UT-Austin

Welcome, grumpyface! Have you looked at the course listings yet? Are you salivating too, or is that just me? After a year of having to try to find courses that match my interests, I don't know how to deal with having like, 6 great classes in the English department plus some awesome stuff over in Religious studies and WGS. There's just too much!

Welcome, grumpyface! Have you looked at the course listings yet? Are you salivating too, or is that just me? After a year of having to try to find courses that match my interests, I don't know how to deal with having like, 6 great classes in the English department plus some awesome stuff over in Religious studies and WGS. There's just too much!

I'M DYING. and you're right on the money--finally finding courses to complement my interests rather than trying really hard to make random classes work for me. And so excited to take whatever the eff I want! hallelujah!

Hello everyone! I also accepted my UT offer this week. So excited! The course listing looks great. Very diverse and it inspires me to take courses outside my primary interests. Looking forward to getting to know everyone better in the Fall.

So now that we're officially students, would it be weird to ask professors if they have any recommended reading? I've been trying to find some readings on Transatlantic women writers, but I don't really know where to start, and I have no idea how to go about asking. Have any of y'all had extended interaction with anyone other than Dr. Lesser?

Edited by dazedandbemused

Hi everybody and congrats on making a decision!  I'm a little bit more in limbo, with some great offers, but the waitlist there in Austin.  Anyone have any sense of whether they'll move to the waitlist this year?  Sounds like a lot of people are accepting (for good reason).

Hi, Globalist! I'm also waitlisted at Austin and I saw from last year's posts that Austin announced their waitlist results around April 12. I'm hoping they will accelerate their process this year (to shorten the number of days of my anxiety) but they might have a regular schedule?

Btw, congrats to you all who are accepted and attending! Texas-Austin seems soooooooooooo nice!!! I really hope I can be your cohort mate :>

Hi everybody and congrats on making a decision!  I'm a little bit more in limbo, with some great offers, but the waitlist there in Austin.  Anyone have any sense of whether they'll move to the waitlist this year?  Sounds like a lot of people are accepting (for good reason).

Hi, Globalist! I'm also waitlisted at Austin and I saw from last year's posts that Austin announced their waitlist results around April 12. I'm hoping they will accelerate their process this year (to shorten the number of days of my anxiety) but they might have a regular schedule?

Btw, congrats to you all who are accepted and attending! Texas-Austin seems soooooooooooo nice!!! I really hope I can be your cohort mate :>

I wish I could help you guys out, but we weren't really told anything about the waitlist. It really does depend on your subfield though, since from what I understand the waitlist isn't ranked, so all you can hope is that the Victorianist, or whatever you study, that was accepted turns it down.. I've heard that a significant number of people got in off the waitlist last year, but a lot of the people that I talked to during the visit weekend seemed like they were leaning pretty strongly toward UT Austin. Then again, I know there were a few who were still seriously considering other choices, and there were others who I didn't really get to talk to much at all. I think part of the reason that so many people might be accepting is that there were definitely three or four who were pulled from the waitlist before visit weekend so they probably were already strongly in favor of UT. Have you tried getting in contact with Dr. Lesser? I've heard he isn't the best at keeping in contact with waitlisters, but it might be worth a try. Since our visit weekend was earlier than last year's, you hopefully won't have to wait as long to hear back!

It really does depend on your subfield though, since from what I understand the waitlist isn't ranked, so all you can hope is that the Victorianist, or whatever you study, that was accepted turns it down.. I've heard that a significant number of people got in off the waitlist last year, but a lot of the people that I talked to during the visit weekend seemed like they were leaning pretty strongly toward UT Austin.

My visit weekend was very similar: most of the people I talked to said they were definitely going to UNC, so I was really worried that I wouldn't be accepted off the wait list.  But look what happened! :D

So to those on the wait list: don't lose hope!  It's not over 'til the 15th, and acceptance offers could come at any time!

I do have good choices and it's going to be a difficult decision, particularly in deciding between USC and Austin.  USC is offering a significantly bigger funding package, but I don't want to decide based on that.  I am currently re-researching Austin and trying to decide what makes the most sense.

Anyone want to weigh in?  I'm interested in studying the contemporary global novel....

I'm surprised they accepted anyone off the waitlist already--in my wait list email Wayne Lesser said that admitted students day was later than usual this year and basically indicated that it would be rather late in the game before I knew for sure whether I was accepted or rejected. U Texas is my top choice, so I'm really hoping for this one. The waiting is killing me.

Anyone here with research interests in Modernism? I know there probably are people who have accepted interested in that field, and I don't know how many from each area they'd admit (or even how big the class as a whole usually is), but it'd still be nice to know. Wayne Lesser was really nice in the original email but sucks at staying in contact and I'm starved for, like, any information at all.

