Canadian school applicants

bedmas

I got word today from Concordia that I've been accepted with funding. Have you heard anything?

Also, I have a (very silly) question about tuition there. So, the English MA is a 45 credit degree and I am a non-Quebecer. According to their tuition fee calculator, it'll be about 11 grand for my degree... but they estimate that over a year of study, not two. I read it as 11 grand per year, not total, because it does say that each term is about ~2600. How do you read this? It's my top choice, but I really would rather not pay 22 grand for a degree that is 10-12 elsewhere  ;)

I was accepted with funding as well. Were you offered a TAship? Did you apply to McGill too?

About the tuition, I am not 100% sure. Does this link help at all?

http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/tuition-and-fees/graduate/regulations/

Congratulations by the way! Let me know if you have any specific questions about the program, I am very familar with Concordia.

I was accepted with funding as well. Were you offered a TAship? Did you apply to McGill too?

About the tuition, I am not 100% sure. Does this link help at all?

http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/tuition-and-fees/graduate/regulations/

Congratulations by the way! Let me know if you have any specific questions about the program, I am very familar with Concordia.

The link helps, thank you! I am under the impression that it's 11 for the entire program. At least, I hope. 

I received both a fellowship nomination and a TAship from Concordia - I'm incredibly excited. I have a similar offer from UVic, and I'm still waiting on UOttawa. I didn't apply to McGill, but it's still on the radar if I decide to pursue a PhD. 

Congratulations on your acceptance! Are you from Montreal/do your undergrad there? I've been looking into the city quite a bit and it seems pretty awesome. The cycling infrastructure and functional transit system seem impressive, not to mention the diversity of the city. 

Edited by courtc8891

The link helps, thank you! I am under the impression that it's 11 for the entire program. At least, I hope. 

I received both a fellowship nomination and a TAship from Concordia - I'm incredibly excited. I have a similar offer from UVic, and I'm still waiting on UOttawa. I didn't apply to McGill, but it's still on the radar if I decide to pursue a PhD. 

Congratulations on your acceptance! Are you from Montreal/do your undergrad there? I've been looking into the city quite a bit and it seems pretty awesome. The cycling infrastructure and functional transit system seem impressive, not to mention the diversity of the city. 

I'm currently finishing up my undergraduate degree at Concordia. Montreal is a great city, everyone loves it! Good luck with UOttawa and congratulations again!

Edited by venusandback

I had applied to UBC, UofT, UVic, UNB, SFU, U of Alberta, and York. I thought since I was an international student and a non-native English speaker, and that I was applying for an MA in English, I would have a better chance of getting into grad school if I applied to a variety of schools. So far I have received a letter of admission from UNB for an MA in creative writing. I was surprised to get a response only two weeks after I had submitted my app. I have been told that UNB offers one of the best creative writing progs in Canada. I'm not certain yet though.

I have also been rejected by U of Alberta, and I'm waiting out for other letters to come around.

I just received my acceptance from UToronto for MI. Yay!

For those of you still waiting, stay strong. This process is gruelling!

You are very lucky. You must be an excellent student. 2 offers and yet some of us have not even heard anything. I am so jealous

I had applied to UBC, UofT, UVic, UNB, SFU, U of Alberta, and York. I thought since I was an international student and a non-native English speaker, and that I was applying for an MA in English, I would have a better chance of getting into grad school if I applied to a variety of schools. So far I have received a letter of admission from UNB for an MA in creative writing. I was surprised to get a response only two weeks after I had submitted my app. I have been told that UNB offers one of the best creative writing progs in Canada. I'm not certain yet though.

I have also been rejected by U of Alberta, and I'm waiting out for other letters to come around.

Congratulations on UNB! I have heard similar things about their program being exceptional. 

York extended their anthro deadline until the end of March. Anyone know how this effects those who applied by the Jan. 15th deadline? Does this mean they didn't get enough applicants? Don't like the ones they received? The number of faculty available for supervision changed?

Gah.

I was accepted to the MA program in Sociology at UVic via email this evening. 2/2 for Canadian schools thus far, still leaning towards Oregon but an acceptance at Toronto would give me something serious to think about. 

Congrats on your current acceptances! I'm in the Soc dept. at U of T (PhD). It's awesome! If you get in and have questions, feel free to PM me!

Thanks! Hoping for UToronto though. From what i heard the criminology PhD program is HIGHLY competitive. As in, they let only TWO cadidates in last year. I don't even know why I'm getting the slightest of hopes up though.

