Fall 2014 applicants??

On 4/22/2013 at 7:53 AM, MissHavishslam said:

Here is my tentative/pretty sure this may be final list of programs that I will probably be applying to:

1. Indiana University
  2. University of Notre Dame
  3. Johns Hopkins University
  4. Washington University at St. Louis
  5. University of Victoria
  6. University of Toronto
  7. Bath Spa University
  8. University of Colorado
  9.  University of Minnesota
  10. University of Nebraska
  11. University of Vermont
  12. University of Nebraska--Lincoln
  13. Purdue University
  14. University of Kansas
  15. University of Missouri
  16. Duquesne University

Just curious: why so many public schools? I would consider more private schools since, on average, the funding is stronger....

I'd suggest looking less at whether or not the school is public or private and more at individual program funding history. Averages really mean nothing here. I highly doubt applying to more public or more private schools will increase your likelihood of obtaining funding if (surprise, surprise) you're not applying to programs that have strong histories of funding students. 

Edited by Gwendolyn

I'd suggest looking less at whether or not the school is public or private and more at individual program funding history. Averages really mean nothing here. I highly doubt applying to more public or more private schools will increase your likelihood of obtaining funding if (surprise, surprise) you're not applying to programs that have strong histories of funding students. 

Indeed. I was actually surprised that funding didn't really correspond with general rankings. But honestly, there are so many dozens of programs that fully fund all students that I don't really see any point in applying to schools where funding is uncertain or inadequate. I was surprised by how many people seemed to have offers that came with no funding this last season.

I agree with your point. It's certainly the funding itself, not private or public, that matters. What I was getting at was that a lot of the schools on that list have so-so funding compared to other schools that might not be any harder to get into, and that many of those just happen to be private. For example, USC only received around 80 applications this year and yet they fund at the $20-$23,000 level (or $30,000 with provost fellowship) with two years of fellowship and light teaching for the rest.

You might come up with an example of a public U with that few applicants and that much funding, but then again you might not.

Want to clarify that I don't mean to sound combative--just trying to share a little insight that it took me quite awhile to notice during my own research.

Edited by Taco Superior

Indeed. I was actually surprised that funding didn't really correspond with general rankings. But honestly, there are so many dozens of programs that fully fund all students that I don't really see any point in applying to schools where funding is uncertain or inadequate. I was surprised by how many people seemed to have offers that came with no funding this last season.

I agree with this... to a certain extent.  I think that it's worth giving some of these places the benefit of the doubt.  Their funding might not look like much at first glance, but what they offer you might be higher than what they quote and/or you might be able to talk them up once you've offers.  I will say, though, that part of my decision on where to go next year was based on my desire to not go into debt over this, and that I will be attending a private institution.  

Just curious: why so many public schools? I would consider more private schools since, on average, the funding is stronger....

I agree with your point. It's certainly the funding itself, not private or public, that matters. What I was getting at was that a lot of the schools on that list have so-so funding compared to other schools that might not be any harder to get into, and that many of those just happen to be private. For example, USC only received around 80 applications this year and yet they fund at the $20-$23,000 level (or $30,000 with provost fellowship) with two years of fellowship and light teaching for the rest.

:blink: Perhaps this is what you meant, but this surely does not accurately coincide with your previous sentiment. 

At any rate, the fact that USC received ~80 applications does not mean the application process is more or less competitive than others. How many students enter the program annually? How many people are accepted off of the waitlist? How competitive are each of the applicants? Where do you stand; how competitive are you as an applicant? Is there an interview process? If so, how difficult is it? Again, averages are of little help and I'd go as far as to suggest your "own research" is most probably biased toward your academic abilities and your interests.  It's simply far more useful to explore programs on an individual basis. 

I agree with this... to a certain extent.  I think that it's worth giving some of these places the benefit of the doubt.  Their funding might not look like much at first glance, but what they offer you might be higher than what they quote and/or you might be able to talk them up once you've offers.  I will say, though, that part of my decision on where to go next year was based on my desire to not go into debt over this, and that I will be attending a private institution.  

I'm of the opinion that as long as the stipend is big enough for cost of living, it's acceptable. What' I'm talking about is schools that accept more than they can fund (I think someone said previously that their school matriculates almost twice the number they can fund??) or that don't even attempt to give enough funding to their students. I take that kind of thing very seriously because in this market, I think it's irresponsible at best and mercenary at worst.  When I think of programs that require 2/2 teaching load for under 13k, I have a hard time feeling generous toward them. If they can't afford to pay their PhDs for the work they do, then they really shouldn't have PhDs.

(I think someone said previously that their school matriculates almost twice the number they can fund??)

Yikes! I hope not. I remember people saying programs do accept twice the number of the people they can fund (which, in itself, is pretty irresponsible), but that's with the general caveat that they only expect for half of those acceptances to eventually matriculate.

Yikes! I hope not. I remember people saying programs do accept twice the number of the people they can fund (which, in itself, is pretty irresponsible), but that's with the general caveat that they only expect for half of those acceptances to eventually matriculate.

Nope, I meant matriculate. It was someone who hadn't gotten first year funding and they said that the school enrolls almost twice the amount that they fund. Complete insanity.

I just think programs like that should be ashamed of themselves. Hopefully the funding spreadsheet is helpful to you guys for stuff like this though! A surprising number of schools don't really outline the funding situation on their websites.

Wow. That is pretty deplorable. I will definitely be paying more attention to funding availability as I narrow down my applications. I was always under the impression that programs that offered unfunded Ph.D.'s were a huge joke. It seems a little like self-immolation to do that if you consider yourself a legitimate academic research institution. 

