Am I the only one doing this?

Halcyon17

So, lately I've been doing this little number with my head (and emotions). 

Me: *hears word that I'm being considered by University X* 

My thoughts; Hmm...I'm not sure I want to go there, I mean it's cool and all and I'd be really thrilled, but I don't know if I'll like the town...

Me: *goes and researches school and town* 

Me: OMG, I REALLY WANT TO GO THERE NOW!!! 

My mind: "Yeah, I'm gonna treat you to daydreams about going to University X" 

Me: Sweet! 

Later on...

Me: *hears word that I'm being considered by University Y" 

My thoughts: "...Aww...but I wanted to go to University X!" 

And later, repeat the entire process, but this time with University Y. Seriously, this is starting to wreak havoc on my emotions, haha.

I should mention that I haven't gotten anything final yet, these are all just whispers so far. 

I totally feel the same way. I think part of it, for me anyway, is that I'm starting to realize that it's not always about what school was your top choice when you applied. All the schools I've applied to have great opportunities and seem like nice places to live and study, so it makes me feel good to know that I'll likely be happy at any of them. (Though I certainly still plan to do my research to find the best fit!)

A normal process of imagination, triggered, in part, by excited newness. This is why you should give it all some time, visit programs, and weigh you options after the dust has settled slightly.

That's what I'm doing. At the very least, the excitement is making me want to plan visits to check things out, which will help in the overall decision, I think. :) 

Yes... the school that was my top choice just sent me word, but it happened two weeks after the school that used to be my second choice started courting me. Suddenly, first choice/second choice don't seem so clear anymore...

Yup... I keep going back and forth about which schools would be my top choices. Things seemed much clearer when I was applying. It's bizarre. We, as humans, have trouble comprehending the unknown. I think I read an article about how people would (subconsciously) rather be told they have cancer than to be told "It's not cancer, but we don't know what's wrong with you."

Because we can't deal with the unknown, we keep imagining all possible scenarios and what our lives would be like at program X, Y and Z. My thought is that there was a reason we applied to these schools in the first place so they're all good options for us :). We just won't know the BEST option until we hear back from all and we visit... which unfortunately requires more waiting.

Yup... I keep going back and forth about which schools would be my top choices. Things seemed much clearer when I was applying. It's bizarre. We, as humans, have trouble comprehending the unknown. I think I read an article about how people would (subconsciously) rather be told they have cancer than to be told "It's not cancer, but we don't know what's wrong with you."

Because we can't deal with the unknown, we keep imagining all possible scenarios and what our lives would be like at program X, Y and Z. My thought is that there was a reason we applied to these schools in the first place so they're all good options for us :). We just won't know the BEST option until we hear back from all and we visit... which unfortunately requires more waiting.

Evolution has programmed us to only accept the "known." It's a survival mechanism. I think that the unknown is contradictory to our survival instincts, we need to KNOW NOW!!!!! If not, we will die!! 

However, we are rational creatures, that's what makes us different from the rest of the animal kingdom. We understand the concept of waiting, but it DRIVES US NUTS!!!!!!!!!! 

My daydreams keep me going each day, perhaps that is a survival instinct in itself....????

I do this too! Looking into an area actually got me a lot more interested in a school I wasn't sure about. I'm obsessed with using zillow to look up places to live near the schools I'm considering. A better program doesn't look as good when you realize that the only apartment you'd be able to afford in the area is the size of a closet. 

I've been accepted to one of my top choices, and they are really making a great impression on me.  I'm now afraid that if I get accepted anywhere else, I am going to be so in love with this school that I will have a hard time considering others... even ones I had initially ranked "higher" than this school... lol.  Must... remain... objective...

I've been accepted to one of my top choices, and they are really making a great impression on me.  I'm now afraid that if I get accepted anywhere else, I am going to be so in love with this school that I will have a hard time considering others... even ones I had initially ranked "higher" than this school... lol.  Must... remain... objective...

I'm having a similar issue. I had two top choices, got accepted to one, and haven't heard from the other yet (although it appears no one has, so it's still a possibility). I'm so in love with the school where I got accepted, I'm losing my objectivity! My thesis advisor keeps telling me to remain open, and I understand all the reasons why, but is it really so bad to love a choice? Especially if I may never hear from the other one, whereas this one WANTS me?

I'm having a similar issue. I had two top choices, got accepted to one, and haven't heard from the other yet (although it appears no one has, so it's still a possibility). I'm so in love with the school where I got accepted, I'm losing my objectivity! My thesis advisor keeps telling me to remain open, and I understand all the reasons why, but is it really so bad to love a choice? Especially if I may never hear from the other one, whereas this one WANTS me?

I wouldn't say its bad to love a choice, so long as you don't obsess over it and see only things at that particular university, you know? let the love come later, after you've heard back from everywhere and you've visited the top choices!

i've been doing something similar: it's been a while since i submitted my apps. during the process of narrowing down a selection of schools, i obviously had a favorite or two. now, however, it's been so long that i sort of forced myself to loosen my emotional grip, so i could make a more objective decision down the road if i got in anywhere, let alone with any sort of funding to consider.

now that i've gotten an acceptance, and expect to hear back from a couple more schools within the next week or so, i'm finding that my emotional attachments are coming back, but in totally different ways, e.g., my first acceptance made me like the program a lot more (very affordable, POI seemed more personable, felt like i had a better choice of electives, etc.), and playing the waiting game has made me like other programs less. 

i am officially a total emotional basket case.  :wacko:

I know what you mean about reading more about the school. I got invited to an important recruitment event at a school, a school that was one I wasn't even going to apply to, and now is most likely my #1 pick after doing more research. Funny!

Yes... the school that was my top choice just sent me word, but it happened two weeks after the school that used to be my second choice started courting me. Suddenly, first choice/second choice don't seem so clear anymore...

Oh jeez I'd love to have your "problems". :P

Oh jeez I'd love to have your "problems". :P

Sorry, Iphi! I was waiting a good long while first, though, and I definitely feel fortunate to have the "problem" I now have! Good luck, and hopefully you too will be debating over schools soon.

Sorry, Iphi! I was waiting a good long while first, though, and I definitely feel fortunate to have the "problem" I now have! Good luck, and hopefully you too will be debating over schools soon.

Haha, thank you! I haven't heard from anywhere, and am going slightly loony.