Canadian school applicants

bedmas

jesus! just got accepted into u of t MPP - DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. Ecstatic. Accepted it already :). Looking forward to meeting the rest of the folks who've got in and will keep fingers crossed for others who are still waiting. Don't lose hope!

jesus! just got accepted into u of t MPP - DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. Ecstatic. Accepted it already :). Looking forward to meeting the rest of the folks who've got in and will keep fingers crossed for others who are still waiting. Don't lose hope!

Congratulations!! Looking forward to meeting you in September. :)

I was wondering if anyone who has applied to OISE's School and Clinical Child Psychology Program has received any results by mail or otherwise yet?  I have not noticed much posted in the Results section or anywhere else regarding acceptances or rejections.

Does anyone know the mysteries of the MPT program at UBC?  I am on wait list, but no rank given...  :wacko:

Do you know how may on average are taken each year off the wait list? 

I would be truly grateful for any insight.  

Thanks  :)

Has anyone had any news from Ryerson's MPPA program?

I recently learned I missed out on a promotion at work so that is extra motivation to get into grad school; if it's not this year it'll be next year.

Forum results show some admissions already but Ryerson can still go all the way until summer *sigh*. Wish that was one less thing on my plate to worry about lol.

I got in last week, but I'll be declining. The deadline to respond is April 26 so I'm sure after that round two offers will come out. Good luck!

Thanks wstrngrl for the information! May I ask what program you chose instead or which university you went for?

I'm going to Ryerson, but for Professional Communication instead :)

Was accepted to U of T's crim MA program yesterday! I didn't receive any funding though...

Would it be good idea to e-mail them back and mention that while I would like to consider their program, I have competitive offers from other schools and that might get them to agree to something?

Not sure how to go about this. 

I do not think that will change much. You were waitlisted, and I am sure UofT has a large waitlist with other candidates just as suited and willing to accept without funding. Not to minimize the accomplishment in you admission offer, but I don't think UofT will suddenly offer you funding just to get you as a student; if this was the case, they would have done it first instance. Just being honest. I would pick the program that suits your future aspirations, and one that will have a compatible thesis advisor for your research interests. Funding should have little weight in your decision; there is so much more to consider.

I am in a similar predicament. I received very minimal funding from McGill, my first choice, but was offered full funding and a stipend from York, my alma mater. McGill is a better fit overall for my reserach interests, a more specialized program nad has prestige attached to it. York is more general and already did my undergrad there. I emailed McGill with details of York's offer and they were unable to offer anything more. It was worth a shot though. University of Toronto seems less likely to do it, but it can't hurt to try.

My wait is over!  I've been accepted!

And it was fast.  I only got the "we have all your documents now, stay tuned" email in the last week of March, and the acceptance letter was dated April 10!  I was actually on vacation and had no idea - I figured it would take longer, especially since last year the program didn't even close applications until late May.

I guess this means my SoP was OK.  Whew!

Also, YAY!!!!!!

Still waiting to hear back from UBC Okanagan. No one that I know of has heard from them, not even for interviews, and the school of graudate studies is saying that the department is still reviewing files. I submitted everything in December, and I'm sick of waiting.

I am in a similar predicament. I received very minimal funding from McGill, my first choice, but was offered full funding and a stipend from York, my alma mater. McGill is a better fit overall for my reserach interests, a more specialized program nad has prestige attached to it. York is more general and already did my undergrad there. I emailed McGill with details of York's offer and they were unable to offer anything more. It was worth a shot though. University of Toronto seems less likely to do it, but it can't hurt to try.

Is this for an MA and PhD? 

I'd follow the money if I were you. McGill's rep is on a steady decline. Depending on your goals, the name may mean little. Either way, I wouldn't take on debt.

Was accepted to U of T's crim MA program yesterday! I didn't receive any funding though...

Would it be good idea to e-mail them back and mention that while I would like to consider their program, I have competitive offers from other schools and that might get them to agree to something?

It doesn't hurt to try. They certainly won't rescind the offer.

what program did you apply to? I also applied there .. still havent heard back :(

I applied to their clincial psychology program. If they're still reviewing files, I don't know what kind of class they expect to have. All the other schools will have their incoming classes finalized by now,

Congratulations! I was also accepted to their MA in Criminology without funding. Now I'm scrambling to apply for scholarships to help pay for tuition :/ but I only applied to U of T so I dont have any other options. I don't think discussing it would do any harm.

Edited by PJJ

Is this for an MA and PhD? 

I'd follow the money if I were you. McGill's rep is on a steady decline. Depending on your goals, the name may mean little. Either way, I wouldn't take on debt.

Its for an MA. Both my profs from York, who wrote my letters of recommendation, said go to McGill. Money comes and goes. And there are plenty of opportunities in my field to recoup the debt once I finish the program. As for my future goals, I really believe a specialized MA from McGill will do me better than a general MEd from York. I also don't know where you heard their reputation was declining? Still #18 in the world as of 2012.

Edited by scholarlypartier

Still waiting to hear back from UBC Okanagan. No one that I know of has heard from them, not even for interviews, and the school of graudate studies is saying that the department is still reviewing files. I submitted everything in December, and I'm sick of waiting.

what program did you apply to? I also applied there .. still havent heard back :(

I have applied for UBC-OK Phd in Mechanical Engineering. Still haven't heard from them!

I think what the poster meant is if you look at the rankings over the past few years, McGill's position has been slipping. However it's still a great school and that should not stop you if you decide that McGill is the best option for you to pursue.

Its for an MA. Both my profs from York, who wrote my letters of recommendation, said go to McGill. Money comes and goes. And there are plenty of opportunities in my field to recoup the debt once I finish the program. As for my future goals, I really believe a specialized MA from McGill will do me better than a general MEd from York. I also don't know where you heard their reputation was declining? Still #18 in the world as of 2012.

In the recent Times higher world education ranking, mcgill slipped to 31 from 25 (it was front page news here in montreal). It is also chronically underfunded, especially with this year's massive higher education cuts in quebec, mcgill is cutting courses, and opportunities for graduate funding. considering you will only be there for 2 years, this may or may not affect you. With all due respect, your professor's reflex may be to suggest mcgill, but they chose to pursue academia professionally, where such vanity matters a whole lot more. also, they are not going to be the ones saddled with tens of thousands in debt to attend a school that may or may not enhance your life time earnings potential. you came here looking for advice, i gave it but it sounds like you've already made your decision.

Edited by selecttext

In the recent Times higher world education ranking, mcgill slipped to 31 from 25 (it was front page news here in montreal). It is also chronically underfunded, especially with this year's massive higher education cuts in quebec, mcgill is cutting courses, and opportunities for graduate funding. considering you will only be there for 2 years, this may or may not affect you. With all due respect, your professor's reflex may be to suggest mcgill, but they chose to pursue academia professionally, where such vanity matters a whole lot more. also, they are not going to be the ones saddled with tens of thousands in debt to attend a school that may or may not enhance your life time earnings potential. you came here looking for advice, i gave it but it sounds like you've already made your decision.

I do not like such ranking lists. I think the rankings should be done on the basis of departments (e.g. political science, philosophy, medicine)...

I do not like such ranking lists. I think the rankings should be done on the basis of departments (e.g. political science, philosophy, medicine)...

I don't disagree but it is indicative of a trend at mcgill, that is probably intimately tied to the university funding situation in Quebec. My opinion is that the brand is not worth tens of thousands of dollars in comparison to a fully funded offer from a decent canadian university.