2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

Just remember - never trust a thing before the admits reach that critical level or someone claims it.  Anon-posting systems.. 

The Berkeley admit is pretty consistent with previous years. A couple of acceptances, a couple of waitlists by Jan 31st and a whole lot of rejections by Feb 10th!

Also, UCSD said Feb 7th is the date.

Anyone know what's up with the irvine acceptance? That was one of my top choices. 

Well, that was one of my top choices too. From all those results, I guess they sent out all the acceptance emails at once  :(

And did anyone claim the Berkeley acceptance posted yesterday? Seems pretty strange that only one person posted...

Maybe it was someone playing a cruel joke...

On a more positive note I just received an email from the honors council at my school notifying me that I received high honors in sociology. That is on top of graduating summa cum laude with my 3.95 GPA. Unfortunately, my school is slow as all hell and this was not reflected in any of my applications unfortunately. 

Well, that was one of my top choices too. From all those results, I guess they sent out all the acceptance emails at once  :(

Same.  Bummer for me.

That's 1 official rejection and 3 other schools I applied to have already sent out acceptances.  What little confidence I had is quickly draining.

Same.  Bummer for me.

That's 1 official rejection and 3 other schools I applied to have already sent out acceptances.  What little confidence I had is quickly draining.

Don't give up hope quite yet. I've read a bunch of stuff from people who thought schools were done making offers when they got one. 

How many more schools did you apply to? 

Don't give up hope quite yet. I've read a bunch of stuff from people who thought schools were done making offers when they got one. 

How many more schools did you apply to? 

9, one of which is the current institution where I'm getting my Master's, which is (hopefully) a failsafe.

Same.  Bummer for me.

You only need to get into one program.  I only got into one program, my top choice, and it's in the top ten.  Everything else in sociology was rejections, even a much lower ranked program or two.  Same thing happened to my girlfriend at the time with a different field: she got rejected everywhere, got waitlisted in the second best school she applied to, and into her top choice, which is indisputably the highest ranked program in her discipline.

Edited by jacib

UCSB is rolling out its rejections.  I'll claim one.  Wa...wa...waaaaa.

Kind of looks like the competition is vicious this year.

I'll claim another.  It's my 2nd rejection but this one really makes me sad. 

Just need one school...

UCSB is rolling out its rejections.  I'll claim one.  Wa...wa...waaaaa.

Kind of looks like the competition is vicious this year.

I've been mostly a lurker on this forum and I'm coming out to show my solidarity with the UCSB rejections :'( 

On a positive note, I can also claim one of the acceptances to the University of Oregon :)

Edited by herbie77

You only need to get into one program.  I only got into one program, my top choice, and it's in the top ten.  Everything else in sociology was rejections, even a much lower ranked program or two.  Same thing happened to my girlfriend at the time with a different field: she got rejected everywhere, got waitlisted in the second best school she applied to, and into her top choice, which is indisputably the highest ranked program in her discipline.
Yeah, the Berkeley ship seems to have sailed. So I am calming myself by focusing on messages such as yours.

A little late, but got the email from Ohio State on 1/16 and from UT-Austin on 1/30. Still haven't heard anything from Cornell, Duke, Harvard, NYU, Princeton, or UChicago.

Yeah, the Berkeley ship seems to have sailed. So I am calming myself by focusing on messages such as yours.

Seriously, it was not the best month or two for her between when I got into my top choice (the first school I heard back from) and when my then girlfriend got into her top choice (effectively the last school she heard from... of eighteen).  She went through a jillion stages of panic, the whole "I'm worthless, how could I think I was good enough, who am I, what is my future" thing.  It worked out.  Similarly, just be patient for this shitty a month or two. 

Seriously, it was not the best month or two for her between when I got into my top choice (the first school I heard back from) and when my then girlfriend got into her top choice (effectively the last school she heard from... of eighteen).  She went through a jillion stages of panic, the whole "I'm worthless, how could I think I was good enough, who am I, what is my future" thing.  It worked out.  Similarly, just be patient for this shitty a month or two. 

I always thinkof it as applying for a job at the European Union/U.N/WTO whatever - everyone is qualified and those who do not get it in; pour their energy and splendor into something as brilliant.  Or they try again if their hearts in it. 

We're all great; all splendid, all very tired.. 

Another reason for the non-answers:  yesterday was the deadline for alot of major funding/conferences so people have probably been working like crazy with that. Now that it's a new month and a new deadline period; time for some serious action! 

Edited by ohgoodness

Yeah, might as well claim one of those UCSB rejections. My last choice, and no chance that I would attend, thanks to the Minnesota acceptance, but rejection always stings. Santa Barbara is a fantastic department, and I'm sure I would have been happy there, but I'm mostly just annoyed that I bothered to fill out their application, which was easily the biggest pain in the ass of the whole process. Ah, well, hindsight and all that. Happy February to all, and good luck!

Ohgoodness, thank you! I'm looking through rose-colored shades today. My cereal this morning tasted like muesli culled from a hundred precious harvests and my juice like ambrosia straight from a heavenly font. :)

No more upvotes but you know what I mean.  My coffee still tastes dull and bland but it's free!