2013 Decisions Thread

scholl43

Question for those who were accepted to the Georgetown GHD program.  How much international development experience do you have?  Did anyone get accepted that had minimal or no development related experience?  I got the impression that to be competitive for the GHD program you needed several years of intl development experience already.  And I believe it is a very small program, something like 20 people accepted in its first year (last year).  I think they are planning to double the incoming class of students this year to 40.  I applied to MSFS Intl Dev instead of GHD because I had less international development experience, and instead international finance experience, so thought I would be more competitive for MSFS than GHD.  I am planning to switch careers to intl development.  Any insight you can share would be helpful.  Thanks

I was accepted with minimal development work, but I feel my experience is relevant.  Several years in finance, less than a year in human rights work in developing country (current), but I have also traveled internationally a ton, had 2 semesters abroad in university, and studied IR in undergrad.  While experience is obviously a huge part of the admissions process, I think a lot of has to do with the story you tell..and how much it makes sense.  I imagine the large majority of students (and possibly applicants) have a good amount of development work under their belts, but some are looking for the career change you mention...and with a top ranked degree to jump start that move.  Adcoms are looking to see a commitment to the new career -- experience is just the easiest way to show that.

On the topic of class size for this year -- where did you hear they plan to double the size?  Any idea how large the applicant pool was/acceptance rate?

I was accepted with minimal development work, but I feel my experience is relevant.  Several years in finance, less than a year in human rights work in developing country (current), but I have also traveled internationally a ton, had 2 semesters abroad in university, and studied IR in undergrad.  While experience is obviously a huge part of the admissions process, I think a lot of has to do with the story you tell..and how much it makes sense.  I imagine the large majority of students (and possibly applicants) have a good amount of development work under their belts, but some are looking for the career change you mention...and with a top ranked degree to jump start that move.  Adcoms are looking to see a commitment to the new career -- experience is just the easiest way to show that.

On the topic of class size for this year -- where did you hear they plan to double the size?  Any idea how large the applicant pool was/acceptance rate?

I spoke with a student in December who is in the GHD program and he said that he had heard that the program was expanding and if I remember correctly that meant going from 20 to approximately 40 admitted students (for a total of 60 after 2 year).  Dont know what the size of the applicant pool was or acceptance rate for this year.

You got a full ride for Korbel? Sounds like a good deal. I guess you'll be going for that then? Any news from the other schools?

Yeah I got a full ride which I wasn't expecting. Korbel wasn't on the top of my list when I applied but the money is definitely making it a very tempting option. Still waiting for the other schools. If I get admitted to one of my top schools (SAIS or SIPA) it's going to be a tough decision.

Full tuition. That's awesome. Are you going for USC then if UW doesn't match it?

I'm excited for sure. If UW doesn't match it, yeah, USC is almost a sure thing. I think it might be a better fit for what I'm interested in too, my only concern right now is if I were to go to USC I'd have to find a way to make some money while in school. Since I majored in biochemistry and my experience is in scientific research it could be difficult to find something relevant to my interests (transportation/urban policy). I'm not complaining though--worst case scenario is I take out federal loans for living expenses. There are much worse problems to have. :)

Question for those who were accepted to the Georgetown GHD program.  How much international development experience do you have?  Did anyone get accepted that had minimal or no development related experience?  I got the impression that to be competitive for the GHD program you needed several years of intl development experience already.  And I believe it is a very small program, something like 20 people accepted in its first year (last year).  I think they are planning to double the incoming class of students this year to 40.  I applied to MSFS Intl Dev instead of GHD because I had less international development experience, and instead international finance experience, so thought I would be more competitive for MSFS than GHD.  I am planning to switch careers to intl development.  Any insight you can share would be helpful.  Thanks

I've been accepted and am also switching careers.

Int Dev't experience - I do not have direct experience here. But I am from a developing country, worked on some good volunteering programs, now work in a developed country with good international finance experience and I'm looking for an educational base from which I can apply all these experiences to international dev't. Hence GHD.

Program size - Their goal this year is to keep that small number. They are looking at 20-25.

I'm excited for sure. If UW doesn't match it, yeah, USC is almost a sure thing. I think it might be a better fit for what I'm interested in too, my only concern right now is if I were to go to USC I'd have to find a way to make some money while in school. Since I majored in biochemistry and my experience is in scientific research it could be difficult to find something relevant to my interests (transportation/urban policy). I'm not complaining though--worst case scenario is I take out federal loans for living expenses. There are much worse problems to have. :)

Considering that education is an investment that has no depreciating value and a lot of people buy cars with that much, if not more, value then I think it's a good plan. You also might be able to find your way into a fellowship. So yes definitely a lot worse problems to have haha. You're making a good choice in my opinion.

