2006. After a masters and a few yrs of work and research experience, I significantly bulked up my application and it seems to be paying off. Good luck everyone!

Good on ya! 

Wish I was young and could replan accordingly. Then again - straight and narrow trajectories are for the protected meh

So here's a question - how long do schools typically give students to accept/reject offers? My application deadlines ranged from mid-December to Feb. 1st so I won't hear from everyone until at least the end of March. Granted, I've yet to hear from anyone so it may not even be an issue.

So here's a question - how long do schools typically give students to accept/reject offers? My application deadlines ranged from mid-December to Feb. 1st so I won't hear from everyone until at least the end of March. Granted, I've yet to hear from anyone so it may not even be an issue.

April 15th unless stated otherwise.  International decision day since 0 b.c. 

On a related topic - are we supposed to hear a word from Duke this week? 

Edited by ohgoodness

I got an admission letter from U Penn, but unlike others, I'm on a waiting list for funding. Anybody knows about their funding policy? I really cannot afford it without fundings...So I'm still quite nervous.

lydialiu-- I'm in the same situation. I'd love to have more details if anyone has them. I wonder how many people are on the waitlist.

Feeling weird that I'm the only one who has heard from Rutgers. But I guess since profs are reaching out, it's likely that the results will be scattered.

I've been lurking (okay, obsessively checking this thread and results page), and now I'm extra anxious about hearing from Rutgers. It's the first school I've applied to that's popped up on the results page at all!

Feeling weird that I'm the only one who has heard from Rutgers. But I guess since profs are reaching out, it's likely that the results will be scattered.

Lemme chime in here - I got the same message from Rutgers (request for a phone interview, made via e-mail). I haven't posted it in the results list because I'm superstitious (lol) and want to wait until I know more about my chances.

But congrats, fellow potential Scarlet Knight! (Do students call themselves Scarlet Knights at RU? That seems awk.)

Oh and CONGRATS to whoever just posted the U of Michigan acceptances! That's my former sociology home, and it's an awesome program. GO BLUE.

Lemme chime in here - I got the same message from Rutgers (request for a phone interview, made via e-mail). I haven't posted it in the results list because I'm superstitious (lol) and want to wait until I know more about my chances.

But congrats, fellow potential Scarlet Knight! (Do students call themselves Scarlet Knights at RU? That seems awk.)

Oh and CONGRATS to whoever just posted the U of Michigan acceptances! That's my former sociology home, and it's an awesome program. GO BLUE.

Understandable! Sending you some good vibes. I just like to keep others posted so they aren't freaking out.  And I'm not sure what RU students call themselves lol Maybe just Knights?