Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Thank you so much everyone. This forum is great - I guess I panicked just a couple of hours too early - last night when I got home I got an Offer of Admission letter from U of T (Masters of Health Services Research). I was soo convinced that I didn't get in because I didn't get an email before the SGS status changed to Decision Made.

I'm more relieved then happy at this point! So much anxiety! Best of luck to everyone still waiting!!

Congratulations!!!!

Just stumbled across this great thread. Wish I saw this earlier when I was waiting on multiple responses so I could share in your anxiety riddled days. Congratulations to all that have been accepted into programs. It must be a relief! I recently got an acceptance from Ryerson Urban Planning and on the same day got rejected from U of T Urban Planning. I was thrilled to have gotten in to the Ryerson program though - I've been hearing positive things about the program. What brought me to this thread are those that have gotten into the U of T MPP program, which is the last one I'm waiting on (and if somehow I get accepted, it will be an interesting decision to make). Congratulations to all who have! I'm wondering if there are folks still twiddling their thumbs waiting for a response for this program. I get the feeling, somehow, that a sizeable chunk of acceptances have been sent out to the MPP folks and there isn't much space left. Anxiety, hope, and denial is slowly transitioning to acceptance that this may be a lost-ish cause.

So U Manitoba (Pol Studies) rejected me about 2 weeks ago but  last night I received an email telling me to check my status on the grad app website. I found out I got accepted to grad school but under the pre-masters program. I didn't know that can happen!

i guess that means they want you to do a qualifying year

Yeah I guess. I just didn't expect that after a rejection saying that my application was not recommended, I got another letter. I thought one would have to apply for pre-masters to be considered.

Has anyone heard anything from York MA Development Studies? The deadline was pushed to Feb 27, and I heard they were supposed to being sending out offers this week. I haven't heard anything at all from them since I applied, so I'm starting to get a little nervous!

Has anyone heard anything from York MA Development Studies? The deadline was pushed to Feb 27, and I heard they were supposed to being sending out offers this week. I haven't heard anything at all from them since I applied, so I'm starting to get a little nervous!

I emailed them on Thursday - "The committee are in the process of making their decision, offers will start to go out sometime next week."

Good luck :)

I emailed them on Thursday - "The committee are in the process of making their decision, offers will start to go out sometime next week."

Good luck :)

Thanks! Good luck to you as well!

Eagerly waiting to hear back from McGill's PhD in Epidemiology program! Has anyone else applied to this program?

(Best of luck to everyone in your academic pursuits!)

Me too!! According to the result boards rejections had been going out last week. Hopefully the no rejected/no accepted is a good sign 

Does anyone know whether Canadian schools will offer you more funding if you let them know about a better offer from another school?  I've seen some of the Americans talk about leveraging, but I don't know if it's done here.  Anyone have any insight on this?  Would be much appreciated! 

And to all of those who are waiting, hang in there! 

I applied to university of western ontario's popular music and culture graduate program. Has anyone heard back for this one? Emailed last week regarding an expected time frame for hearing back and got the response 'the committee should be making their decisions this week.' Nothing yet, though.

Does anyone know whether Canadian schools will offer you more funding if you let them know about a better offer from another school?  I've seen some of the Americans talk about leveraging, but I don't know if it's done here.  Anyone have any insight on this?  Would be much appreciated! 

And to all of those who are waiting, hang in there! 

It depends on a number of factors-the most important being, how badly do they want you. Some universities have discretionary funding for recruiting top students. That is one possible source of income. The other is that your POI could top you up with a bursary. It does happen but it is specific to your circumstances and where you rank among candidates. It is worth a shot. You should say something like "You are my top choice but I am considering going elsewhere because of their financial incentives. I really want to join your department/lab/etc is there anything that you can do"

etc

Agree with above. Some schools that have set unionized funding that is advertised on their website do not change their funding, it's set across the board. The only wiggle room in that case is if a supervisor has extra research dollars and takes you on as an RA. It never hurts to ask though :) You don't even have to tell them they are your top choice, something as simple as "While I am very interested in undertaking my research at __University__, I have received a funding offer of $X from Xschool. Are you able to match or compete with that offer?" or something along those lines. The grad committee knows that finances are a consideration for pretty much anyone applying to the program so it is not uncommon for them to receive a request for an increased funding package. Heck, sometimes even just asking for an extension on the timeline you need to respond by or otherwise delaying your acceptance to a program can gain you more money.

