Fall 2014 applicants??

You know what's annoying? When you check your app to see if they finally received everything and you click on "view your application." And then the first word is "Congratulations!" You get excited and are "Is this real life?!" and then you read on and they're just congratulating you that you submitted your application. :|

Exactly what happened to me when applying to UC Davis. Congratulations e-mails for submitting the app, and another one for completing the app ... very annoying! 

I've been intentionally absent from the GC since September, but I'm throwing my lot in and wishing everyone the best of luck now that notifications are starting to come in. I've agonized over this process for the better part of a year and I'm relieved to be able to say all of my apps are done. I'm not terribly confident in my chances, but I've learned a great deal for next year's round of apps. 

Now I'm going to go check the results board for the millionth time today...

I've purposely stayed away, too, though not since as far back as September -- more like early December.  I check in and glance around, but not daily.  I just can't let myself be too obsessed with all of this, though I do think of it plenty just in daily life.  After this post, I hope to just stay away from GC for at least another ten days and then see what's up.  It's mostly too early to hear anything.  I think the vast majority of notifications will be mid-Feb and later, unless you're a super star who's getting the really early acceptance and fellowship nominations. 

I so don't know what to expect.  I have gotten such mixed predictions from advisors and friends.  I've gotten as mixed as "you're not likely to get in anywhere and if you do, you'll be damn lucky" to "you're getting into four or five, easy" (and this from a person on an admissions committee at a university, though not English, who claims she knows the process and what characteristics of candidates get in) to "you'll get into at least one.  I doubt 'several', but I'm confident you'll get into at least one to two." 

I'm dying to know which of these people is right.  I'm well aware I could get into none.  I'm tired of the not knowing.   I can deal with it if I get into none; I just want to know so I can really think about what my future plans are.

I'm so glad that I'll know within the next month and a half.  It's been such a long process.  I've been thinking about Ph.D. applications since March of 2013, though I didn't decide to do English until August 2013. 

Edited by purpleperson

I've been told the same mixture -- though everyone was too nice to tell me that I wouldn't get any acceptances, but they said the "at least one" bit. I guess I'm really only checking the boards because Ohio State started notifying (and I'm well aware that because I haven't gotten one I'm not a first round pick), but I'm really just looking for the rejection to come through lol

I've been told the same mixture -- though everyone was too nice to tell me that I wouldn't get any acceptances, but they said the "at least one" bit. I guess I'm really only checking the boards because Ohio State started notifying (and I'm well aware that because I haven't gotten one I'm not a first round pick), but I'm really just looking for the rejection to come through lol

I applied at Ohio State, too, and I too was inclined to check my application status yesterday after hearing on this board that a couple acceptances have happened.  My status said "your application is in review." 

Ohio State is kind of a long shot for me even as a second or third round pick, honestly, but yeah, I'm totally checking too, having seen the couple of acceptances.

This is my first go at the Ph.D. thing.  I can see how, based on previous years' threads, the "depression" and "low morale" starts to set in for people seeing early acceptances to schools at which they've applied.  The whole "implied rejection" thing.   So far, for me, I've only heard Ohio State, and it's sooooo early, and there's no need to get depressed at this point at all, but I'm still already thinking....fuuuuuck...there's no way....I hate you people who got accepted (just kidding, of course.)  Honestly, I think it's cool for everybody who gets accepted.  It's gonna be happy times for a lot of people....

My prophetic professor claims: You'll get in somewhere and they'll be lucky to have you.

Yes, for those applicants who at least got one acceptance and still waiting to hear from other schools, waiting tends to be fun and exciting because they know they already have a place. 

You'd think, but that's how messed up GC is in a way. Obviously, getting the first acceptance was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, but after one you start to get... greedy? Or maybe just hopeful? Like, "if X school wanted me, surely I have a better shot than I previously thought at school W, Y, Z"? Which is no way necessarily the case at all.

Checking gradcafe everyday prevented me from fully appreciating the acceptances I did get. Because no matter what program you get into, someone's going to be getting into another program that rejected you. And its much different seeing it posted by someone in a thread or up on the results page than just knowing in the back of your mind that a program filled their slots with other people. I was even at a point during the process when I considered reapplying the next season, this was after I had multiple acceptances from quality programs across the country. Thankfully some very stern but benevolent members gave me the reality check needed.

Applying to grad school, man... it'll drive you cuckoo. 

Edited by jazzy dubois

If anyone is applying to Nevada - Reno, I spoke with our graduate director this week and she said the committee is meeting February 7 and will likely have acceptances out  by the end of the following week.  Good luck, all.

May-the-Odds-Be-Ever-In-Your-Favor.gif

Quick question... one of the departments that I applied to contacted me and let me know that one of my recommendation letters didn't upload.  My adviser quickly resent the info.  However, is this usually a good sign?  I mean, would the department usually take the time to email applicants that an item was missing from their application if they weren't interested?  Thanks!

Quick question... one of the departments that I applied to contacted me and let me know that one of my recommendation letters didn't upload.  My adviser quickly resent the info.  However, is this usually a good sign?  I mean, would the department usually take the time to email applicants that an item was missing from their application if they weren't interested?  Thanks!