I do have good choices and it's going to be a difficult decision, particularly in deciding between USC and Austin.  USC is offering a significantly bigger funding package, but I don't want to decide based on that.  I am currently re-researching Austin and trying to decide what makes the most sense.

Anyone want to weigh in?  I'm interested in studying the contemporary global novel....

I assume you got USC's $30k offer? That's assuming their humanities packages are fairly similar...but anyway, bear in mind that living costs make a big difference here. Austin is likely not nearly as expensive as living near USC.

Yes, $30K at USC makes it difficult to switch the thinking to the Austin stipend.  But I'm so impressed with the school overall.  It seems to have a great placement record, and also a phenomenally open and interdisciplinary approach to classes - sort of allowing you to craft it yourself with the help of mentors.  My gut tells me Austin, but I really do worry how I'll survive on what they are offering.

Is there a reason you're not mentioning Boston Univ.? I have a friend there who appears to be thrilled, so far (just completing first year). I don't know much about their exact area but it involves scifi, the emerging areas of speculative realism, etc. 

As for Austin, you should talk to dazedandbemused here on the forum, who turned down a very attractive package from Pitt to go for Austin--they would have much better guidance for you. 

Thanks Swagato, actually USC and Austin have a lot of the interdisciplinary options that I'm interested in as well as high tech add-ons like courses etc. in the Digital Humanities which I'm interested in being able to integrate into the degree.  Tufts and BU are great places, it's just that USC and Austin seem to fit more overall for me and my interests.  For those who were asking about focus - mine spans the full 20th and into 21 centuries - including modernism, but also contemporary global literature. 

As for waitlisters - I had a similar experience in not hearing anything while on the waitlist until I got an email at 9:45 Monday night offering me admission. 

Those of you who had the opportunity to visit - what was your sense of the community in the department?  Eager to get people's senses since I'll have to decide not having visited or met anyone.

Thanks!!!

Those of you who had the opportunity to visit - what was your sense of the community in the department?  Eager to get people's senses since I'll have to decide not having visited or met anyone.

Thanks!!!

Honestly, the sense of community was one of the biggest things that convinced me to accept. I didn't feel like I was having the program sold to me at any point; all of the faculty were friendly, personable, and really funny. I had so many great and informal conversations with faculty in the two days I was down there. The grad students that I hung out with were super chill and all seemed to really know and like each other.  I know super chill isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a very laid-back person and I knew from the get-go that I wanted to be in a program where the students are friends as well as colleagues, and I really got that sense from them. Dr. Lesser even said that they like to pick people who are fun because they're trying to build a community. On the first night of our visit the current students "forced"  :)  us to go out and drink together so we could experience some cohort bonding; I don't think that's normal at many programs, but I loved it.

In terms of the scholarly assets, there were just soo many resources I didn't know where to look. The Harry Ransom Center alone is staggering, but I particularly loved how interdisciplinary the program was; Dr. Lesser more or less said that you can take whatever classes you need to take for the career that you want; if that means half of them are in the Women and Gender studies program or Religious Studies or whatever, that's up to you. I thought that was amazing.

I also thought the sheer size of the department was a huge plus because there were five or six people who I'm dying to work with whereas at other programs I had two, maybe three. I also really appreciated the emphasis on the idea that we've been accepted to the program, rather than to work with advisors. It makes me feel like the world is my oyster, on a certain level. And of course, their placement rate is nothing to shake a stick at. According to Dr. Lesser, and I have no reason to doubt him, UT has the best job placement record of any school in the top 20. Their attrition rate is so unbelievably low (which I think probably has a lot to do with their support system) that, considering how many students they turn out every year, their placement rate is seriously impressive. Honestly, I have no regrets that I turned down the money because the opportunities are worth so much more.

This sounds great!  So relieved.  I definitely am interested in finding a close and active social community as well as an academically challenging one.  Thrilled to hear that the grad students seem close and that the professors are approachable.  I know having taken some graduate classes at other Universities that the Ph.D. program can be a lonely process, and I know that I personally am far more productive when I can also take social breaks, or mull over ideas with friends.

Thanks for your input!  I suppose I could always take loans if it turned out to be necessary . . . I just get worried thinking about what I make now, and the fact that I have NO SAVINGS, but am also not a big spender.  I guess you can always make something work though. 

Honestly, the sense of community was one of the biggest things that convinced me to accept. I didn't feel like I was having the program sold to me at any point; all of the faculty were friendly, personable, and really funny. I had so many great and informal conversations with faculty in the two days I was down there. The grad students that I hung out with were super chill and all seemed to really know and like each other.  I know super chill isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a very laid-back person and I knew from the get-go that I wanted to be in a program where the students are friends as well as colleagues, and I really got that sense from them. Dr. Lesser even said that they like to pick people who are fun because they're trying to build a community. On the first night of our visit the current students "forced"  :)  us to go out and drink together so we could experience some cohort bonding; I don't think that's normal at many programs, but I loved it.