Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Acceptance via e-mail from SFU today.

congrats!! When was your application deadline? I'm waiting to hear from SFU, but my application has only been in for 5 days. Is the decision online? I hate that it just said "No offer has been made."

Sorry, I'm kind of SFU crazy.

congrats!! When was your application deadline? I'm waiting to hear from SFU, but my application has only been in for 5 days. Is the decision online? I hate that it just said "No offer has been made."

Sorry, I'm kind of SFU crazy.

I was e-mailed the offer (included two-semesters TAship). Haven't even checked the website.

I have been on the lawstudents.ca forum a lot but I just discovered this one! 

I'm applying to joint JD-MA programs so it's nice to find a place to read about the MA acceptances as well.

Good luck to all!

Just saw this. Very cool. I'm doing my LL.B. right now through the University of London's international programs. So in September I will also be a grad/law student. With the job market being what it is, arming yourself with both an M.A. and a law degree is really an advantage, I suspect. It also opens up a lot more opportunities for doctoral programs.

People are getting offers? My programme at UBC had a deadline of Jan 15, so I guess I'll be waiting for a while more.

My UBC program also had a deadline of January 15th -- from what I understand, UBC has a history of being a bit disorganized (though, this comes from a friend of a friend, so who knows how it actually is?), so we could be settling in for a bit of a wait...

I am an international student and I applied to UofT(status: application received), SFU (application received) & McGill (ready for review). No word yet from any of them.

I heard that for Canada, your admission is at the discretion of any individual prof; basically, if someone wants to take you, you're in.  While most big American schools have an admission board that judges candidates objectively.

Before applying, I wrote to some profs in these schools to establish some relationship so that my app wouldn't just be like one other app in the pile. Got a response from some of them.

Fingers are still crossed though I am so tensed and can't help checking my mail many times a day  <_<

I heard that for Canada, your admission is at the discretion of any individual prof; basically, if someone wants to take you, you're in. 

I had a face-to-face meeting with a PoI (in Canada) and that is not at all the impression I got.  We didn't discuss that directly but based on other remarks it sounded like sometimes good applicants are admitted without an obvious fit with a supervisor.  They get assigned a supervisor anyway and between them they work it out.  My guess is it depends a lot on the program and the pool of applicants that year and how it all comes out in the wash.  Of course, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a prof who really wants you!

I am an international student and I applied to UofT(status: application received), SFU (application received) & McGill (ready for review). No word yet from any of them.

I heard that for Canada, your admission is at the discretion of any individual prof; basically, if someone wants to take you, you're in.  While most big American schools have an admission board that judges candidates objectively.

Before applying, I wrote to some profs in these schools to establish some relationship so that my app wouldn't just be like one other app in the pile. Got a response from some of them.

Fingers are still crossed though I am so tensed and can't help checking my mail many times a day  <_<

My dear friend,

I just want to let you know that this is not precise. Sometimes, many professors may want many students but as you know there are limited spots. In this case, they have to make objective selection amond the interested candidates.

On the other hand, they may have a limited number for international students. If you are an international student your files are reviewed differently in most of Canadian Universities.

If a POI wants to take you, it is really good and it increases your chances but this does not mean that you will be accepted. However, in most cases, this could be that you will be admitted :)

"our admission is at the discretion of any individual prof; basically, if someone wants to take you, you're in"

That is not true at all. There is an entire admissions process with strict minimum requirements. Finding a supervisor is only a hurdle. 

***disclaimer: this is all my opinion only***  What you also need to consider is the actual program you are applying to.  In very general terms, if it is a Masters program that is not thesis based, your application is reviewed by an 'admissions committee' for suitablity to the program. You *must* meet the minimum requirements to have your application assessed.  However, if you are applying to a thesis based program where research is a large component and you are required to express interest in working with certain faculty, that professor may likely be the person reviewing your application. Since that is the person you will be working with directly the professor can make the final decision on whether you are an appropriate fit for his/her lab.  This is true of American universities as well.  It is really the difference between thesis/non-thesis and masters vs phd level applications.

Also, this quote is from: http://mygraduateschool.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/getting-into-grad-school-without-top-grades-one-students-amazing-story/

".... that for some graduate programs, an applicant will only have a shot if they meet the minimum requirement. This will be the case for any program that has a committee, or some other process, that performs an initial vetting of applications and eliminates some of them based on failure to reach minimum criteria. This is how the admissions process works in most programs in which grad students do not have a faculty member responsible for supervising their thesis work. So, that generally means non-thesis master’s programs.

Students in almost any doctoral program will have supervisor, however. Importantly, that faculty member is the person who ultimately decides who he or she will take on as a graduate student. The role and influence of the admissions committee varies a lot from one program to the next, but in the majority of programs in the social sciences or natural sciences, there is no initial vetting of applications by the admissions committee. The committee normally does not make selections — those are made by individual faculty members. The committee’s major roles are to administer certain aspects of the admissions process, and to give a final official approval to faculty members’ decisions about whom to accept. Faculty members choose their own graduate students, and although almost any decent graduate programs will state that they have a minimum GPA requirement, this is not always a rule, per se."

Edited by MSW13

I've applied to 1 university - University of Ottawa for Clinical Psychology. Deadline Dec 15. Also I am an undergraduate. 

