Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Hey guys, I've applied to a couple of programs at Mcgill Uni. deadline was at the end of March for one of them and the end of April for the other ( both for fall semester 2013). My status is "ready for review" and it's been like that for over a month now. any idea about the amount of waiting that i should be expecting?

Hey guys, I've applied to a couple of programs at Mcgill Uni. deadline was at the end of March for one of them and the end of April for the other ( both for fall semester 2013). My status is "ready for review" and it's been like that for over a month now. any idea about the amount of waiting that i should be expecting?

contact the department asap

I have applied to UoT for MASc in Materials Science and Engineering. I am an international applicant from India. I know that I meet the eligibility criteria for the program, however, I am apprehensive about what my chances would be of making it through. 

My profile in brief:

Applied for: Materials Science and engineering

UG: B.E.(Hons.) Chemical Engineering with thesis

University: BITS-Pilani

TOEFL: 114/120

GPA: 8.29/10 (cumulative) and major GPA: 9/10( last sem thesis)

2 semester projects in Materials Science

Thesis on 1-dimensional nanostructures

Summer Internship at TATA Steel, Jamshedpur, India

Relevant Courses studied : Structure and Properties of Matter, Introduction to Nanotechnology, Thermodynamics, Solid-State Physics, Kinetics, Quantum Mechanics.

Research focus: Nanomaterials for Energy applications

1 poster presentation in International Conference

1 oral presentation in International Conference

1 poster presentation in a national colloquium

More of my research can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/mynanodomain

I know its tough to predict the exact decision. But I want to know, what does my profile look like, good enough to make it through? Is it wise to consider it a safe option?

Edited by Pepper Potts

Hello,

Got an email last week from Ryerson to tell me they had considered my app and will make a decision soon. Has anyone who has applied to Ryerson got similar email? Is it being wait listed ? Wish I could have a decision soon just so I can move on and put on action plan B of need be.

i withdrew my application from manitoba back in late february/early march and never really got a reply back... and today i got a rejection from them. weeeeird.

i withdrew my application from manitoba back in late february/early march and never really got a reply back... and today i got a rejection from them. weeeeird.

Theyre just sour that you withdrew!

• 1 month later...

Congratulations!!!

Got a surprise acceptance from Carleton's psychology MA program after being previously waitlisted and rejected! So stoked!

Got a surprise acceptance from Carleton's psychology MA program after being previously waitlisted and rejected! So stoked!

Ha, I've seen everything now. So, they threw your application out and realized their mistake and took you in ? Jeez, I'd love that to happen for me :)

• 1 month later...

Nice way to start the weekend : UBC's FGS just emailed me that I was accepted in the MASc program in ECE (to start in January). Chuffed to bits :D

The wait was absolutely mind-killing though. Still pretty painful but at least it showed that the time I spent on my SOP and selecting the right people for my LORs wasn't in vain.

• 3 months later...

It's amazing how deadlines vary within schools, but program to program! My UVic application isn't due until Feb 15, but the application status has already changed from "Submitted" to "App forwarded for review" to "App forwarded: Interim Review". It's driving me nuts! 

Hey!

My Uvic app just changed to App forwarded: Interim Review.

I'm curious what that actually means, as compared to app forwarded for review?

Has anyone applied to McMasters Mathematics program? I've sent my transcripts like a month ago and they still hasn't been updated yet. I am a little worried. How long does it usually take for transcripts to arrive from a different province ?

Has anyone applied to McMasters Mathematics program? I've sent my transcripts like a month ago and they still hasn't been updated yet. I am a little worried. How long does it usually take for transcripts to arrive from a different province ?

I cannot speak to McMasters, nor their math program, but from my personal experience, it takes a long time for schools to collect/organize the application requirements sent from other places. I also sent my transcripts just over a month ago, and out of the four schools I applied to, only 1 has stated they have received it.

I would just double check if they require official transcripts by the deadline, or if an uploaded copy will suffice until the original arrives.

• 2 months later...

It's amazing how deadlines vary within schools, but program to program! My UVic application isn't due until Feb 15, but the application status has already changed from "Submitted" to "App forwarded for review" to "App forwarded: Interim Review". It's driving me nuts! 

I got an interim review too. What do you think this is supposed to mean?

I got an interim review too. What do you think this is supposed to mean?

I think it means your application is on its first round of review. Interim reviews probably just check technicalities, like whether or not your GPA and/or GRE scores are above what the minimum set by the department. Good luck! :)