Fall 2014 applicants??

It has been my experience that there are varying degrees of flexibility regarding LOR deadlines.  Princeton gives recommenders two weeks beyond the December 15th application deadline to get letters in.  UChicago stated very emphatically (on their website) that for an application to be considered "on time" all supplementary materials (including LORs) would have to be submitted by December 10th.  I would say, check the program websites or contact the graduate studies departments.

Wait what? I thought UChicago was Dec. 15. That's what it said on the MAPH program website...

I might actually get pretty good at this whole "filling out applications" thing by the time this is all over.

This part has been pretty insufferable. When I was working on my sample and SOP, I felt purposeful and had fun because I was doing something I enjoyed. The tedious process of actually filling out the damn things is miserable, though.

It took me at least two hours to fill in, double check, reformat/rename files, and correctly upload everything to each application form. I submitted 10 applications in 8 days, so the amount of hours I spent on mind-numbing administrivia that could play a role in deciding my future in such a short time was both exhausting and overwhelming.

Just in case you all need a little levity in your lives right now:

4 Copy Editors Killed In Ongoing AP Style, Chicago Manual Gang Violence

http://www.theonion.com/articles/4-copy-editors-killed-in-ongoing-ap-style-chicago,30806/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview%3ANA%3AInFocus

#teamoxford.

Can we start a new thread on coping strategies? 

What do I do when my top choice rejects me?

What do I do when my top choice accepts me?

Re: 1: Vomit and/or leak eye-juice all over everything, then buy cake.

Re: 2: Vomit and/or leak eye-juice all over everything, then buy cake.

#notthatidknow #hearditfromafriend 

No, but seriously: Best of luck to all of you!

Edited by pinkrobot

It has been my experience that there are varying degrees of flexibility regarding LOR deadlines.  Princeton gives recommenders two weeks beyond the December 15th application deadline to get letters in.  UChicago stated very emphatically (on their website) that for an application to be considered "on time" all supplementary materials (including LORs) would have to be submitted by December 10th.  I would say, check the program websites or contact the graduate studies departments.

Go beyond JUST checking the program websites.  It doesn't matter if they "emphatically state" on the website.  Always, always contact the department.  This saved me a wealth of grief last week.

Can I tell from my ETS toefl account if my score report has been delivered? My application doesn't show that and I'm curious to know if the school has received it !!!

All the gre web site says is whether scores have been sent. A lot of my applications say incomplete because of no test scores but I guess that's normal?

I also didn't realizes some of the schools that wanted a scanned unofficial transcript also want me to send them a legit one as well. I thought I was done spending money on this nooooo!

Anyone else applying to Georgetown's MA program? Their writing sample requirement is 8-10, which is shorter than all my other applications require. So I called the department to see if I could send a longer sample, and they told me that you can, but they can't guarantee that the committee will read past the 10th page.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it's likely that they'll really just stop reading? Obviously I know I could cut it down (and may attempt to), but I'm not sure I could take out that much without really compromising my argument.

i was also wondering what you guys were considering doing if we don't get in anywhere... coz thats a legitimate concern lol 

If nothing works out, I'll be living with my parents. And that will suck a lot. 

Also, are any of you people aware if grad schools test for weed? 

Anyone else applying to Georgetown's MA program? Their writing sample requirement is 8-10, which is shorter than all my other applications require. So I called the department to see if I could send a longer sample, and they told me that you can, but they can't guarantee that the committee will read past the 10th page.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it's likely that they'll really just stop reading? Obviously I know I could cut it down (and may attempt to), but I'm not sure I could take out that much without really compromising my argument.

For terminal M.A. programs, especially, they are looking for your concrete, explicit writing skills, which they will probably be able to gather from not just the first ten pages but from the first five. Obviously, having a great 8-10 page sample with a succinct and proven argument that exhibits the knowledge of your subfield would be ideal, but I doubt having more than this (rather ludicrous, if you ask me) page limit will damage you. If they wanted a publishable, graduate-level piece, then they would've expanded it to 15 pages or so. 

FWIW, I've asked professors about this seemingly anomalous page limit that pops up in applications every now and then, and they told me not to worry about it or cut my sample down.

For one school, I changed the spacing of my writing sample to 1.15 and submitted it. I don't think its a big deal. If anything, it might make your paper stand out and get noticed. And if it is truly any good, I think the committee might be willing to overlook the formatting error. 

i was also wondering what you guys were considering doing if we don't get in anywhere... coz thats a legitimate concern lol 

I feel you. 

My partner is also applying to graduate schools right now. If I don't get in anywhere, I'd probably end up trying to get a job in the city where he decides to attend.

I literally cannot bring myself to buy anything (as in, clothes, or a laptop, even though mine is more than halfway dead) because I keep thinking about how I will have no job/prospects if i don't make it to grad school. ugh. this is awful. how on earth are we supposed to just wait for two months?

So, how are you all managing stress over applications? I have been a nervous wreck, and I can tell it's already starting to affect my sleeping patterns and making it difficult to focus on ... you know ... the rest of my life.

I've been having to take melatonin pills just to force myself to sleep at night. I haven't had a good night's sleep in forever because all I have are nightmares about rejection letters or just thoughts that keep me up all night. People have told me to try meditation but nah...my thoughts start wandering elsewhere then I start freaking out again. 

You guys, I say this with love-- chill out. I know it's easier said than done. But you need to relax. You've got months ahead of you, and the decisions are out of your hands. (Especially considering that, given the reality of the English academic job market, not getting in may very well leave you in better shape than getting in.)