I have not heard anything yet - -- 

Edited by FCP

It's amazing how deadlines vary within schools, but program to program! My UVic application isn't due until Feb 15, but the application status has already changed from "Submitted" to "App forwarded for review" to "App forwarded: Interim Review". It's driving me nuts! 

I finally got my "Interim," hah!

On another note, my SSHRC application has been nominated by my university. While that doesn't necessarily mean I've got the award, I took that as a good sign that my proposal is at least good. Since my SSHRC app became my grad school apps I'm feeling a bit better about my chances of actually getting into a program.

But only a bit.

I've applied to 1 university - University of Ottawa for Clinical Psychology. Deadline Dec 15. Also I am an undergraduate. 

I have not heard anything yet - -- 

I also applied to the Clinical Program at U Ottawa, from the results search it looks like they take a while to make decisions. 

The waiting game sucks- hopefully everything goes well for you :)

A word of advice for all who may be interested, I just visited my top choice school and and got accepted. I discovered, to my dismay, that it was nothing like I expected and certain faculty members were "not easy to work with" to say the least. If I had simply gotten an acceptance letter or e-mail I likely would have accepted without giving it too much thought, now I'm fairly certain I will not be attending. If at all possible check out the schools! You never know what you might find. 

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

I am really tensed too much , I am so worried that even I can't sleep properly and do my job properly.

I have completed my Bachelor in CS and applied for MS in: SFU,Ottawa,Queens,Western Ontario,MUN.

I have send all the documents before the deadline. Some of the deadline are finished and some will finish very soon.

Still have not heard from any of them.

What to do ???? :wacko:  :wacko::(  :(

Applied: SFU, Queens, Ottawa, Western Ontario, MUN
Accepted: 0/5
Rejected: 0/5

I also applied to the Clinical Program at U Ottawa, from the results search it looks like they take a while to make decisions. 

The waiting game sucks- hopefully everything goes well for you :)

A word of advice for all who may be interested, I just visited my top choice school and and got accepted. I discovered, to my dismay, that it was nothing like I expected and certain faculty members were "not easy to work with" to say the least. If I had simply gotten an acceptance letter or e-mail I likely would have accepted without giving it too much thought, now I'm fairly certain I will not be attending. If at all possible check out the schools! You never know what you might find. 

The waiting game does suck!!! Did you apply to the clinical psychology program? 

Also, did you get invited to attend? How does one go about checking out schools? I have been thinking of going down to Ottawa, but I was waiting for a possible interview. 

Also, any suggestions on interview in person or interview over the phone?

The waiting game does suck!!! Did you apply to the clinical psychology program? 

Also, did you get invited to attend? How does one go about checking out schools? I have been thinking of going down to Ottawa, but I was waiting for a possible interview. 

Also, any suggestions on interview in person or interview over the phone?

I attended a recruitment weekend at this University, which I think happens when one is pretty much accepted and they just want to make sure you're not a homicidal maniac or something. I applied for two programs- Clinical and Social/Personality at this particular university. The faculty member that invited me to attend was from the SP program. Long story short, I went in thinking that I would enjoy either program, but discovered that SP isn't really what I wanted to do (plus the Psychology department at this university was NOT what I was expecting and there were some unpleasant surprises about certain faculty members I was keen to work with). 

In terms of the other universities I applied to (Ottawa, Waterloo, McGill), if I am accepted I will absolutely make sure to arrange a visit to the school before I accept their offer. Since it's a long trip for me to go visit those other schools I would wait until I heard something positive from them before arranging to go. If you're closer however, it couldn't hurt to go down and check out the campus and shoot your POI an e-mail just asking them if they'd have a few minutes to talk to you about the university and the program. 

As for interview tips and tricks the only suggestion I have is to make sure you've read recent articles written by your POI and that you can comment on them and how their research can relate to your interests. But I'm sure you're heard that many times before haha. 

If you don't mind, could you PM me about who you'd like as an advisor at U Ottawa?

Best of luck with everything!

I applied to three PhD programs in Canada - I think that MUN is the worst process for individuals applying to the PhD in Interdisciplinary Studies. I have emailed multiple professors there as POI and only one responded. It is the prospective student's responsibility to have 3 faculty sign on as supervisors before they will accept you. I didn't apply to the PhD in Education even though I will have a M.Ed. because I do not have professional teaching experience. I did, however, apply to interdisciplinary studies because I have legal experience and my proposed topic encompasses law, education and women's studies. Nevertheless, I feel hopeless that my MUN app will be complete. Oh well.

I also applied to Carleton University for the PhD in Legal Studies. Thus far, my app status is "Recommended for Assessment". Here's to hoping - Carleton is my top choice. 

My other application was to the PhD Program in Education at Lakehead University. I'm wait-listed there because I haven't yet graduated from my M.Ed. - I think that process of acceptance isn't fair - In my opinion, just because you are done your masters degree doesn't necessarily make you a better applicant. 

Just my two cents. 

C'mon Carleton! 

Edited by AnonymousAcademic

Has anyone applied to the University of Toronto Ph.D in Public Health (Social and Behavioural Sciences)? My application status changed to "decision made" as week ago, but I have no idea what that decision is. It says I will be receiving a letter, but haven't yet. Do you know how long after the status changes, you typically receive a letter? The suspense is killing me.