Princeton WWS

Wanderlust22

Let's keep it friendly and also keep it WWS in here.  Two weeks to decisions.  Also, keep your eye out for the new admissions blog, coming up soon.

Fenderpete, can you share your WWS experience so far with us? Very interested to know how its been like. thanks

Fenderpete, can you share your WWS experience so far with us? Very interested to know how its been like. thanks

I second that! Very interested in learning about your experience at WWS, Fenderpete. In particuluar, any information you can provide about the first year economics courses would be much appreciated!

Sure... Feel free to shoot me a private message if you want more info.  I think so far in my first year I've been most blown away by the rest of my cohort.  I've got to say that's what made the biggest impression on me during hosting weekend and it has kind of stuck.  It's a mix of being surrounded by people who've done some really amazing things, and then also the cross-pollination that breeds between subject areas.

For example, I'm pretty IR/Development focused, but so far this year I've been to a lot of talks and presentations from my peers (MPPs and MPAs) about more domestically and economics focused issues.  Being surrounded by people who are so passionate about their topic area kind of rubs off, and it's definitely broadened my interests and given me some new insights for my own field.  Without sounding too mushy, there really is a great community here - and that extends to the social side of things as well as the academic side.  

Economics-wise, first years all take micro, macro, statistics and econometrics.  It's separated into three different tracks depending on how math/calculus heavy you want to go.  B-track is minimal track, C-track is pretty moderate and then D-track is filled with folks who can do mathematical proofs without batting an eyelid.  All three tracks look at similar stuff (consumer behavior, game theory, the firm, labor, growth) but through a slightly different lens in terms of technique.  I've been kind of surprised as a non-quant focused person as I have absolutely loved stats and macro.  There are then also a lot more focused classes on deeper topics - for example Paul Krugman is doing a class on the financial crisis.

Anything else you guys want to know?

Sure... Feel free to shoot me a private message if you want more info.  I think so far in my first year I've been most blown away by the rest of my cohort.  I've got to say that's what made the biggest impression on me during hosting weekend and it has kind of stuck.  It's a mix of being surrounded by people who've done some really amazing things, and then also the cross-pollination that breeds between subject areas.

For example, I'm pretty IR/Development focused, but so far this year I've been to a lot of talks and presentations from my peers (MPPs and MPAs) about more domestically and economics focused issues.  Being surrounded by people who are so passionate about their topic area kind of rubs off, and it's definitely broadened my interests and given me some new insights for my own field.  Without sounding too mushy, there really is a great community here - and that extends to the social side of things as well as the academic side.  

Economics-wise, first years all take micro, macro, statistics and econometrics.  It's separated into three different tracks depending on how math/calculus heavy you want to go.  B-track is minimal track, C-track is pretty moderate and then D-track is filled with folks who can do mathematical proofs without batting an eyelid.  All three tracks look at similar stuff (consumer behavior, game theory, the firm, labor, growth) but through a slightly different lens in terms of technique.  I've been kind of surprised as a non-quant focused person as I have absolutely loved stats and macro.  There are then also a lot more focused classes on deeper topics - for example Paul Krugman is doing a class on the financial crisis.

Anything else you guys want to know?

Not that I'm holding my breath for an acceptance letter, but I do have a few questions if you don't mind! 

Can you comment on the time commitment that classes require for most students? I know WWS classes are known to be intense. Does that mean students typically do not intern or have some part-time work during school terms?

In terms of course options, it seems like WWS has a more structured curriculum and fewer opportunities (or options) for "electives" compared to other schools. Natural given the smaller size of the program. Do you find this to be the case, or are there enough opportunities to explore niche subject interests within the context of the required classes?

What about social and academic life outside of the classroom? Is WWS a cohesive group, and/or is it easy to meet people across Princeton grad school programs? Are there many academic panels and forums held at the school? Finally, what do you think of Princeton the town? 

Thanks so much for returning to these forums. So nice that you're willing to take the time for prospective students' questions.

No problem at all.  In terms of time commitment your schedule is pretty packed in first year, given that you have precepts on top of lectures for the pre-req quant classes.  First semester is particularly busy, but now a few people from our class have started interning on Fridays in New York or NJ.  If you can figure out an internship that works with your timetable and doesn't interfere with work outside class it shouldn't be an issue, but the program is pretty intense in terms of workload.

In your second year you have pretty much free choice in terms of classes (you must take at least 4 classes per semester - 8 total of which one will be a pre-requisite field-specific econ class).  It really depends on what you are studying as to whether there are a lot of interesting choices - if you want to talk more about this post-admit decisions feel free to fire me a PM.

