UT-Austin

I just got back from SXSW. The trip has me seriously reconsidering moving back to Austin. Rent is going way up all over campus and, although I'm okay taking out a small amount of loans to live on, I'm worried that my steipend might only cover my rent (this appears to be the case for the 2 students I saw during my trip.) That's way more debt than I want to take on. At this point, I'm leaning towards declining any offer I may receive off the waitlist. Ugh/barf/puke.

That sounds insane and I can't imagine how that is possible. In my cursory attempts to find apartments so far, I've been finding places that would consume about half of the stipend, and I fully intend to find a place that's even cheaper than that. Hopefully the apartment locators can help me with that, but if the visit goes as well as I hope, I am more than willing to live farther away to save money.

I've been browsing apartments on Craigslist around the Hyde Park and South Congress areas, and most of the places that look decent are relatively small studio and 1-bedrooms that cost at least $800 -- given the stipend, that's kind of high.

But I might be inclined  to go to UT Austin if I knew that Grumpy Cat would be appearing at SXSW next year too.

Yeah, Craigslist had been surprisingly useless for Austin. I've found much cheaper stuff through random googling. I found places in the lower 700s and even some below that. Of course, those numbers are still pretty high for the stipend, but nowhere near doom and gloom.

Edited by dazedandbemused

...rent costs like $1200 around campus?

Not exactly, but close. Here's an article I found about rent in Austin this morning that's adding to my general stress level: http://kutnews.org/post/minimum-wage-job-austin-gets-you-two-bedroom-apt-and-111-hour-work-week

For close to campus (walking distance) rent's a little higher ($1,000 depending on where you live.) If you're willing to depend on the unreliable buss service or drive it's closer to $850. Either way, that leaves around $400 for utilities, car insurance, medical bills, phone, internet, books, food, 5% tuition, etc. And I desperately do not want a roommate. I'm sure some people can do it. But. Sigh. Barf. 

When I lived in Austin a couple of years ago, rent was a lot less (one bedroom for like $600/700.) I hadn't considered how that might be different now. I really thought that the stipend, while modest, would be doable. Now I'm worried. Also, just generally freaking out.

Not trying to kill anyone's buzz or whatever. Honest. Sorry for irresponsibly freaking out via internet. 

I am not trying to just sell you on UT (though of course, my first year here at UT has been amazing!) but I live in North Austin (there's a bus line direct to campus, with a 2 minute walk to Parlin, though I don't take this option as often) and I take the park and ride, which is free and take the limited-stop bus so that I don't have to buy a campus parking pass. I can think of one time where I waited about 25 minutes for the 101 (which I prefer to the 1L/1M since they stop more frequently) but otherwise, I would wholeheartedly consider the bus service reliable. And my rent is in the 700's. It takes more time but if you fly in for 2 or 3 days, you can look at several places and decide (you're lucky, we had to wait until June to look for a place, when it's much harder to find affordable apts). I know a few grad students moving out to my area because there are better prices, it's less undergrad-y/noisy and there are some really great restaurants, shopping, and an Alamo Drafthouse up here.

Just my two cents.

My advice, for now, is to ignore the doom and gloom of the internet.  I live within walking distance, cycle in every day, and pay less than $700 in rent for a one bedroom place in a fantastic area.  I am happy to tell y'all more next weekend.

:D

Speaking of telling us more, do you think that will include showing us a list of courses offered in the Fall?  I'm dying of curiosity.

That's good to know. Did you have to spend awhile looking in the city? I get the feeling Austin is one of those places where the deals are on the ground, not online. I spoke to an apartment locator who told me that I would never find a one-bedroom within Hyde Park or walking distance that would be less than $795. I refuse to believe that. Primarily because I desperately want to come to Austin and I definitely won't be able to if the rent is that high.

Just adding my own judgement to what Marlowe and Guate have to say:

Rents are going up, but you can totally find a place to live that's less than $1200 and walkable/bikeable.