I'm glad someone wrote this, because I actually won't be applying until it's time for Fall 2016 applications, but I would have felt silly making the "Fall 2016 Applicants" thread...even though it is honest, and I wouldn't mind conversing with others whose projected application cycles are way out there like mine. How many others are gearing up for application cycles for '15 or '16 (or beyond)?

I definitely won't be ready to apply this Fall, so I'm at least a '15-er. My project for this upcoming year is to confront all the flaws in my future application, take more classes in the field I wanna move toward, rebuild and build relationships with professors, et cetera. Taking it slowly so as not to destroy myself! And so I can aim a little bit higher than I might otherwise.

Hey all! I'm prepping for the Fall 2014 cycle this year! My interests are in print culture, book design, and the marketplace. The only thing that I am having trouble with is finding programs that will be a good fit. There are few people who have done a cultural analysis of book design and they all tend to work in communication and art history programs. Can anyone recommend any programs for me to look into?

Hey all! I'm prepping for the Fall 2014 cycle this year! My interests are in print culture, book design, and the marketplace. The only thing that I am having trouble with is finding programs that will be a good fit. There are few people who have done a cultural analysis of book design and they all tend to work in communication and art history programs. Can anyone recommend any programs for me to look into?

What period? Those interests are quite broad; if you could narrow them down a bit, I might be able to toss some recommendations your way. Off the top of my head (though these would depend on what era or region you want to study): UVa, UT Austin. Northwestern if you're doing early modern or late Medieval stuff.

On 4/23/2013 at 10:47 PM, Winter Sorbeck said:

You should look at WashU and UIowa. I think Joe Loewenstein and Steven Zwicker (and maybe others) could address your book culture/print culture/digital humanties issues at Washington University in St. Louis, and I know Garrett Stewart has worked in related areas at Iowa. 

What period? Those interests are quite broad; if you could narrow them down a bit, I might be able to toss some recommendations your way. Off the top of my head (though these would depend on what era or region you want to study): UVa, UT Austin. Northwestern if you're doing early modern or late Medieval stuff.

My period is 20th/21st American. I'm planning on applying to around 20 schools (since this will be my third round of applications) and I want to apply to schools across the rankings board. I know this has been a point of debate on here but I really do want to make sure that I have all my bases covered. One of my professors told me to look at programs that have strong faculty in American lit and then market myself as an Americanist with a narrowed focus in book design and consumer culture (a lot of work that I have done has been with book covers and their representations of the novel). I guess I wavering between traditional English programs and American Studies programs.

It wasn't really a decision about public vs private for me. I actually just looked at ASLE's list of good ecocritical grad programs and narrowed it down as well as taking advice from the fine people on this site!

Where can one find a good SOP sample for literature? I've googled some, but they are mostly in history, sociology, etc.

I have the same question. This one's for history, but I like how they break it down and address every aspect of what makes it ideal in a way that (I think) would apply to all fields: http://ls.berkeley.edu/files/statement_of_purpose.pdf

I was wondering, does anyone here know about a good graduae program that integrates death studies as well? Or would that be closer to anthropology than to literature?

Hey--

Thought I'd contribute to the discussion by including my list of prospective schools. 

-University of Wisconsin-Madison
-University of Chicago
-University of Maryland-College Park
-Northwestern University
-UCLA
-Duke
-University of Washington
-BU
-Boston College
-Georgetown University (MA)
-American University at Washington D.C. (MA)
-CUNY

Edited by Ozymandias Melancholia

I have the same question. This one's for history, but I like how they break it down and address every aspect of what makes it ideal in a way that (I think) would apply to all fields: http://ls.berkeley.edu/files/statement_of_purpose.pdf

Thank you so much! Yeah, that was a good SOP, and the writer's topic and interests were well explained. I hope I can write something that can be comparable to this.

Hey--

Thought I'd contribute to the discussion by including my list of prospective schools. 

-University of Wisconsin-Madison

-University of Chicago

-University of Maryland-College Park

-Northwestern University

-UCLA

-Duke

-University of Washington

-BU

-Boston College

-Georgetown University (MA)

-American University at Washington D.C. (MA)

-CUNY

UDub's English lit site has made it a bit difficult to browse faculty profiles lately. Do you know anyone there who can advice on 19th century British literature?

I'm a Victorianist who writes mostly about gender, travel, and modernity in the Victorian novel (still broad I know). I change my list almost every week, but so far, I am thinking of applying to these schools:

1. New York University

2. University of Minnesota

3. University of Iowa

4. Ohio State University

5. Colorado-Boulder

6. University of Florida

7. Miami University

8. Boston College

9. University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee (might submit something on video game fan cultures, slippery notions of the "author" and textual production)

10. University of Nebraska--Lincoln

11. Case Western Reserve University

12. University of Washington (maybe. my mum wants me to apply here)

13.University of Alberta (suposed to be one of my top choices, but I'm not so sure about funding now)

14. York

15. Washington University in St. Louis

Not in order of preference. My grades aren't exactly stellar, and the GRE subject test isn't offered in my country, so my options are a bit limited.

The number of applications that I will send will probably depend on how many I finish, since I have a heavy teaching load from June to November (five subjects with forty students I'm told. I'm grateful, but I'm also a little worried.). 

Let me know what you guys think (especially if you know some departments that do not require the subject test with great Victorian lit programs). I will still trim or expand this list in the coming months.