Canadian school applicants

bedmas

New to here but see some really great information. I applied to the UVIC online MPA, anyone have any idea of when I should hear back. My status has been sitting forwarded for review for close to 3 weeks. Anyone here every applied for this program that can offer some insight?

I applied to 3 Canadian programs:

Waterloo - MA Political Science

Wilfrid Laurier - MA International Public Policy

Waterloo - MA Global Governance

Got offers from the latter two yesterday via email/phone!

Is there anybody out there who can tell me what some of the averages are that people have been accepted to Ryerson's Masters in Professional Communication with? I have applied to the program, and I have glowing references and a decent GPA of 3.47 overall. The program only has 25 spots, but they don't tell us how many people apply every year… so is there anyone who has a similar GPA as me that has gotten in in previous years perhaps? I am just driving myself mental playing this waiting game. 

I applied to four schools total (so hopefully someone wants me...), three are MA and MSVU is Master of Public Relations

University of Calgary and Concordia both had deadlines on Jan. 15th, Western's was Feb. 1st and MSVU was Feb. 15th. From what I've heard I can be expecting to hear back from Calgary around Mid-March, but I am not expecting word from anyone else until April

The UBC Counselling Psych admissions committee has made their decisions and has sent them to the FGS for final approval. Hopefully I'll know in the next few weeks! I sure wish they'd tell us now though :)

I applied to York, U of T and Waterloo in Sociology... U of T is not looking good for me, given that they have sent out both wait lists and acceptances. Why wouldn't they send out rejections at the same time?? 

Good luck to everyone! 

Checked my application status for Western today, saw on the results that someone had been rejected from the PhD program and figured I'd take a look at my MA application. Logged on to see a nice green checkmark and a status changed to "Offered Admission". I haven't actually heard from the school, but from the looks of the results page that seems to be par for the course at Western!

New to here but see some really great information. I applied to the UVIC online MPA, anyone have any idea of when I should hear back. My status has been sitting forwarded for review for close to 3 weeks. Anyone here every applied for this program that can offer some insight?

I'd love to know if anyone else has the answer to this question. Mine is sitting "App Forwarded: Interim Review" as well... I guess that just means they're doing their first round of checks to see if folks have submitted everything necessary? Did anyone else who applied to UVic contact a potential faculty advisor? I didn't and now I feel like I missed something important :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to know if anyone else has the answer to this question. Mine is sitting "App Forwarded: Interim Review" as well... I guess that just means they're doing their first round of checks to see if folks have submitted everything necessary? Did anyone else who applied to UVic contact a potential faculty advisor? I didn't and now I feel like I missed something important :(

My app has been "file forwarded to department" I emailed and it was sent to the department feb 23. That means that I have all the prerequisites and my application is complete. I was told it could take a few weeks to hear back anything :(

Anyone else waiting to hear back for MA economics in Canadian Universities? I applied to 5 schools and haven't heard anything. My status has been either "Application Submitted" or "Under Review" for months now. I noticed the results page has a few acceptances and rejections...but I haven't heard anything yet.

Anyone with some insight or in the same boat?

I got my email acceptance from Ryerson yesterday into the Master of Professional Communication program!!! So exciting! Now I am waiting for my admissions package in the mail so hopefully it comes soon!!  :)

Wow. One day after receiving the letter of acceptance from McGill U's Department of Electrical and Computer and Engineering,  I received the final official Offer of Admission from Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. I will now begin working on my immigration papers.  :D

Anyone else waiting to hear back for MA economics in Canadian Universities? I applied to 5 schools and haven't heard anything. My status has been either "Application Submitted" or "Under Review" for months now. I noticed the results page has a few acceptances and rejections...but I haven't heard anything yet.

Anyone with some insight or in the same boat?

I'm also waiting on Queens and McMaster, haven't heard anything from them yet. I was told by a Mac MA student that the department takes a long time to go through applications compared to other schools, even though the MA/MEP program is pretty small considering the size of the school. 

Waterloo's first round offers expire on the 17th, so some spots should open up by next week. 

I've applied to two master programs at McGill in the Educational and Counselling Psychology department. Last year applicants had heard back between Feb 21-28th. I'm getting so nervous!

Hey Im2014,

Which program did you apply for? I applied for MEd in educational psychology but I haven't heard anything from them yet :S

I'm also waiting on Queens and McMaster, haven't heard anything from them yet. I was told by a Mac MA student that the department takes a long time to go through applications compared to other schools, even though the MA/MEP program is pretty small considering the size of the school. 

Waterloo's first round offers expire on the 17th, so some spots should open up by next week. 

Thanks for the info! I just received my first acceptance from York with funding. No information on timeline though. I might have to contact the other schools for an update.

Edited by milkman2500

I got an email on the 13th from UBC regarding my MA Economics application but I don't really know how happy to be. Is this basically an acceptance? I am hoping the 'university's approval' is just a formality! As far as I am aware, receiving a 'recommendation for admission' email is not common in the UK so maybe you North Americans may be more familiar with what this means:

I am please to inform you that you will be recommended for September 2014 admission to the MA programme in Economics at UBC.

Due to your 3 year Bachelor’s degree, we have to make a special recommendation for admission.  Once we have the university’s approval of this recommendation for admission, we will be able to officially offer you the following:

- a $11,356 TAship, and
- a $3,200 international tuition award.

I expect to hear the results of our recommendation for admission next Friday.  We would really like you to come to UBC.

Because you have a three year degree, and UBC (along with pretty much any other grad program in Canada) requires a four year degree. So they have to make an exception for you, which in this case consists of filling out a form on your behalf and having the school administration approve it, which is typically just a case of rubber stamping. It's one more hoop to jump through, but if the department wants you, the school will almost certainly approve it.