Fall 2014 applicants??

Holy moly....I think we should set this dude up with the girl from the find a husband post. Can you imagine that relationship??

The crazy thing is that it wasn't a troll at all - his book is searchable and the dude uses his real name (as you can see from the graphics that eventually get posted).  I spent way too much time one night reading all the forums he's posted to (lots of science and philosophy and philosophy of science, etc.), most of which he's banned from.

The crazy thing is that it wasn't a troll at all - his book is searchable and the dude uses his real name (as you can see from the graphics that eventually get posted).  I spent way too much time one night reading all the forums he's posted to (lots of science and philosophy and philosophy of science, etc.), most of which he's banned from.

That’s crazy. I admire his self confidence. Haha. 

I just got a personal e-mail from William Hamlin at WSU stating that I was at the top of the wait list. :) more good news! He says he thinks he can offer me admission in 3-4 weeks with a 5 year teaching assistantship. Wow.

Congrats!

I just got a personal e-mail from William Hamlin at WSU stating that I was at the top of the wait list. :) more good news! He says he thinks he can offer me admission in 3-4 weeks with a 5 year teaching assistantship. Wow.

Congrats! By WSU do you mean Washington State University? A friend of mine applied there. 

15 applicants! Does that include the PhD in Creative Writing? 

Thanks! And sorry about that, that does suck. 

Yes. 15 total, sorry. I'm pretty sure that's what the department told me. They said about 8 out of the total are for the Creative Writing emphases.

Edited by gk210

You can start by reading the single most entertaining (and saddening) thread to ever hit GradCafe: 

I see that a couple of you already discovered it. Let me tell you--you’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll get angry, you’ll feel your self esteem jump.

Just really, trust me. 

LOL thanks for the recommendation.

Completely the opposite of this thread......

In total honesty: should I be giving up on UVA and Harvard if I didn't hear back today or can I drag out hope until tomorrow night? I'm a "W," so I'm hoping if they do alphabetical admits I'd know tomorrow...

In total honesty: should I be giving up on UVA and Harvard if I didn't hear back today or can I drag out hope until tomorrow night? I'm a "W," so I'm hoping if they do alphabetical admits I'd know tomorrow...

Don’t lose faith! You never know. And you already have an acceptance, so the rest are just bonuses :)

If you liked reading that thread for entertainment value, I've been a big fan of this one: 

Our good friends in philosophy had one dfindley to contend with.  It's just...kind of awesome. Happy reading.

Oh man... thank you so much for sharing that. You just made my night.

Congrats on everybody who has been accepted or are at the top of a wait list!!!!! I feel a little bit weird to hear from all of my schools starting this weekend!!!!! 8 rejections maybe.... There is still slim hope that Harvard accept me right? Hahaha

If any of you have applied for the M.A. program at the University of Vermont, you can expect to hear back from the department on Monday. I had mailed the DGS regarding my application and got a response saying that they are finishing up the review this week and would be notifying everyone by Monday.

Unfortunately, I think if you didn't get an email yesterday from Harvard, it doesn't look promising. It appears they sent out a mass form email. I know someone pointed out that they notified over multiple days a couple years ago. But if you look closely, you'll see that the one person got a personal email from a POI days before, followed by what appears to be a mass acceptance email. The one person who posted a day later probably just posted on Gradcafe a day late. Hopefully I'm wrong. They do usually have a waitlist, but those won't be received until the end of the month because they notify via mail (which others seem to appreciate, but it just annoys me). Good luck to everyone!

I have to say, Harvard seems slightly rude. A mass email for acceptances? Really? They only accept at most 8 people probably. Is it that hard to personalize it? Or call people? Plenty of other schools managed to do it. 

I have to say, Harvard seems slightly rude. A mass email for acceptances? Really? They only accept at most 8 people probably. Is it that hard to personalize it? Or call people? Plenty of other schools managed to do it.

I would agree. But Brown admits received mass acceptance from the graduate school, not even from the department. To be honest, I've been really put off by the entire process of applying for graduate school. I mean, is it really that hard to notify everyone at once? The entire grad school process is very opaque, sometimes I feel like I'm applying to some secret society...

I would much rather have them say on February 22nd, everyone will know then have it be all randomly done. UVA, for example, sends out rejections, acceptances, and wait lists at random. Some people were rejected a month ago, some will be soon. For acceptances, some got them now, but last year, some got them in March that were not off the wait list. It is so weird.

I would agree. But Brown admits received mass acceptance from the graduate school, not even from the department. To be honest, I've been really put off by the entire process of applying for graduate school. I mean, is it really that hard to notify everyone at once? The entire grad school process is very opaque, sometimes I feel like I'm applying to some secret society...

Actually, at least in my case, the English department at Brown got in touch pretty soon after I'd received the letter from the grad school, and seemed to be under the impression that they were breaking the news to me. So I think the notification was maybe actually meant to come from the department. There's been a lot of contact from the department since too, so it's actually all felt pretty personalized, template acceptance letter notwithstanding

Actually, at least in my case, the English department at Brown got in touch pretty soon after I'd received the letter from the grad school, and seemed to be under the impression that they were breaking the news to me. So I think the notification was maybe actually meant to come from the department. There's been a lot of contact from the department since too, so it's actually all felt pretty personalized, template acceptance letter notwithstanding

Seconded.