Fall 2014 applicants??

UDub's English lit site has made it a bit difficult to browse faculty profiles lately. Do you know anyone there who can advice on 19th century British literature?

Their website is admittedly difficult to navigate. But to answer your question - check out Raimonda Modiano, whose scholarship is great, and Gary Handwerk. It appears that many of those whom specialize in 19th century British literature  also conduct active research in other fields, so it might be hard to assess if those scholars still focus on Romanticism or Victorian studies. That's my general impression at least, given the information available. 

My husband and I both applied to Nebraska in 19th century. he got in, I was rejected. They can only take 2 lit people a year, if that gives you some perspective. They  told him that they had to fight creative writing people for his spot. I'm not saying don't apply--they seem to have some wonderful resources--just FYI.

Their website is admittedly difficult to navigate. But to answer your question - check out Raimonda Modiano, whose scholarship is great, and Gary Handwerk. It appears that many of those whom specialize in 19th century British literature  also conduct active research in other fields, so it might be hard to assess if those scholars still focus on Romanticism or Victorian studies. That's my general impression at least, given the information available. 

Thanks. Read their profiles. It is useful. Maybe they focus more on the long 19th century.

My husband and I both applied to Nebraska in 19th century. he got in, I was rejected. They can only take 2 lit people a year, if that gives you some perspective. They  told him that they had to fight creative writing people for his spot. I'm not saying don't apply--they seem to have some wonderful resources--just FYI.

Thanks for this info. At least that will help me in prioritising applications

• 2 weeks later...

literary_tourist, UVa has a thriving Brit lit program (ranked #2 in in that subgroup on USNWR, for what it's worth) as does Indiana-Bloomington, which is particularly known for its Victorianists and gender studies. 

Ed.: Also, if you're looking to work on travel literature or just the theme of travel more broadly, I would suggest looking into departments that have some professors doing transnational or post-colonial work. 

literary_tourist, UVa has a thriving Brit lit program (ranked #2 in in that subgroup on USNWR, for what it's worth) as does Indiana-Bloomington, which is particularly known for its Victorianists and gender studies. 

Ed.: Also, if you're looking to work on travel literature or just the theme of travel more broadly, I would suggest looking into departments that have some professors doing transnational or post-colonial work. 

Thanks for the advice. I want to apply to those departments, but those programs require the subject test. The subject test is not available here in the Philippines, where I am currently teaching. Although, I really really wanted to include those in my list.

Great idea about seeking people with postcolonial work. I was thinking more about ideas concerning various modes of travel in the 19th century lit (since that particular century involves a lot of movement--migrations and the invention of the train, the steamship, etc) and look at how those might have affected ideas about modernity. I've written mostly on Dickens, Gaskell and Eliot, and I am a little rusty on postcolonial theory. It might really help.

Thanks for the advice. I want to apply to those departments, but those programs require the subject test. The subject test is not available here in the Philippines, where I am currently teaching. Although, I really really wanted to include those in my list.

Great idea about seeking people with postcolonial work. I was thinking more about ideas concerning various modes of travel in the 19th century lit (since that particular century involves a lot of movement--migrations and the invention of the train, the steamship, etc) and look at how those might have affected ideas about modernity. I've written mostly on Dickens, Gaskell and Eliot, and I am a little rusty on postcolonial theory. It might really help.

I wonder if you could email the DGS and ask for a waiver on the subject test requirement, since you can't get it in your country? I don't think they would want to disqualify you just on the basis of that, since it's not your fault you can't take it.

I think Fayre's advice is sound. 

But as some anecdotal advice: a friend applied to the PhD program at UVa a few years ago without taking or submitting subject test scores. The department told them that they could submit the scores if they were offered admission -- which means for you that you could potentially take the test once you get to the US and begin the program -- although even after enrolling and completing their degree, they never bothered to take the test or submit the scores and was never offered any grief about it.

I'll bet that if you emailed the DGS or department secretary, they'll be willing to work with you so that you can still apply.

I think Fayre's advice is sound. 

But as some anecdotal advice: a friend applied to the PhD program at UVa a few years ago without taking or submitting subject test scores. The department told them that they could submit the scores if they were offered admission -- which means for you that you could potentially take the test once you get to the US and begin the program -- although even after enrolling and completing their degree, they never bothered to take the test or submit the scores and was never offered any grief about it.

I'll bet that if you emailed the DGS or department secretary, they'll be willing to work with you so that you can still apply.

I wonder if you could email the DGS and ask for a waiver on the subject test requirement, since you can't get it in your country? I don't think they would want to disqualify you just on the basis of that, since it's not your fault you can't take it.

OMG! thanks for that info. i thought all depts are super strict about requirements, and I'm happy to know that I am wrong. I'll email those schools as well as Rutgers. 

Hello all! I initially planned on applying for fall 2013 admissions, but my brain was unable to handle an admissions cycle and the final year of coursework for my masters degree without a complete and total meltdown. So, I logged off of this site for nearly a year and just focused on school. Thankfully, that mental break forced me to reevaluate my initial school selections and figure out which schools were actually a good fit. It also gave me a chance to map out a workable schedule and timeline for the 2014 admissions cycle. I'm planning on applying to 5-7 programs in the New England area. I thought I would want to move back to Austin if I were fortunate enough to get accepted to my alma mater UT (those of you from previous cycles may have seen my posts defending UT and the state of Texas to no end :) ) but my time in Boston has definitely convinced me to put down roots here. I think it is definitely time for new experiences and branching out beyond my hometown is the best way to do so. Hopefully, the 2014 admissions cycle will prove to be fruitful!

