Canadian school applicants

bedmas

This is my status at York University:

Ph.D., Gender, Feminist and Women's Studies
Fall 2013  

No Decision Yet    

I called the admissions department and they told me that I'd hear from them "between mid- to end-April" (the department does not have an e-mail address, and they don't have my phone number on file, so I wonder how they're going to communicate anything to me except via myFile"). I'm getting really anxious!

All the best, y'all! :)

Edited by calmflare

This is my status at York University:

Ph.D., Gender, Feminist and Women's Studies

Fall 2013  

No Decision Yet    

I called the admissions department and they told me that I'd hear from them "between mid- to end-April" (the department does not have an e-mail address, and they don't have my phone number on file, so I wonder how they're going to communicate anything to me except via myFile"). I'm getting really anxious!

All the best, y'all! :)

There must be a program coordinator, and he/she must have an e-mail address :)

I have been admitted to PhD in Environmental Studies at York :) the program coordinator e-mailed few minutes ago. I am so happy! my beers are ready. the funding offer will come in the next coming week. I have also been nominated for an entrance scholarship...

Congratulations!!!

Just received my first reply and it is an acceptance from UVic! It feels fantastic to be able to say that I have a school interested in me.

No offer of funding though. My interpretation is that I am lower down their list than other applicants and they are waiting to see who accepts and rejects their offers before then reallocating the funding. Does that sound about right? More positive spins would obviously be appreciated..

"I write to offer you admission into the MA program in the Department of English at the University
of Victoria. Congratulations! As with all preliminary offers, this acceptance into our MA program is 
conditional upon approval of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
We are delighted that you applied to our program and look forward to working with you in the Fall.

Although we are not able to offer any funding at this date, there may be opportunities for fellowships and other financial
support later in the admissions process.

We ask that you respond to our offer by 22 March, 2013. 
Once you accept our offer and our Graduate Admissions office verifies your transcripts, 
it will send out an official invitation."
Edited by Interzone

i got my offer from SFU on monday and they gave me 3 weeks to accept/decline (i will be accepting), but i still haven't heard anything from the actual department... 

I've applied to the following programs:

Carleton- NPSIA
Carleton- MA Poli Sci
McMaster- MA IR
York- MA Poli Sci

McMaster- MA Work and Society (Accepted with funding)

I have experience interning alongside diplomats, NGO management, as well as being involved in several organizations/campaigns leading to experiences running workshops/seminars/lectures on IR related topics at universities and conferences in the States and Canada. However, my grades are awful (B for 3rd year due to a 50% in a course and an B+/A- for the last term). What do you think are my chances?? I have been discouraged by many from applying, but figured I would give it a go anyway. Doubtful I will hear back from any of the IR/Poli Sci programs due to the grades.. ugh (Work and Society was a last minute back-up). Good luck to everyone!!

Carleton- NPSIA

Carleton- MA Poli Sci

McMaster- MA IR

York- MA Poli Sci

I have experience interning alongside diplomats, NGO management, as well as being involved in several organizations/campaigns leading to experiences running workshops/seminars/lectures on IR related topics at universities and conferences in the States and Canada. However, my grades are awful (B for 3rd year due to a 50% in a course and an B+/A- for the last term). What do you think are my chances?? I have been discouraged by many from applying, but figured I would give it a go anyway. Doubtful I will hear back from any of the IR/Poli Sci programs due to the grades.. ugh (Work and Society was a last minute back-up). Good luck to everyone!!

A lot of applicants (like myself) have high grades but no experience. Maybe they will balance out :) I also applied to Carleton's MA in Poli Sci and the department said I should be hearing from them soon. What does your status say?

All of my applications have been processed. Now it's just a matter of deciding between University A: less money, but a better fit in terms of thesis supervisor and University B: fully funded, but not really familiar with the work of my potential advisor. I'm leaning toward A. 

I'm waiting for funding info to arrive in the mail from York (they said it could take two weeks). Does anyone have any insider info on what anthro PhD funding might look like? They said a "generous financial package" in the acceptance letter but that could mean anything o.O (probs I will just have to wait and see)

All of my applications have been processed. Now it's just a matter of deciding between University A: less money, but a better fit in terms of thesis supervisor and University B: fully funded, but not really familiar with the work of my potential advisor. I'm leaning toward A. 

fully funded. it's only a masters. there's no point in paying if you don't have to. aligning your research interests is overrated for such a short period of time.

Hi, this thread might be interesting to you:  

Carleton- NPSIA
Carleton- MA Poli Sci
McMaster- MA IR
York- MA Poli Sci

Accepted by Queen's via e-mail today.

Hey! Congrats~

What program? I am waiting to hear back from Queen's about the sociology MA program. 

The wait is killing me! 

A lot of applicants (like myself) have high grades but no experience. Maybe they will balance out :) I also applied to Carleton's MA in Poli Sci and the department said I should be hearing from them soon. What does your status say?

For NPSIA it says "Review in progress by department" (see this as a negative sign as others have stated that their's has changed to "Recommended for assessment"), and for Poli Sci its says it still needs preliminary review (makes no sense since I submitted well before the Jan 31st deadline). This wait is killing me... reject me already.