2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

I've done everything I can at this point. My academic record is nearly flawless, and my CV is better than any other undergrads i've seen. My only blip is a slightly lower quant score, and the prestige of my undergraduate institution. I'm holding out hope but this long wait sucks. Kinda wish I had applied to Penn, or Ohio just so that I would know something by now. 

I've done everything I can at this point. My academic record is nearly flawless, and my CV is better than any other undergrads i've seen. My only blip is a slightly lower quant score, and the prestige of my undergraduate institution. I'm holding out hope but this long wait sucks. Kinda wish I had applied to Penn, or Ohio just so that I would know something by now. 

I think that a few of these factors are rather relative. An undergraduate institution's prestige matters to some extent but not much. If you check the graduate profiles at Ohio State, you'll see there are very few people who went to top 20 undergraduate institutions. Also, it would seem that your GRE score is only used to weed through applications. I have a feeling that these schools now add up your scores and cut from there ("We don't want anything less than 310.") rather than recalculating using the old scale.

You can only select so many applicants. If you don't get in, which we aren't hoping, it would be a number of other reasons that would keep you from being admitted. It could possibly be a GRE score. It could also be another reason that isn't quite quantifiable.

I know I'm saying this from the other side of the fence, but the most difficult part of this process isn't waiting. The most difficult part is selecting. It's a great feeling to be wanted, but just the thought of selecting a school frightens me. That's not to say that I'm unappreciative of my position, but this is me forewarning you that the toughest part has yet to come.

I know I'm saying this from the other side of the fence, but the most difficult part of this process isn't waiting. The most difficult part is selecting. It's a great feeling to be wanted, but just the thought of selecting a school frightens me. That's not to say that I'm unappreciative of my position, but this is me forewarning you that the toughest part has yet to come.

Oh, I don't know. If you're only accepted to one program, I imagine that simplifies the process greatly.  ;)

Congratulations to blobstarphd and blixx008! I'm so happy for you guys!

Just saw the Davis acceptance..is anyone going to claim it?

According to last years' results the acceptances are not all sent out on the same day (which I find incredibly reassuring at this point), but it would be nice to have some more insight on the matter :-)

The Davis acceptance is posted by me. I got a very brief letter from the committee chair, saying that the formal letter will be posted in the application system by next week, and the funding letter will be sent in 1 or 2 weeks, and she would like to set up a skype call with me about any further questions. It seems to be an individual mail. 

I thought there would be several more posts about Davis by today, but maybe they just reviewed the international students first, so please don't get too nervous~

The Davis acceptance is posted by me. I got a very brief letter from the committee chair, saying that the formal letter will be posted in the application system by next week, and the funding letter will be sent in 1 or 2 weeks, and she would like to set up a skype call with me about any further questions. It seems to be an individual mail. 

I thought there would be several more posts about Davis by today, but maybe they just reviewed the international students first, so please don't get too nervous~

Congratulations!

Got an acceptance call from the chair of the ad comm at UC Davis this morning. It won't let me enter it into the results page. It says I didn't answer the captcha correctly, but I don't see a captcha...

Details about funding and the visiting day will follow within the next couple of weeks. 

Has anyone else here applied to BU, Kent State, Temple or Northeastern? 

I didn't hear from Temple until Feb. 28 last year. Northeastern was March 4. Checked my email for the dates - also didn't get info about funding right away. Just fyi. 

WOOOOOT

Dear Randall:

Congratulations!  I am very happy to inform you that you have been admitted to the graduate program in sociology at the University of Oregon, beginning fall 2013.

My first notification is an acceptance! I take that as a very good sign!!!! 

Edited by xdarthveganx

Got an acceptance call from the chair of the ad comm at UC Davis this morning. It won't let me enter it into the results page. It says I didn't answer the captcha correctly, but I don't see a captcha...

Details about funding and the visiting day will follow within the next couple of weeks. 

Got one of those today as well. Congrats!