Socially I can't say enough about our class.  Despite the workload, we've found time to do some pretty great stuff outside of class.  We went out to Ohio to work on the presidential campaign, went out to the Jersey Shore, did a ski trip up on the Poconos and in our class of 72 people 50 people went out to Costa Rica for winter break.  We're also a pretty sporting class so there's a fair bit going on outside of class - and then random stuff like open mic nights etc. as well. 

Other grad students is a bit tougher.  There are other grad programs here, but we're by far the biggest cohort (close to 200 people including MPPs and PhDs) so it can be a bit tougher to break out.  There are various other grad school events, but Princeton doesn't have any other professional degree programs (JD, MBA, MD) so there's kind of a lack of non-PhD grad students around.

The academic panels we've had are ridiculous - there's something happening most afternoons.  Off the top of my head recently we've had Robert Zoellick, Tim Geithner, Adm. Mike Mullen, Antonin Scalia, Michael Spence, Daniel Kahneman, Cass Sunnstein...  Not to mention Paul Krugman, Anne Marie Slaughter etc.

Princeton the town... meh.  It'll be fine for two years, but the night life is kind of lacking.  On the plus side, NYC is really close (1hr 20mins away) and Philadelphia is only 45mins by car.  Princeton is kind of sleepy, but if you're planning on working in DC/NYC afterwards then it's not too bad a sacrifice to make.

The biggest pull for me was also career services - the number of connections WWS has in various organizations is kind of crazy, and that comes in particularly handy for internships and first jobs afterwards etc.  Our career office has a lot of great resources and it's basically their full time job to get you into a decent position once you graduate.

Hey everyone, also a current MPA here. Fenderpete and I will be helping Admissions answer questions for admits after decisions come out, but happy to do so here too and help people think about their upcoming decisions in advance! I want to second everything he said, and also add a note about Princeton the town/uni and how it relates to the academic environment and potential off-campus work.

When I was deciding between schools, I considered myself a big-city person. I like people, have enjoyed my time in DC, and thought it would be nice to be in the "real world" while at grad school. I almost went to Gtown (you can see my profile below for what schools I was looking at, etc.), before I came to Princeton's Welcome Weekend and was blown away by our Career Services department and how much alumni swore by their experiences here. Princeton is not the big-city "real world" grad school I described above, but I now truly appreciate the unique opportunity it gives you to truly concentrate on being in school without other distractions. Some of my friends at Gtown work two part-time jobs in addition to school in order to pay the bills. There is so much going on in DC and that is great, but as a result their classmates are more like people they see at school, where they cross paths and then go back out into the city for the rest of the day to do their own thing.

Princeton, with its across-the-board financial aid/stipend for everyone and small but incredibly vibrant academic environment will be a very different experience. You don't have to work part-time to make ends meet, though you can of course intern in NYC on Fridays (we don't have class then), or do distance work with an org/client either domestically or abroad (which we all actually do in our policy workshops the second year). While there's definitely not much going on in Princeton the town, that means you will usually see almost all your friends at common events organized by the Woodrow Wilson Action Committee (our student government), or the Graduate Student Government for the whole grad school. They have organized trips to Broadway with discounted tickets, apple picking, bowling, rock climbing, various parties, etc. So the school is not just a building you pass through for a class or two during the day -- it really is a community.

Just thought I would offer my $0.02 on that trade-off between bigger school in a more "happening" place with more course choices, and a smaller school that allows for more focus on your classes and a tight community. Definitely neither type is "better," so it is good to visit and see what kind of vibe works best for you.

Edited by piquant777

While we're hanging in there -- fenderpete and piquante, how is it that you have two 1st years in your cohort with the last name Bumpus?

Because they are related to Jim Bumpus, and as such considered legacy, and legacy gets always in at Ivys.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-bumpus/26/a4/b00

Edited by Tom-MPP

While we're hanging in there -- fenderpete and piquante, how is it that you have two 1st years in your cohort with the last name Bumpus?

I know, right? Just a funny coincidence! 

Because they are related to Jim Bumpus, and as such considered legacy, and legacy gets always in at Ivys.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-bumpus/26/a4/b00

Ha, ha. But seriously, I don't know of a single person here who is a WWS or even Princeton legacy (other than the SINSI scholars, who are chosen their junior year from Princeton undergrad).

Next year we're only admitting people whose first and last names are Bumpus.  Be thankful you applied this year.

Will Ph.D. decisions be released this week too? 

Looks like it. See below

This just in from WWS' official twitter account:

WWS admissions decisions WILL be available via email later this week! Friday at the latest. Hang in there!

Best of luck everyone!