Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Based on the result page, the programs I've applied to in McGill and Carleton have sent acceptance offers to people, but I haven't heard anything yet. Am I being rejected?

Edited by WhyPhD

Based on the result page, the programs I've applied to in McGill and Carleton have sent acceptance offers to people, but I haven't heard anything yet. Am I being rejected?

If you applied to the Comm PHD at McGill, I haven't seen anything on the results page. I have seen two from AHCS in general but it looks like they are on the Art History side. I've also applied to McGill for the Comm phd and haven't heard anything or seen much indication that anyone has. From what I can tell from past year results they respond later in march, they did when they rejected me from the masters program 2 years ago anyway. So, I'm hoping we just haven't heard because they haven't made decisions yet, not because we didn't get in... although I do admit Mcgill to be a long shot and fully expect to get rejected. Putting far more faith in SFU.

Just got into Queen's sociology MA with full funding and an OGS! I AM SO EXCITED!!! 

Congrats! That's really good news, and awesome that you received full funding - I am considering Carleton but heard that they clawback funding if you receive SSHRC or OGS, so I'm a bit disappointed by that.

Once again, congrats! You must be thrilled :lol:

Are you willing to contact the department? What does your status say?

I heard from Carleton (PhD Legal Studies), but by fluke, IMO - I rarely check my voicemail, and I had a message from a professor congratulating me. Other than that, my status still says "review in progress by department"... 

...funny thing - I was so excited, and in my routine with what I do with voicemail messages (deleting them)... I accidentally deleted it! I can't even remember his name I was so shocked! He said he'd call back though in a few days in case I couldn't contact him... so I'm keeping my phone fully charged and in service areas! :) [i'm actually embarrassed to admit that, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to do that... lol]

The wait for my official offer is killing me now... that's what I want to see!

Good luck WhyPhD! 

Congrats! That's really good news, and awesome that you received full funding - I am considering Carleton but heard that they clawback funding if you receive SSHRC or OGS, so I'm a bit disappointed by that.

Once again, congrats! You must be thrilled :lol:

Re: clawback of funding from Carleton - REALLY!?

Where'd you hear that?

I was just reading the Graduate Handbook and it doesn't mention anything about that (not that I expect it would, lol)... but it does say those who were successful with external funding (SSHRC/OGS) are also eligible for internal funding. TAs are 10g and RAs are anywhere up to 20g (based on contract)... plus internal awards based on GPA. If you don't mind me asking, what is your GPA according to Carleton's 12pt scale? Mine is 11.

The clawback thing will definitely give me something to think about. 

Re: clawback of funding from Carleton - REALLY!?

Where'd you hear that?

I was just reading the Graduate Handbook and it doesn't mention anything about that (not that I expect it would, lol)... but it does say those who were successful with external funding (SSHRC/OGS) are also eligible for internal funding. TAs are 10g and RAs are anywhere up to 20g (based on contract)... plus internal awards based on GPA. If you don't mind me asking, what is your GPA according to Carleton's 12pt scale? Mine is 11.

The clawback thing will definitely give me something to think about. 

Well, I heard this from user crimsoc - he's currently an MA2 student there. I am not sure if the same applies to PhD's though. I'm sure if you contact the grad program director and tell them that school X gave you more, they might be able to match it.

I'm not familiar with Carleton's GPA scale. On a 9 point scale, my GPA is 8.5/9.

Has anyone heard back from University of Toronto (OISE)? Applications were due November 15 last year and the wait is killing me... Slowly but surely.

I am also waiting to hear from OISE. I applied to MA School and Clinical Psychology too.  Their website indicates they will have results out in early April.  I was hoping to hear about interviews before then.  Does anyone know if they will interview?  The wait is rather a challenge!

Well, I heard this from user crimsoc - he's currently an MA2 student there. I am not sure if the same applies to PhD's though. I'm sure if you contact the grad program director and tell them that school X gave you more, they might be able to match it.

I'm not familiar with Carleton's GPA scale. On a 9 point scale, my GPA is 8.5/9.

damn... in the financial handbook, it states:

PLEASE NOTE: If you are a recipient of an external award/ scholarship, your scholarship could be reduced by up to 50 per cent of the value of your external award/scholarship.

I'll see how my offer looks when I get it!! Hopefully no clawbacks!

Has anyone heard anything from York MA Development Studies?

I also applied to the MPP program at U of T. First round of offers have gone out, and I'm getting really nervous and axious because I haven't heard anything. For people who have received an offer to this program, when is the due date to accept? 

Anyone who is waiting for Master's of Anthropology at U of T or Calgary, I've talked to both departments and they are meeting on Monday.

Good luck!

Oh thank god. I'm dying to know about U of T. I'm going for the MSc program and I have rave reviews from my supervisor of choice and good grades BUT U of T is one of those schools where a commitee decides for the entire department so it's a bit random. Fingers crossed.

What kind of masters are you going for? Ma, or Msc and in archaeo or sociocultural or physcal anth? Good luck! Calgary also has a great school.

I also applied to the MPP program at U of T. First round of offers have gone out, and I'm getting really nervous and axious because I haven't heard anything. For people who have received an offer to this program, when is the due date to accept? 

The due date to accept is April 1st.

Good luck!!

I'm waiting on Trent and Western for Canadian Studies & Women's Studies.

Very nervous.

I did my undergrad at Trent (sociology/English lit.)! I always like to give shout-outs to Trent applicants because the school is tiny and sometimes overlooked and I had an AMAZING experience there! Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions! Good luck!

I did my undergrad at Trent (sociology/English lit.)! I always like to give shout-outs to Trent applicants because the school is tiny and sometimes overlooked and I had an AMAZING experience there! Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions! Good luck!

Awesome. Thanks for that. I applied because it was small. For Canadian Studies with Women's studies specialty. It's such a great campus. My brother is doing his undergrad there. I had a hell of a time getting my application to them on time but they were great. Now i just wait and hope.

I too have applied for the MA Dev Studies but no news yet. Their deadline to apply was Feb 27 so I am not expecting a response any time soon :/

Just a question, do Canadian schools keep any data at all on rates of acceptance for graduate programs etc.. per program/university. I've searched but can't find anything. I think that's strange. I find it weird that I can't even find out how may full time students each school accepts.

First time applying for PhD entrances. I've applied to three schools, York-Ryerson (ComCult), Carleton (Communiction) and Western (Media Studies). I've noticed that carleton and western have both begun admitting students into their respective programs. Anybody else waiting to hear back from these places? I'm so anxious, I just want an answer already...

They dont usually post these things since acceptance rates change year to year. I found out the details on my program by attending an information session but even that only mentioned the last year.  You can usually find out informally by calling and asking.

Just a question, do Canadian schools keep any data at all on rates of acceptance for graduate programs etc.. per program/university. I've searched but can't find anything. I think that's strange. I find it weird that I can't even find out how may full time students each school accepts.