Fall 2014 applicants??

Hey guys!

Okay, so I'm freaking out just a little bit. I'm done with almost all of my applications, but there is one aspect of my apps that I'm a little worried about. When I was in high school, I took a class at my local community college to earn an English credit; it was an online class, and I was 15 years old. Needless to say, I lost track of deadlines, missed one, and failed the class. This is still listed on the transcript for that community college, and I am worried that a failed English class will absolutely ruin my chances. However, my advising prof has told me multiple times not to worry - my current overall GPA is 3.94 at a huge state university, and my major GPA is a 4.0. Can I get an idea of whether or not I should worry about it at all?

Thanks, I seriously appreciate it. 

Hi,

Does anyone else worry that their GRE scores might not have arrived at the schools, or got sent to the wrong department?... I don't really want to email the programs unless I have to, but does anyone else ever get the urge to ask whether GRE scores and transcripts arrived safely?

Feel free to report me to Procrastinators Anonymous about this, but will it be a problem that I submitted my application at 12:08 am when the deadline was (supposedly) 11:59 pm yesterday? I say supposedly because the school did not specify the exact time or time zone other than December 2, and the school is on the west coast.

Um, I'd like to thank the one university I took a mere 6 credits at for being the one place that's f'd up sending out my transcripts. 

:angry:

There are schools that want real transcripts? Seems like a pain all of mine just want unofficial ones

Hey guys!

Okay, so I'm freaking out just a little bit. I'm done with almost all of my applications, but there is one aspect of my apps that I'm a little worried about. When I was in high school, I took a class at my local community college to earn an English credit; it was an online class, and I was 15 years old. Needless to say, I lost track of deadlines, missed one, and failed the class. This is still listed on the transcript for that community college, and I am worried that a failed English class will absolutely ruin my chances. However, my advising prof has told me multiple times not to worry - my current overall GPA is 3.94 at a huge state university, and my major GPA is a 4.0. Can I get an idea of whether or not I should worry about it at all?

It's probably not a big deal in the context of the rest of your application

Hey guys!

I can't imagine this will be a problem. We all did stupid shit as a 15 year old! I'd be shocked if they were all that concerned about an online class you took during your high school years. I think your advising is absolutely right. 

Hi,

Does anyone else worry that their GRE scores might not have arrived at the schools, or got sent to the wrong department?... I don't really want to email the programs unless I have to, but does anyone else ever get the urge to ask whether GRE scores and transcripts arrived safely?

It doesn't hurt to ask. A couple of folks last year were very grateful that they did. You can simply shoot the administrative assistant for the grad department an email: "I wanted to double-check that you received my GRE scores [and any other supplemental materials sent by postal service.] When you have a chance, please confirm that my application is complete. Thank you!" However, most of my applications had a status page where I could see which materials they had received, so check that before emailing anyone. 

Feel free to report me to Procrastinators Anonymous about this, but will it be a problem that I submitted my application at 12:08 am when the deadline was (supposedly) 11:59 pm yesterday? I say supposedly because the school did not specify the exact time or time zone other than December 2, and the school is on the west coast.

I can't imagine nine minutes late would be a problem. I doubt anyone was up last night, automatically deleting applications that came in after 11:59PM PST! After all, we West Coastians like our sleep. But you can always call the department today to ask! 

Deep breaths! You're nearing the finish line! YOU GOT THIS!

Ive been told they don't even read the writing sample at the first round anyway, and then once you make the cuts, they will take a closer look at it, but are mostly looking for "promise." My letter writers have profusely told me not to pay attention to any of those limits....well within reason. If they ask for 15 and you send 6 youre in trouble. But I skewed from those limits too. One of my letter writers is actually buddy buddy with a professor whose work im interested in at one of the schools I applied to. They want a 10 page writing sample. I sent a 19 pager. My letter writer spoke to his buddy in the department about it and was told it is not even close to being an issue.

Um....I don't see the correlation between the writing sample being one of the most important parts of the application and the department not looking at it.

Yeah, I also imagined the writing sample to be a very important part of the application. Although maybe what Fitz meant was that it's not paid very close attention during the first "weed out" round?

Emory just sent (i'm guessing everyone) an email telling them to not ask about GRE scores as they are overwhelmed with such questions. They were very curt and I didn't even ask...! 

Oh no... I just sent an e-mail to Emory last night asking if my GRE scores were reported.

Why didn't I get that e-mail? hmm..

Yeah, I also imagined the writing sample to be a very important part of the application. Although maybe what Fitz meant was that it's not paid very close attention during the first "weed out" round?

Exactly. Im only speaking on one particular program becuz i have inside juice so to speak, but this is just common sense. Schools get what? 400-500 apps wif 20 page writing samples? They aint reading that. The writing sample is only going to get read if they take an interest in you. It might be SKIMMED, but its not gonna be read until the later rounds. And at that point, 3 pages of fluff just to make 15 page bar might do more harm than good.

Exactly. Im only speaking on one particular program becuz i have inside juice so to speak, but this is just common sense. Schools get what? 400-500 apps wif 20 page writing samples? They aint reading that. The writing sample is only going to get read if they take an interest in you. It might be SKIMMED, but its not gonna be read until the later rounds. And at that point, 3 pages of fluff just to make 15 page bar might do more harm than good.

This resonates with how my adviser described the vetting process at my undergraduate institution as well. The writing sample is really only seriously considered after the applicant has been cleared of the first round.

I think reading http://philosophy.uchicago.edu/prospective/admissions.html will help those of who you wonder about the "process." It is for a specific discipline, but it is part of the humanities and, as such, likely has much in common with admissions procedures at most departments. 

The sole thing that is killing me right now is wondering about the "worrisome warning sign" of my quantitative score.  I somehow could not manage any better than an extremely (and I mean, extremely) pathetic score.  I feel it might infer that my brain is partially broken.  I want to cry.

Edited by repentwalpurgis

Damn man....I feel for you. I'd contact the graduate assistant. Im applying to and have been in contact with him. He seems like a nice guy, vey helpful. See if he can help you before the committee sees that.

If GRE is not required, how do you think they decide who deserves to get to the second round?

I'm not entirely certain, but I found this paper on "Kisses of Death" in the application process. It's for psychology applicants, but I reckon that many of the "kisses" are true across disciplines. 

http://psychology.unl.edu/psichi/Graduate_School_Application_Kisses_of_Death.pdf

Damn man....I feel for you. I'd contact the graduate assistant. Im applying to and have been in contact with him. He seems like a nice guy, vey helpful. See if he can help you before the committee sees that.

The person I've been speaking to is the grad director.. you don't have the contact info for the guy you've been speaking to, do you?

Edited by paytonlauren