Ray of Hope

MDLee

SO I broke down and called my last three potentials today (just now) completely forgetting that the East Coast schools are all (obviously) closed right now. Duh, right?

BUT--Iowa hasn't made their decision yet. They've gone through a round or two and rejections may have gone out, but if I haven't gotten on, there is still hope for me!!

I will call USC and Emory tomorrow. At some point one must take control of this situation and just demand an answer :wink:

SO I broke down and called my last three potentials today (just now) completely forgetting that the East Coast schools are all (obviously) closed right now. Duh, right?

BUT--Iowa hasn't made their decision yet. They've gone through a round or two and rejections may have gone out, but if I haven't gotten on, there is still hope for me!!

I will call USC and Emory tomorrow. At some point one must take control of this situation and just demand an answer :wink:

Good luck!! I'm going to try and give them one more week to mail me my rejection letters, but I'm not sure if I will last that long.

I broke down last Friday (after having zero accepts and getting rejected from UCSD where I really wanted to go) and started calling the schools that hadn't gotten back to me yet...

Found out I was accepted at Rutgers with a TA and waitlisted at U.Pittsburgh. The official acceptance notice from Rutgers went up on the site today.

All I can say is dont lose hope...

I broke down last Friday (after having zero accepts and getting rejected from UCSD where I really wanted to go) and started calling the schools that hadn't gotten back to me yet...

Found out I was accepted at Rutgers with a TA and waitlisted at U.Pittsburgh. The official acceptance notice from Rutgers went up on the site today.

All I can say is dont lose hope...

The California schools are REALLY hurting this year...so I get shocked when someone DOES get admitted to their programs. Congratulations on Rutgers--that's friggin' awesome!! :D:D:D

The California schools are REALLY hurting this year...so I get shocked when someone DOES get admitted to their programs. Congratulations on Rutgers--that's friggin' awesome!! :D:D:D

Thanks mate! If you havent come in contact with the programs you are waiting on, then you could also try calling them up. The worst that can happen is that you'll get a "we cant give you admission decisions over the phone" bit. Programs that have already made decisions but havent mailed them out yet will probably tell you about your status.

I'm a total dingdong. I knew you were applying to USC but I didn't even think about UI meaning Iowa!! I don't know why, it just didn't occur to me! But now I'm really excited!! I've heard that their decisions won't go out until late in the month, like the 25th or so. It's my first choice so I'm REALLYYYY anxious to hear from them. Although, I heard from someone in the polisci field that the DGS told him/her that funding is practically nonexistent... so who knows.... I'm scared but anxious!

I'm a total dingdong. I knew you were applying to USC but I didn't even think about UI meaning Iowa!! I don't know why, it just didn't occur to me! But now I'm really excited!! I've heard that their decisions won't go out until late in the month, like the 25th or so. It's my first choice so I'm REALLYYYY anxious to hear from them. Although, I heard from someone in the polisci field that the DGS told him/her that funding is practically nonexistent... so who knows.... I'm scared but anxious!

Well...I guess this is good news for both of us :D

I used to know a quote that said something like "Hope deferred leaveth the man sad" or something like that. I'm sure it's much prettier than that, but anyway.... I HOPE that we all keep some HOPE throughout this process :D as hard as it may be sometimes

i'm steeling myself to call a school tomorrow. i can continue waiting, but i need to request april days off at my job by thursday, so if i end up getting in and trying to schedule a visit at the last minute things could get messy. i'm oddly nervous, i hate feeling as though i'm imposing on people...your stories of calling going just fine are calming.

I used to know a quote that said something like "Hope deferred leaveth the man sad" or something like that. I'm sure it's much prettier than that, but anyway.... I HOPE that we all keep some HOPE throughout this process :D as hard as it may be sometimes

That's actually in the Bible--Proverbs 13:12 "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is the tree of life." How true that is. \

Hope deferred will depress me for the summer. Desire fulfilled will totally give me a new lease on life ;)

i'm steeling myself to call a school tomorrow. i can continue waiting, but i need to request april days off at my job by thursday, so if i end up getting in and trying to schedule a visit at the last minute things could get messy. i'm oddly nervous, i hate feeling as though i'm imposing on people...your stories of calling going just fine are calming.

No stress--deep breath. Make the call. It'll be okay, and it'll put your mind at ease. The admin assistants at these universities tend to be the sweetest people on the face of the planet and they completely understand that you're under stress and dying while waiting.

They won't chew you out.

Make sure to bring them flowers when you start school there next semester :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I called, and found out I was waitlisted, so I probably won't even end up in the same state as the helpful admin assistant to shower her with gifts next fall (unless I go visit some relatives near there for the holidays, but that's irrelevant). Anyway, it was REALLY helpful to just get that answer, it's one less thing to worry about.

I don't know if you guys already know this or not, but just in case you don't: I talked to the DGS yesterday and he mentioned that USC is on spring break this week and that "not much is going on." So, you probably won't hear anything this week anyway, unless they mailed out a letter or something.

I don't know if you guys already know this or not, but just in case you don't: I talked to the DGS yesterday and he mentioned that USC is on spring break this week and that "not much is going on." So, you probably won't hear anything this week anyway, unless they mailed out a letter or something.

now THAT is good information. It explains so much (like why I can't get a hold of anyone over there...)

THANKS RISS!! :D

Good luck MDLee! Let me know how it turns up with USC. I'm still waiting to hear anything from them regading my app and will be calling/emailing them as well by next week. *mumble grumble*

Will keep you (and the entire board) posted... :D

now THAT is good information. It explains so much (like why I can't get a hold of anyone over there...)

THANKS RISS!! :D

That is good info. I just checked to see when the spring breaks are for each of my remaining prospective schools. Looks like they both take spring break next week. So here's hoping they both decide to finish "taking out the trash" (as someone humorously put it on another thread) before they all go on break. :| I just want to know already...

So here's hoping they both decide to finish "taking out the trash" (as someone humorously put it on another thread) before they all go on break.

And here's hoping your app isn't in the trash. If they keep it and accept you--its worth it.

That is good info. I just checked to see when the spring breaks are for each of my remaining prospective schools. Looks like they both take spring break next week. So here's hoping they both decide to finish "taking out the trash" (as someone humorously put it on another thread) before they all go on break. :| I just want to know already...

Aggh, I'm waiting on the same two schools! >_<

Aggh, I'm waiting on the same two schools! >_<

Dear Maryland and NYU--

Please hurry your slow butts up.

Thanks,

--the freaking out, waiting masses

I'm even more glued to my email today than I usually am. No word yet...I keep jumping at each new email--then it turns out to just be a coupon from Best Buy or something lame like that.