Congrats on your admission accomplishments thus far! The Crim Centre at U of T is very tiny and competitive! It is, as well, a lovely and productive department. I got in everywhere, except there, last year. I had confirmed an acceptance in March, e-mailed the Centre to let them know, and got a rejection letter about 2 months later (early May). You should absolutely retain hope, but just be aware that their notification time-frame could be maddening, if you're relying on a response from them before you make a decision! Best of luck!

York extended their anthro deadline until the end of March. Anyone know how this effects those who applied by the Jan. 15th deadline? Does this mean they didn't get enough applicants? Don't like the ones they received? The number of faculty available for supervision changed?

Gah.

Have you already applied for that program? If so, you should email them about this issue. If I were u I would ask either this extention will have influence on regular admission or not.

Congrats on your current acceptances! I'm in the Soc dept. at U of T (PhD). It's awesome! If you get in and have questions, feel free to PM me!

Congrats on your admission accomplishments thus far! The Crim Centre at U of T is very tiny and competitive! It is, as well, a lovely and productive department. I got in everywhere, except there, last year. I had confirmed an acceptance in March, e-mailed the Centre to let them know, and got a rejection letter about 2 months later (early May). You should absolutely retain hope, but just be aware that their notification time-frame could be maddening, if you're relying on a response from them before you make a decision! Best of luck!

What are your thoughts on accepting an offer and reneging later on? I'm thinking of accepting my offer at UA tentativley in the case that I do mangage to squeeze into the Center of Crim at U of T. I know this is a 'faux-pas' but surely this has happend in the past?

I will receive my my offical letter next week and apparently will have only two weeks to make a decision (honestly quite ridiculous if you ask me!).

Has anyone heard ANYTHING back from the counselling psychology Program at UBC yet? If I'm correct, they don't have interviews so they may send out their admission/rejection letters a little late? If anyone here applied to this program before, when did you get notified by them?

Edited by chinesevitamin

I was accepted to McMaster for MA in history with funding and a TA position last week. I am still waiting on Uoft-history and CMS, and York and Queens.

I have the same question as crimsoc...I only have until march 1st to accept McMaster's offer but it's not my first choice. Should I accept the offer then bail out if I get into UofT?

I've been accepted so far at SFU, UVic, and Concordia (still waiting on Ottawa U). At the moment I'm leaning toward Concordia because they have a prof that I really want to work with, and we've already exchanged emails with him so I know he's on board (and is also teaching a course on my research topic, so it seems like the perfect choice).

However, browsing around this website there are a lot of people (mostly in the US) who are concerned with the ranking of their schools. This may sound like a silly question, but Concordia doesn't seem to be that well known. Do you think that'll hurt my chances of getting into a PhD program...?

Concordia is not a very good school academically but it won't hurt your chances at a PhD provided that you have top grades and demonstrate your research potential by attending conferences and by publishing. However, Concordia offers the potential for a great quality of life because it is in the middle of downtown montreal - and unlike UQAM, its not in the crackhead part. It is easily accessible from many Montreal neighbourhoods. I live 6 km away from the downtown campus and it takes me 20 minutes by public transit to get to school.  It also has decent facilities. Understand that there is a great deal of campus unrest in terms of political activism but it is also chronically underfunded and facing deep budget cuts by the provincial government. None of this is likely to affect you unless your compatriots decide to shut down your department again, which i suppose is possible. Returning to academics, SFU is probably better than Concordia but these are all lower rung canadian schools so I don't think you need to worry about concordia's ranking.

Concordia is not a very good school academically but it won't hurt your chances at a PhD provided that you have top grades and demonstrate your research potential by attending conferences and by publishing. However, Concordia offers the potential for a great quality of life because it is in the middle of downtown montreal - and unlike UQAM, its not in the crackhead part. It is easily accessible from many Montreal neighbourhoods. I live 6 km away from the downtown campus and it takes me 20 minutes by public transit to get to school.  It also has decent facilities. Understand that there is a great deal of campus unrest in terms of political activism but it is also chronically underfunded and facing deep budget cuts by the provincial government. None of this is likely to affect you unless your compatriots decide to shut down your department again, which i suppose is possible. Returning to academics, SFU is probably better than Concordia but these are all lower rung canadian schools so I don't think you need to worry about concordia's ranking.

Mmm, I talked about it with my current advisor and he said it was quite common to use an MA as a "springboard" into a PhD program. The goal is to be as competitive as possible at whatever institution I accept. Thanks for the insight, selecttext. 

Lots of Concordia masters students go on to pursue PhDs at excellent schools. If your advisor thinks otherwise then he is completely wrong. Hell, I am starting my PhD in September...

To clarify what I said before: he meant that the MA school, regardless of academic prestige, can lead to a reputable PhD. 

Also: congrats on the PhD acceptance.

Edited by courtc8891