Canadian school applicants

bedmas

In regards to the value of Concordia (or Canadian universities in general). a few things to keep in mind.

If by the time you graduate you have not much to show except what school you went to, then yes the school you went to matters.  However, this importance quickly fades when publications, conferences, connections, and other factors come to play.

If you will be well funded, educated, and most importantly, productive at Concordia, then by all means go there.  You will earn far more there, than at a more prestigious school where by the time you graduate, you might have nothing to show.

Second, be cautious when people compare schools in America, and bringing this mindset to Canada.  In America schools are tiered, and there is considerable good reason for doing so.  However in Canada, what seperates one school from another is significantly less.  The top school in America to the bottom school is an absolute world of difference.  In Canada, the top to best is noticable, but it is not nearly as crucial.  This is even more true for Canadian medical schools, law schools and certain graduate programs.

In regards to the value of Concordia (or Canadian universities in general). a few things to keep in mind.

If by the time you graduate you have not much to show except what school you went to, then yes the school you went to matters.  However, this importance quickly fades when publications, conferences, connections, and other factors come to play.

If you will be well funded, educated, and most importantly, productive at Concordia, then by all means go there.  You will earn far more there, than at a more prestigious school where by the time you graduate, you might have nothing to show.

Second, be cautious when people compare schools in America, and bringing this mindset to Canada.  In America schools are tiered, and there is considerable good reason for doing so.  However in Canada, what seperates one school from another is significantly less.  The top school in America to the bottom school is an absolute world of difference.  In Canada, the top to best is noticable, but it is not nearly as crucial.  This is even more true for Canadian medical schools, law schools and certain graduate programs.

Thanks for your insight, NicholasCage. I will certainly keep this in mind. The prof in question at Concordia is what really attracts me to the program, and I think I will be the most productive there in terms of scholarship in my particular niche. Thanks for the helpful response!

This is important to keep in mind.  Gradcafe is dominated by applicants to American universities, so many comments are skewed to that context.  There are loads of differences between American and Canadian universities.  One is that there isn't nearly as much variation in the quality of Canadian universities.  There is some, but not to a career-defining extent.  And it's more on a program/department basis than the university as a whole.  The university that excels in geology is not likely to be one that excels in art history and vice versa.  So, I'd say fit is an especially important decision.  The people in your field will know how the various programs differ.  The profs probably all know each other anyway!

I've attended three Canadian universities in my time and each had its strengths and weaknesses.  The right choice for you really has more to do with you and what you are looking for.

I've been checking my Mcmaster application and there has been no changes on the status? Is this normal?

From what I hear McMaster is notoriously slow on updating their page.

Hi all,

I just got an accaptance with a funding package from UAlberta in the Soc Phd program. At this point im not sure what a "competitive" funding offer might look like? My package consists of a total of 98k over 4 years (TA/RAships) plus 5k entrance (1st year only). Can anyone offer insight on this? I understand that most Phd progrmas will offer the TA/RAship which leaves just the 5k in additional awards in my case. Im super greatful for this but I would like to know how this weighs out comparatively.

Ill check later on my status but I received my offer from McMaster Feb.14 by email an at the time there was no status change.

Thanks! Please let us know.

I applied to the Globalization program and so far I haven't heard anything.

heard back from calgary - got in. u of t also sent me a form letter stating that they won't have an answer for me until mid april.

congrats! and holy late, u of t.

for those of you who got into SFU - have you heard from your departments? i got an email/letter from graduate studies, but i'm not sure if my dep't will contact me as well.

Thanks! Please let us know.

I applied to the Globalization program and so far I haven't heard anything.

I looked and I cannot find any status changes or notes saying I have been accepted. For me they simply sent me an acceptance E-mail and a button to click to accept the offer.

hi all,

Anyone applied to McGill (Biology Dept)? was just wondering when would they send out notifications, my minerva status is still on "ready for review". I sent my applications (all docs and letters) on first week of january, for the fall sem. I guess you will never hear from them until next month-ish? Don't they really change the status on your profile online?

all the best to us who are waiting (patiently or impatiently)!

cheers...

I looked and I cannot find any status changes or notes saying I have been accepted. For me they simply sent me an acceptance E-mail and a button to click to accept the offer.

Thanks for checking!

It's frustrating that I don't even know what is happening.