I pay $800 in Hyde Park, which is a lot, but it's also a house with a yard. Meanwhile, there's a $700 studio across the street. Real Estate in Austin is crazy and makes no sense. I found my place by walking around Hyde Park and taking down the numbers of any place for rent and calling around. Also, as Marlowe mentioned, Real Estate people can be really useful. They're paid on commission, so there's no cost to you. Also, if you have no car, they'll drive you around which is great if you have no car.

Gosh, if I were still doing coursework, I wouldn't be able to get anything done.  Thinking about graduate programs and researching locations has consumed me for the past couple months.

My visits have been nothing short of amazing.  I've found out a lot more about each program, and everyone's so friendly, supportive, and helpful.  They really do pull out all the stops to woo you.  I want to attend them all, but unfortunately, there can be only one...

So I'm considering UT for Comp Lit, not English, but I'm having a really hard time choosing between UT and another comparable school. What makes my decision difficult is that for years 2-4 (UT TAship/AIship) the other school's funding easily doubles UT's and is guaranteed for 6 years, not 5. They're both great fits for me, with the difference that at UT placement records are better and the department is much bigger. At the other school, however, I could do a joint PhD.

I know people get by on the $13k, but I'm not sure I want to be worrying about money for the next six years. Anyone have any insights into my dilemma? I'm really torn!

Ah, ok. I've had a lot of issues with the funding too, but I don't know how similar English is to Comp Lit. Honestly though, I think my offer from UT adds up to more money overall than my others, though I'm still not psyched about only having 95% tuition paid. I figure, I can live off of 13k for the first year because the stipend goes up 3k in the 3rd year and the summer funding kicks in during the second summer. Also, as someone else mentioned in another thread, I had to come to grips with the fact that UT is a state school in a red state. Any money they have is probably not going to the humanities. I'm personally leaning to UT because their job placements are way better, their program's structure sounds like one in which I can pace myself while I grow as a scholar, and better, more recognizable potential advisors. Also, the weather. And the Mexican food. Did I mention I hate snow?

Have you had a chance to visit and take stock of the department yet? That might make your choice for you.

Edited by dazedandbemused

Ah, ok. I've had a lot of issues with the funding too, but I don't know how similar English is to Comp Lit. Honestly though, I think my offer from UT adds up to more money overall than my others, though I'm still not psyched about only having 95% tuition paid. I figure, I can live off of 13k for the first year because the stipend goes up 3k in the 3rd year and the summer funding kicks in during the second summer. Also, as someone else mentioned in another thread, I had to come to grips with the fact that UT is a state school in a red state. Any money they have is probably not going to the humanities. I'm personally leaning to UT because their job placements are way better, their program's structure sounds like one in which I can pace myself while I grow as a scholar, and better, more recognizable potential advisors. Also, the weather. And the Mexican food. Did I mention I hate snow?

Have you had a chance to visit and take stock of the department yet? That might make your choice for you.

I think base funding is identical from Comp Lit to English. I have actually visited both schools, which has just made it harder! I liked Austin, but I feel like I'd need a car (am a terrible biker) but don't know if I could afford it. I guess the question is: if both programs are about equal in prestige, but one happens to have better placement for whatever reason and is in a cool city, is it worth choosing over really generous funding at the other? I know this is a very personal question, but I just feel no closer to making my decision post-visit!

I think base funding is identical from Comp Lit to English. I have actually visited both schools, which has just made it harder! I liked Austin, but I feel like I'd need a car (am a terrible biker) but don't know if I could afford it. I guess the question is: if both programs are about equal in prestige, but one happens to have better placement for whatever reason and is in a cool city, is it worth choosing over really generous funding at the other? I know this is a very personal question, but I just feel no closer to making my decision post-visit!

If they are equal in prestige and especially in faculty/program fit, then I would go with the school that has a better placement record. 

But if you really can't make ends meet on the stipend, then the choice is obvious, isn't it?  Have you considered negotiating for more money?  The generous funding at one school can give you leverage at another.

Edited by brigadierpudding