Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Yes, Ryerson in its FAQ says decisions will be from Mid-March all the way into summer which is really late.

Nothing yet on grad results survey either. Once heard a Ryerson Prof said they got 400 applications for some 40-ish spots; so can only assume it takes sometime for them to determine who they want in their program. Here's to hoping we both make it ;) !

Wish the decision would come sooner so I can figure out what courses I should take this summer!

P.S. Will be interesting to see when the MPPA program is marked as full. Do you think they start assessing after it's full?! Or do they rely on self-selection where most people will submit before January 13, some until late Januray early Feb and then perhaps a small percentage in March/April/May so they would start assessing in February since most of their applications would be in by then?....Can you tell I spend too much time thinking about this lol, I need a break.

shitting_bricks - I mailed york last friday and on monday they said they hoped that they would announce results by next week or there about.  So I suggest waiting a few days give or take.  Almost there lol! 

Good Luck!

Ps. Out of curiosity, what are your marks/credentials? 

Yes, Ryerson in its FAQ says decisions will be from Mid-March all the way into summer which is really late.

Nothing yet on grad results survey either. Once heard a Ryerson Prof said they got 400 applications for some 40-ish spots; so can only assume it takes sometime for them to determine who they want in their program. Here's to hoping we both make it ;) !

Wish the decision would come sooner so I can figure out what courses I should take this summer!

P.S. Will be interesting to see when the MPPA program is marked as full. Do you think they start assessing after it's full?! Or do they rely on self-selection where most people will submit before January 13, some until late Januray early Feb and then perhaps a small percentage in March/April/May so they would start assessing in February since most of their applications would be in by then?....Can you tell I spend too much time thinking about this lol, I need a break.

Honestly, i would presume that they would start feb/march because most applicants have applied to multiple schools. So if their committee met too late to assess applicants, most acceptances would have already have been extended by then. Thus their potential applicant pool would be significantly smaller. idk, that just what i think. Who know hows these things work haha

But yeah it would totally be awesome if we both got in! although i applied to UofT and Waterloo as well, so if all goes well i might have a to prioritize. And trust me i am equally consumed into this whole process as you are lol

also what are your grades like?? i have a 3.7 cGPA and a 3.9 last two years.

also what are your grades like?? i have a 3.7 cGPA and a 3.9 last two years.

Last two years around 3.7-3.8

cGPA shot by first year in biological sciences 3.3 ish... but have 4+ years of relevant work experience.

Also about to complete post-graduate certificate in public administration.

If I'm not accepted this year, I'll focus on completing some econ and project management classes and apply again next year.

But I have a good feeling about this year :) .

I just found out I got into professional communication at Ryerson! $12,000 scholarship. I am in shock I cannot believe it. I have a 78-80% average (depending on how you look at it) and I have communications experience within my school. Good luck to everyone here!!

wstrngrl - Can I ask if your funding is for year one or both years? Does this include TA/RA? Thanks!

wstrngrl - Can I ask if your funding is for year one or both years? Does this include TA/RA? Thanks!

Hey! The program is only one full year (September 2013-August 2014) so the TA is only one year. And the funding is full year. I calculated that the program costs $14,000 for the whole program and I got $12,000. I get $7000 up front as a scholarship and $5000 to be a TA. 

Hey! The program is only one full year (September 2013-August 2014) so the TA is only one year. And the funding is full year. I calculated that the program costs $14,000 for the whole program and I got $12,000. I get $7000 up front as a scholarship and $5000 to be a TA. 

Oh that's awesome! Congrats :)

Thanks for the info.

Found out details of York PhD funding in anthropology. Not posting for the sake of anonymity, but contact me if you would like details. Hint: it exceeds the majority of Canadian anthro PhD funding including UofT. Certainly gives York a lot of pull in my decision making process!

Found out details of York PhD funding in anthropology. Not posting for the sake of anonymity, but contact me if you would like details. Hint: it exceeds the majority of Canadian anthro PhD funding including UofT. Certainly gives York a lot of pull in my decision making process!

Could you please check your message box?

Sent applications to three universities in Canada, complete silence since then. No response to emails i've sent, even after resending under the assumption they got lost in the mix. Results search shows they have all sent out some offers. Feeling stranded at the moment

Sent applications to three universities in Canada, complete silence since then. No response to emails i've sent, even after resending under the assumption they got lost in the mix. Results search shows they have all sent out some offers. Feeling stranded at the moment

contact the departments...

Got an offer from U Calgary today, but they want me to accept or decline it in 10 days (March 31). I haven't heard from other schools yet, in particular from my top choice where I am on the waiting list.

What should I do now? Is it rude to put deadlines for other schools to announce my aplication result? 

you might be on the wait list for some months now. rather than squirm to UCal, start e-mailing the other schools. Ask if you could know you application status as you are already considering other offers. If you don't hear back favourably and quickly, I suggest accepting the offer from Calgary.

I posted this in the Psychology subsection but maybe one of you guys knows the answer. 

Hey does anyone that applied to U of T know if the reported student number was there when you first made the account? Looking at the information shows that you can input one if you were a former student, for undergraduate for example, which I was not. I just can't seem to remember if it was there before or has recently been generated. 

Eagerly waiting to hear back from McGill's PhD in Epidemiology program! Has anyone else applied to this program?

(Best of luck to everyone in your academic pursuits!)

Carleton Central status just changed from "Recommended for Assessment" to "Review in progress by department".

Anybody else?

Seems to be a good sign for the MSW department, but I know these things are program/department specific.

Mine has been stuck on "recommended for assessment" for three weeks. Was told two weeks ago by the Department admin that I should hear something definite by last Mon/Tues. No change, no word. Losing my mind!

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question. I applied to another program and was not an undergrad student at U of T. But I'm pretty sure that I do recall seeing the option to input an existing student number when I first created my application account.

I posted this in the Psychology subsection but maybe one of you guys knows the answer. 

Are you referring to the application #? When you get admitted, you do get a student # which is different than your application #.  Is the number that you see the same as your application # or is it different all together?  

I know it has the option to but since I didn't attend I left it blank. Looking at it now it has a number but that might just be given to every applicant. 

Incase anyone else is waiting to hear from SFU about a phd in communications, I heard from the department that they are finalizing their decisions and we should be hearing "shortly". Not exactly how soon that will be, hopefully this week. At least it means there is some movement. Excited to hear, good luck everyone!