Last Semester Undergrads?

Halcyon17

Anyone else going through this while trying to get through their last semester of undergrad? I have an honors thesis lined up and homework starting to pile, and I feel like I'm having a hard time caring about what happens this semester with regards to my grades (senioritis, I know). I'm continuing to work at it though, and give it that final push before graduation. It's also kind of emotional because I know I'll be leaving this school in May, and I had a lot of good times here and made a lot of friends, but it's exciting too. 

Anyone else struggling through this kind of stress from both sides? Let's commiserate here. :) 

These are exactly my feelings. Plus, the majority of my cohort is applying to grad school at the same time, and it seems that none of them have this type of anxiety.

If they do, they are definitely better at hiding it. 

yes, exactly that! luckily (or unluckily, i guess) my program has no research/thesis component, and i'm not taking a full course load, but i want to get out of my program and move into the next stage of my academic career SO BADLY that it's becoming very hard to care about what's going on now. 

i'm quite thoroughly graduated (done since last may), but i wanted to give you guys mad props! my GREs and application process were chaotic and stressful, but all i had on my plate was an internship. i can't imagine how stressful it'd be if i were still a student, so well done all!

Yes, writing my thesis, taking classes, and applying for grad school isn't fun.  On top of all that, my boyfriend of 2 years just broke up with me.  Makes some of the decision-making process easier, but it still stings.  

Same here. Luckily, I have to get back to school only on Feb 12 (had exams during January), so I though I'd work on my bachelor's thesis during this free time. Ha, I wish! All I've been doing for the past 2 weeks was sending in my applications (late deadlines), anxiously checking my e-mail, sending missing materials, checking e-mail again and again and hanging out at this forum, of course :)

Same thing here; full load + honors thesis. Aside from getting my research work done (because my professor has a great need for the tools I'm building), I could.not.care.less. "Oh, there's an exam today? Whatever."

It's also pretty bad because this is one of my most loaded semesters. I'm taking:

- Neurological disorders
- Aural rehabilitation

- Clinical and research writing

- Observation techniques (requires 25 hours of observation outside of class)

- Chemistry

- Chemistry lab 

And I have no motivation to do anything. At all.

Yes I have a test essay to be writing, but instead I am reading articles to prepare for my interview next weekend and sitting on gradcafe... Also I went to an interview this past weekend and was the only person still in undergrad at the interview, so it was a little weird.

I'm actually glad to still be in classes. This will be the only semester of my undergrad career without any gen eds, and I have an overloaded class schedule of major courses. So it's really interesting stuff, and at least it keeps me from staring zombie-like at my email, hitting the F5 key all day long. 

Edited by RubyBright

I love, love, love my one class I've had so far. I didn't want to regret not taking a politics course before I graduated so I signed up for "International Peacekeeping and Ethnic Warfare." It's a lot of reading but it's interesting and it tries to keep my mind off of everything else.

My History class actually doesn't start until Friday. Weird schedule where InterPol starts a week before everyone else so they can...get done the same time. 

But I feel everyone's pain! I am writing my own thesis and my goal is to have 2,000 words by Valentine's Day. I've been stuck at 1,500 for three weeks because I just cannot be bothered to care enough to work on it. I imagine a Skype conversation with my advisor back home after Valentine's Day will be the wake-up call I need. That, and programs are suppose to notify that week...

I have no motivation but I'm doing it anyway. Well, the reading. The writing...eh.

I am in senior design and three other classes. I got two acceptances last week and ever since I am having a hard time caring about homework. All I want is to look more into the schools and my options. Now that I am finally accepted, senioritis is kicking in... And senior design is so much work.

i dont fully know how in works in the states, but here alot of places provisionally accept you depending on your overall results form your undergrad or masters. alot of importance was put on how well I did in my research project- I got a B- a bad grade for me and my supervisor immediately hedged when he heard that-- the only reason it didn't go against me , was that supervisor on that project was a good friend of my new supervisor and he told him I had been unfairly graded and should have got an A- which he actually believed.

anyway I tell you this , to make you realise you still have this last hurdle to get though ( and actually it's only the beginning)) so if your worn out from all the work and application work and stress- take a guiltfree long weekend off ( you deserve it and its important to sharpen the saw!) and then get back into it--- those dreams you have may not become a reality if you don't

Full course load, volunteering at a lab, working part-time (and extra hours at the moment so I can go on holiday over reading week). 

I just realized this weekend that one of my courses is an extremely heavy in workload, 50 pages of readings (equivalent of 3ish journal articles) per class and I haven't been keeping up so far. I'm so nervous I won't even finish this semester, on top of the fact that I am totally not confident in my grad school applications. 

-sigh- It's good to know I'm not alone in the worry though, the worry on top of being in school.

I am in the same boat. I don't know what hurts more: people asking me if I've gotten in anywhere yet or people asking me how my senior honors thesis is going. Please stop reminding me about the two things that are constantly eating at my mind!

I purposely took a lighter load this semester because I knew I wouldn't be motivated to do much of anything. I only need two general ed requirements to finish my degree, I'm taking my other courses as pass/fail. Still going through the motions of honor's thesis, though I could care less about my topic these days.

Also I went to an interview this past weekend and was the only person still in undergrad at the interview, so it was a little weird.

Weird how? I will be going to a few recruitment weekends over the next couple months, and I fully expect to be the youngest person there/the only one who hasn't completed undergrad. I've already heard from one POI that this could potentially work against me (i.e. lack of "real world" experience) :unsure:

I worry about senioritis when I start applying. But I'm only applying to 4 schools, so I have to remind myself that if I don't get in, my next round of grad applications will show my last quarters' work. Stay strong and keep running until the end!

I don't know which part of me said it was smart to do two reading-intensive classes, my thesis and two of the most prestigious MUN conferences when I knew I would be waiting for decisions. 

This has literally been my train of thought this morning:

"I should check my South Carolina app...I need to do a little more research on the debt crisis for LiMUN...and I know absolutely nothing about my topics for ScotMUN which means I probably should start that...and oh yeah, I should check when I have a meeting with my diss supervisor although I don't think he remembers me..." 

Scatterbrained, much?

Don't worry everyone - it should be over soon!