Edit: You can also ask them if there are entrance scholarships available that they would be able to nominate you for and other things like that.

Edited by Nerd_For_Life

I have a question regarding an American applying to Canadian schools. I applied to 3 Canadian Universities (UVic, Saskatchewan, and McGill). All of them tell me there is a funding issue since I am not Canadian and therefore cannot apply for Canadian funding. However, one POI recently asked me if I was willing to become a Canadian permanent resident. 

Is something like this possible? Would it allow me to apply for Canadian funding? I applied to these universities keeping in mind that if I were to go to any, I would most likely just stay if I could so this is something I am more than willing to do.

Officially declined the waterloo offer today. Just waiting on the official offer from SFU so I accept it and have everything be settled now. As happy as I am with the decision, declining still feels hard. All that time and stress went into applying and waiting only to have to say no to one of the offers i really wanted :(.

has anyone heard from u of t's master of health informatics program/

any idea how, and under what timeline, they issue interview requests/

i suppose i'll get a decision early enough to still apply for other health informatics programs.

Edited by brokenshift

I applied to Carleton university for PHD in computer science(Fall'13) as an international applicant. March 1 was the deadline.I have successfully uploaded all the documents to the carleton central before the deadline. But till date the application status is showing the default message "preliminary review required". I am worried about this..    

Officially declined the waterloo offer today. Just waiting on the official offer from SFU so I accept it and have everything be settled now. As happy as I am with the decision, declining still feels hard. All that time and stress went into applying and waiting only to have to say no to one of the offers i really wanted :(.

aww! I knew sfu was the better choice for you. but still would have been nice to have seen you at waterloo. I accepted my offer at waterloo. what was your funding? 

aww! I knew sfu was the better choice for you. but still would have been nice to have seen you at waterloo. I accepted my offer at waterloo. what was your funding? 

Yeah, it would have nice to be going to waterloo too. Professor O'Gorman and Harris both seemed very nice and understanding when I let them know my decision. I mean I guess having two wonderful programs accept you is a wonderful problem to have, but still disappointing when I can only pursue one exciting opportunity. Hopefully my declining made someone's day by getting them off the waitlist. My offer was 15 k in the form of TAships, RAships and scholarships over 3 semesters. And I apparently got into both the co-op option and non, i didn't inquire as to whether the funding would be the same for both. I might try to keep in touch with you through gradcafe if that's alright because I am still interested to hear about the program and all the cool stuff you'll get up to in it.

Yeah, it would have nice to be going to waterloo too. Professor O'Gorman and Harris both seemed very nice and understanding when I let them know my decision. I mean I guess having two wonderful programs accept you is a wonderful problem to have, but still disappointing when I can only pursue one exciting opportunity. Hopefully my declining made someone's day by getting them off the waitlist. My offer was 15 k in the form of TAships, RAships and scholarships over 3 semesters. And I apparently got into both the co-op option and non, i didn't inquire as to whether the funding would be the same for both. I might try to keep in touch with you through gradcafe if that's alright because I am still interested to hear about the program and all the cool stuff you'll get up to in it.

Yeah, definitely someone is probably dying of happiness. Yeah, I just talked to Professor Gorman two days ago. Yeah of course. Let me know how SFU is! Yeah, I got the same deal. I think we were first batch of acceptances to come out. 

Also! I forgot to mention, I think you made the right choice. So don't worry about it so much, I know you really wanted to go to waterloo but SFU was better for you. (IMO)