Hello all,

Just adding my name, officially as of yesterday, to the 2014 applicants list.  I'm exhausted and broke and unemployed, but can't imagine myself doing anything but a PHD, so I figure that will be enough to get me through this crap-shoot again.  Third time's the charm...

I've got a tentative list of schools, but would love advice/suggestions.  Interests are a bit scattered, but I am primarily a medievalist with interests in book history and its material culture/codicology, as well as in literary nationalism, particularly with the Welsh (which sends me traveling into the 18th C)..

1. University of Rochester.

2. University of Oregon.

3. University of Missouri.

4. Washington University in St. Louis.

5. North Western.

6. University of Iowa*.

7. Purdue. **

8. UT Austin.

9. U Penn.

10. University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

*Iowa has fantastic book history resources, but a disappointing lack of faculty in any of my related fields. Going to a place with a CENTER for book studies would be amazing, but I seem to be a crap fit with the faculty.

**I have applied to Purdue 3 times already, with no success. Wondering if it's time to call them a no and move my love and application fee elsewhere.

I would love and adore suggestions.  Suggestions of places to omit would be fine too.  Currently the top choice and recently-rejected love of my life is Rochester, but I am willing to look anywhere at this point.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks!

Katia:

The University of Delaware has a large strength in print and material culture (if I'm not mistaken, you may be able to get a graduate certificate in it) and they have a Center for Material Culture Studies.  They're one of those schools that rarely take external M.A.s (you may have to indicate that you'd be willing to take an M.A. before proceeding to the Ph.D.), but they fund all their M.A.s with a pretty good stipend.  They could definitely be worth a look.

I unfortunately already have an M.A,  And if I were to get a second one, I'd probably do it in history or some other field.

But maybe I'll get in touch with them anyway and see what I can figure out.  Thanks for the tip. :)

**I have applied to Purdue 3 times already, with no success. Wondering if it's time to call them a no and move my love and application fee elsewhere.

My POI at a UC (who lobbied for me to be admitted) told me that if his dept chair hadn't let me in 2 years in a row then "it's not happening." I take this to mean that applying more than twice is a waste of time generally (though perhaps not always--I'm sure someone out there has a contrary story).

Picking classes for my last fall quarter, so stressful. The classes I need for my two separate majors are invariably at the same times so I'll probably have to switch one of them to a minor. :/ Does anyone know how detrimental that might be? I'm applying for Comp Lit... would it really hurt me to have a major/minor in French and Classics rather than a double major? Something tells me the difference is kind of minute but still...

I don't know anything about that, but it doesn't sound like a huge deal to me. This fall is my last full semester of classes for my Master's, but I'll probably take one class in the spring while I'm working on my thesis.

Picking classes for my last fall quarter, so stressful. The classes I need for my two separate majors are invariably at the same times so I'll probably have to switch one of them to a minor. :/ Does anyone know how detrimental that might be? I'm applying for Comp Lit... would it really hurt me to have a major/minor in French and Classics rather than a double major? Something tells me the difference is kind of minute but still...

Nope. As long as you have the languages down you'll be fine. 

Welp. I checked my subject test scores from April, and I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted to do. They aren't bad, I suppose, but more importantly, it will definitely make it harder for me to even have my writing sample read by a lot of AdComms. 

I know I shouldn't let this affect me, but I'm feeling pretty inadequate right now. Does anybody have liquor?

Edited by champagne

Welp. I checked my subject test scores from April, and I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted to do. They aren't bad, I suppose, but more importantly, it will definitely make it harder for me to even have my writing sample read by a lot of AdComms. 

I know I shouldn't let this affect me, but I'm feeling pretty inadequate right now. Does anybody have liquor?

I'm experiencing something similar as well. I didn't do as well as I had hoped, though my percentile isn't exactly bad either.

Right now I'm trying to measure the worth of re-taking the exam later in the year. Even though I'm fairly confident that I could raise my score by at least 30 points to meet a "great" score, that time could probably be better spent re-drafting my SOP or revising my WS. Plus, I still need to re-take the General exam. 

In short, blah. 

Edited by Ozymandias Melancholia

Right now I'm trying to measure the worth of re-taking the exam later in the year. Even though I'm fairly confident that I could raise my score by at least 30 points to meet a "great" score, that time could probably be better spent re-drafting my SOP or revising my WS. Plus, I still need to re-take the General exam. 

Yeah, unless I get really direct advice--i.e. someone with AdComm experience--to retake the exam, I'm not bothering with it. Most of the Ph.D. programs I'm looking into don't require it; I believe they have good reason.

It is making me reassess how I'm applying in the fall. I know everyone doesn't have this luxury, but I think I'm going to be much more proactive about looking into terminal and funded MA programs.

It just sucks to know that I couldn't score better than 25% of the people that took the exact same test as me.

• 2 weeks later...

So how far along are you guys with your applications right now? 

Ha! Good one.

In all seriousness, I'm getting together research for a new writing sample mostly. I'm hoping to get that done before the fall and then use the fall to type up my SOP. 

I'm getting together research for a new writing sample mostly. 

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but must the writing sample be a piece written for an undergrad class? Or can it be something done solely for admissions purposes post graduation?