On another note, I hope the schools that run a blog and have their decision deadlines approaching realize that anything they post that doesn't have to do with the decisions is not being read. 

On another note, I hope the schools that run a blog and have their decision deadlines approaching realize that anything they post that doesn't have to do with the decisions is not being read. 

I swear, if I get one more email from "Wagner Admissions" that is about an upcoming webinar, not about actual admissions, I'm going to scream!

I swear, if I get one more email from "Wagner Admissions" that is about an upcoming webinar, not about actual admissions, I'm going to scream!

Seriously! Why do they keep sending those?? I feel sick every time I see their name in my inbox, which has been far too frequent this close to admissions!

Seriously! Why do they keep sending those?? I feel sick every time I see their name in my inbox, which has been far too frequent this close to admissions!

I think they just like keeping us on our toes lol. It's really miserable. 

Waitlisted at Goldman. Waiting for HKS, Wagner and SIPA. Anyone knows when decisions will be released?

In SIPA's blog post yesterday, they said they are looking to begin releasing decisions on 3/18.  Not sure of the other two

So far...

Applied: NYU, U of MD, GWU, U of Mich, UofChicago, UT-Austin, & Indiana...

Accepted: U of MD, UT-Austin, Indiana...

Rejected: None so far...

No word on funding from any of my 3 acceptances...Should I call to follow up about this? I just got the UT-A acceptance today and it doesn't even have a reference number, but this is info I need to know! Anyone else here from the others on my list?

HKS 7% depending of the year, Goldman no clue

Huh? HKS isn't 7%. That is lower than both HLS and HBS. The MPP at HKS went below 20% just three years ago, so it's probably somewhere around 15-18% now. 

Anyone have fresh admissions statistics?

15-18%? The latest data I have found show about 25-28% on HKS. However, maybe that's weighted by higher rates in the MPA and MC/MPA. Goldman is about 25-30% from what I've read.

Don't take my word on this data. Most of it is based on discussions like this one at several forums or non-official websites.

rich1234, official LBJ admission letters with funding should come out in the next days this week. That's what the Admissions Coordinator told me by email today !

15-18%? The latest data I have found show about 25-28% on HKS. However, maybe that's weighted by higher rates in the MPA and MC/MPA. Goldman is about 25-30% from what I've read.

Don't take my word on this data. Most of it is based on discussions like this one at several forums or non-official websites.

Yes, that's the overall rate with the MPA and MC/MPA. The most recent data on the MPP I've found was 19%, and that was in 2009 or 2010. Since HKS keeps getting more applicants each year, I can only assume it has gone down since then.

Edited by soapwater

Hi guys, current GHD-er here :D  Just wanted to clear some things up -

GHD is definitely a part of SFS - I think the Graduate School just handles all official acceptance letters and official business. Indhika and I talked alot about the benefits of studying within SFS when I had my interview. 

With regards to financing, I think they've given out the initial merit scholarships to 30-40% of admitted students (that's what the website says) and of course they will probably be re-distributing them to others as people decline admission. It seems, though, that Georgetown also sometimes offers its graduate students fellowships and assistantships. But I don't think anyone accepted to GHD was offered either of those? Those are a different type of funding. 

Yes, it is in SFS.  Also, for our electives, we can take courses from any of Gtown's programs - so you can take classes through GPPI, the business school, the law school, and obviously a lot of us take straight-up SFS courses (GHD also has its own electives that we are guaranteed spots in and which have been popular this semester with students from other programs). 

As for the fellowships, I can't really say for sure.  There are some to apply for (I am applying for FLAS as we speak).  Some people have jobs (I currently have a paid internship at an NGO, that I got thanks to our program) and I think a couple have scholarships outside of GHD.  I can't say for certain because we don't really talk about money amongst ourselves.  This is definitely where it would help just to email our program heads, as they are very upfront about everything, and they would be able to tell you best what your options are.

The program is staying at 20.  I imagine when you were speaking with someone and they said 40, they probably meant something along the lines of the program in total having 40 people once the new cohort gets here.  (this is something we talk about, as it will be strange to have a new cohort soon! haha)

For experience, everyone in our program now has at least a year of development experience.  Most have more, or at least some other kind of work experience.  I'd say beyond development work, at least international experience is a must.  Frankly, it makes our classes a lot better because we've all worked in the field in some way, so you come into the program at least with a basic understanding of how these concepts and such work in the real world. It's been pretty great learning from other students' experiences as well.

Please feel free to message me with any questions.  And congrats to all who got in - all of us in the current cohort are super excited to meet people!

**EDIT - we can also take classes at any school in the DC Consortium, such as American, GW, Maryland, etc.  http://www.consortium.org/consortium/index.cfm **

Edited by bgreenster