Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Resist temptation!! I would check it out first. Maybe I'm only saying that because you might still get into McGill, and their campus is so beautiful that it would be enough to drag me away from waterloo (I say this as someone who is applying to neither school, haha).

Wow you were right! Soon after I read this I got an email from McGill saying I was being recommended by the department. I am not sure what I am going to do now! The program at McGill (medical physics) is non-thesis for the first year, so funding is definitely going to be an issue. 

Gah, I'm so confused, I was dead-set on Waterloo until a few minutes ago. And yes, I have heard McGill is very beautiful  :rolleyes:

Wow you were right! Soon after I read this I got an email from McGill saying I was being recommended by the department. I am not sure what I am going to do now! The program at McGill (medical physics) is non-thesis for the first year, so funding is definitely going to be an issue. 

Gah, I'm so confused, I was dead-set on Waterloo until a few minutes ago. And yes, I have heard McGill is very beautiful  :rolleyes:

ahh!! congrats!

I received word from UVic today asking about external funding. They said "an admission offer will follow shortly." So I assume I've been accepted, if they're looking into funding for me.

The end of this madness is soon upon us, friends. Hang in there.

congrats! i'm still on interim review...  :rolleyes: any time now, schools!

Accepted to SFU! Unfortunately they didn't offer me funding, although they did say I'm "eligible for competitive funding opportunities." Judging by their handbook I assume people normally get funding offers with their acceptance, so I'm kind of sad. Ah well, it's great just to get in.

Accepted to SFU! Unfortunately they didn't offer me funding, although they did say I'm "eligible for competitive funding opportunities." Judging by their handbook I assume people normally get funding offers with their acceptance, so I'm kind of sad. Ah well, it's great just to get in.

Was your offer of admission letter from the school of graduate studies or from your department? financial packages are provided by the department not the sgs

Was your offer of admission letter from the school of graduate studies or from your department? financial packages are provided by the department not the sgs

It was from the school of graduate studies. I am hopeful again! Thanks :P

http://www.english.sfu.ca/grad/funding Guaranteed Funding Packages

Our success as an innovative graduate program depends largely on recruiting outstanding graduate students and enabling them to realize their potential. We offer the financial resources to allow eligible students to focus on their studies, to gain valuable teaching experience, and to complete their degrees in a timely manner.

Eligible PhD students in English are offered funding based on a combination of teaching assistantships and internal fellowships of at least $19,000 per annum for up to four years of doctoral studies.

Eligible MA students in the first year of registration are currently offered a minimum level of funding through teaching assistantship appointments valued at approximately $10,900. Our top M.A. students also receive merit-based scholarships upon entrance into the program and all students may qualify for a merit-based scholarship later in the program.

http://www.english.sfu.ca/grad/funding Guaranteed Funding Packages

Our success as an innovative graduate program depends largely on recruiting outstanding graduate students and enabling them to realize their potential. We offer the financial resources to allow eligible students to focus on their studies, to gain valuable teaching experience, and to complete their degrees in a timely manner.

Eligible PhD students in English are offered funding based on a combination of teaching assistantships and internal fellowships of at least $19,000 per annum for up to four years of doctoral studies.

Eligible MA students in the first year of registration are currently offered a minimum level of funding through teaching assistantship appointments valued at approximately $10,900. Our top M.A. students also receive merit-based scholarships upon entrance into the program and all students may qualify for a merit-based scholarship later in the program.

Mmm I had read all of their funding information, which led to most of my disappointment. My application-crazed-brain went straight to "Maybe I'm a last place pick out of a tiny pool of applicants and they don't think I'm good enough to be a TA"

Congratulations!

I keep checking Carleton Central like mad. I know they send emails, but it's fun to push buttons! :P lol

congrats!! I'm checking my SFU application pretty much religiously... so much that I finally memorized that silly GA###### login. Getting reaaaal sick of seeing "No offer has been made"  :rolleyes:

congrats!! I'm checking my SFU application pretty much religiously... so much that I finally memorized that silly GA###### login. Getting reaaaal sick of seeing "No offer has been made"  :rolleyes:

Chin up! It will come soon :D

It was from the school of graduate studies. I am hopeful again! Thanks :P

Congrats! Hopefully they'll get back to you with funding shortly! :)

I'm in the same boat myself as far as crossing my fingers and waiting for funding is concerned... it's just more waiting games, really.

Got a phone call from UAlberta last night. Got (informally) accepted into their sociology PhD program. Still waiting on UToronto criminology and UOttawa criminology. I heard from a prof at UOttawa that the Crim Department that the selection committee will be sitting to review applications March 8th.

Best of luck to all applicants.

Got a phone call from UAlberta last night. Got (informally) accepted into their sociology PhD program. Still waiting on UToronto criminology and UOttawa criminology. I heard from a prof at UOttawa that the Crim Department that the selection committee will be sitting to review applications March 8th.

Best of luck to all applicants.

Congratulations!! :D

Congratulations!! :D

Thanks! Hoping for UToronto though. From what i heard the criminology PhD program is HIGHLY competitive. As in, they let only TWO cadidates in last year. I don't even know why I'm getting the slightest of hopes up though.

Has anyone received any news from Concordia yet?

I got word today from Concordia that I've been accepted with funding. Have you heard anything?

Also, I have a (very silly) question about tuition there. So, the English MA is a 45 credit degree and I am a non-Quebecer. According to their tuition fee calculator, it'll be about 11 grand for my degree... but they estimate that over a year of study, not two. I read it as 11 grand per year, not total, because it does say that each term is about ~2600. How do you read this? It's my top choice, but I really would rather not pay 22 grand for a degree that is 10-12 elsewhere  ;)