Canadian school applicants

bedmas

I didn't see a topic like this (at least, not program specific), so I thought I would start something for those of us applying to schools in Canada!

My first applications (SFU and University of Manitoba) were due today, so I guess now it's sit and stir time... anyone else? I know some Canadian schools were January 15.

I've applied to MA programs at Concordia, UOttawa, UVictoria, and SFU. Concordia and Victoria were due the 15th, SFU was the 25th, and UOttawa is due today. I don't expect to hear back until mid March.

Sitting and stirring with you!

It's amazing how deadlines vary within schools, but program to program! My UVic application isn't due until Feb 15, but the application status has already changed from "Submitted" to "App forwarded for review" to "App forwarded: Interim Review". It's driving me nuts! 

Mmm, my UVic app still says "App forwarded for review." Concordia was updated yesterday from something along the lines of "We will begin processing in the next few weeks" to "Your file is being assessed and we will notify you when a decision has been made." It's good to see change, but I second your feeling of being driven nuts. I hope I get an "interim" soon, haha. 

I've received an official offer of admission to UBC and unofficial to Guelph

Congrats! If you don't mind my asking, how many schools did you apply to? Everyone I know in Canada applies to 1-2, and it doesn't seem like too many on here, either. I can't even imagine applying to 15 schools, mostly because there are so few up here.

I applied to 4

I was also surprised at how many schools my american counterparts have applied to. I think that the difference is that most Canadian PhD applicants already have masters degrees and specific research interests. That helps to limit the breadth of potential supervisors. It certainly has for me. Correct me if I am wrong but a large number of people here are undergrads.

I do think that it's a lot of undergrads here. I'm still not over Bachelors ==> PhD in the states! I'm just finishing up my undergraduate and I can't imagine applying to phd programs right now. I understand the first bit is like a "Masters", but still

I have applied for 4 Ph.D. programs in Canada. I am an international applicant and this is my second year.

Three Ph.D. programs at York: Environmental Studies, Political Science and Social and Political Thought

One Ph.D. program at McMaster: Political Science

I've applied to 5 Universities: Waterloo, Queens, McGill, Ottawa and UBC. 

Still waiting to hear from the first 4, but I will also be at UBC's recruitment weekend this coming weekend. Super excited!

I have applied to 11 programs in total, 9 of which are Canadian. Fingers crossed for UVic. I've applied for Political Science M.A. programs, and my area is political theory.

I have been on the lawstudents.ca forum a lot but I just discovered this one! 

I'm applying to joint JD-MA programs so it's nice to find a place to read about the MA acceptances as well.

Good luck to all!

Oh, wonderful! A Canada thread :) I was starting to feel a bit inundated by all of the American applicants...

I applied to UBC, UofT, Queen's, and Western for MA programs...and all of my applicaitons were due mid-to-end of January, so now it's just a waiting game. I have to agree with the whole MA-before-PhD thing. In fact, a few of my profs advised strongly against doing a PhD right out of undergrad, and were completely baffled by this "recent" trend (at least in my field, I suppose?) of skipping the MA.  Makes sense to me--I'd rather hold off on committing 5-7 years of my life on a project until I've got my feet on the ground running, as far as grad school goes.

Anyone else feeling like they have NO idea what the applicant pool is like for their programs? I guess that's the downside to a small Canadian representation on here

No bloody clue. It's really frustrating, actually. I don't even know anyone applying for programs at all like the ones I've applied to... sigh. I just skimmed a thread I found that was sort of like this one from last year (can you tell I really don't want to work on my honours thesis right now? It should be obvious) and that wasn't terribly helpful either.