Three years ago, when I applied for the first time, I got emails from the secretary letting me know about materials that weren't yet in (mainly a transcript). Obviously it wasn't all that much of a good sign. I was rejected, and pretty early in the process. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying that it doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

Three years ago, when I applied for the first time, I got emails from the secretary letting me know about materials that weren't yet in (mainly a transcript). Obviously it wasn't all that much of a good sign. I was rejected, and pretty early in the process. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying that it doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

Thanks!  This is my first time going through this, so needless to say any personal email that I receive, I might think more of than I should, lol!

I somewhat disagree with the previous posts. I think it isn’t always a good sign, obviously, but it can be. On one of my applications, for example, I accidentally uploaded my Personal History Statement twice instead of uploading my Statement of Purpose. The director of graduate studies contacted me a few days later and told me that she had “read my application with interest” and wanted to make sure the error was corrected before it went to review because she felt like “I would be an excellent fit to [their] program, regardless of a one-time error.”

So, again, I think it really just depends on the situation and how strong the rest of your application is. 

Best of luck!

Question: one of my GRE scores reports did not go out for some reason. I have it as ordered, but as it apparently didn't get there or there was a mix up, I sent another one. Should I bother calling the school and explain, or should I just accept that I'm going to get outright rejected as the deadline was a few weeks ago? Are the GREs that big of deal if already reported on my application? 

Question: one of my GRE scores reports did not go out for some reason. I have it as ordered, but as it apparently didn't get there or there was a mix up, I sent another one. Should I bother calling the school and explain, or should I just accept that I'm going to get outright rejected as the deadline was a few weeks ago? Are the GREs that big of deal if already reported on my application? 

I would email (or call, if your program is okay with that) the school immediately, let them know what happened, and make sure they know that you already sent over a new copy. Sometimes schools will look over your application with just your self-reported scores, but if they have “Official GRE scores” listed as a requirement, then you are going to need them before they will finish evaluating your application. Good luck!

I would email (or call, if your program is okay with that) the school immediately, let them know what happened, and make sure they know that you already sent over a new copy. Sometimes schools will look over your application with just your self-reported scores, but if they have “Official GRE scores” listed as a requirement, then you are going to need them before they will finish evaluating your application. Good luck!

They said not to call about it until February 1st or later on the website for missing materials. I was thinking of calling then (so as to respect their website deadline) and ask if they received it/if it would mean my application is going to be automatically rejected. I'm just hoping it'll at least get reviewed.

I somewhat disagree with the previous posts. I think it isn’t always a good sign, obviously, but it can be. On one of my applications, for example, I accidentally uploaded my Personal History Statement twice instead of uploading my Statement of Purpose. The director of graduate studies contacted me a few days later and told me that she had “read my application with interest” and wanted to make sure the error was corrected before it went to review because she felt like “I would be an excellent fit to [their] program, regardless of a one-time error.”

So, again, I think it really just depends on the situation and how strong the rest of your application is.

Best of luck!

They said not to call about it until February 1st or later on the website for missing materials. I was thinking of calling then (so as to respect their website deadline) and ask if they received it/if it would mean my application is going to be automatically rejected. I'm just hoping it'll at least get reviewed.

This sounds like an Irvine application. In that case, I’d wait until February 1st. Looking back on the history of these boards, they don’t typically send out notifications until late-February/early March. You should be okay. 

This sounds like an Irvine application. In that case, I’d wait until February 1st. Looking back on the history of these boards, they don’t typically send out notifications until late-February/early March. You should be okay. 

It is Irvine! It isn't my top choice, but as I don't have too much teaching/publishing experience as an undergraduate, I'm pretty much panicking.

It is Irvine! It isn't my top choice, but as I don't have too much teaching/publishing experience as an undergraduate, I'm pretty much panicking.

Irvine’s a fab school! Haha. It’s ranked 22! I applied there as well and would love to get in there. I wouldn’t panic. You should be okay if you call them Feb 1st :)

Irvine’s a fab school! Haha. It’s ranked 22! I applied there as well and would love to get in there. I wouldn’t panic. You should be okay if you call them Feb 1st :)

I'm an east coast person (mainly, trying to move out there seems very terrifying) and my favorite professor works at a different uni. I'm kind of overwhelmed with the process, as an undergrad with only one published work and a few awards, I don't feel I'm as competitive as the MA students. But if I don't get in, I guess I can stay for a year and do more research at my undergrad uni and give it another go next year. 

I'm an east coast person (mainly, trying to move out there seems very terrifying) and my favorite professor works at a different uni. I'm kind of overwhelmed with the process, as an undergrad with only one published work and a few awards, I don't feel I'm as competitive as the MA students. But if I don't get in, I guess I can stay for a year and do more research at my undergrad uni and give it another go next year. 

I’m sure you’ll end up where you want to, or at least at a wonderful university! Best of luck! 

Shucks I just got an email from a Uni... I forgot to send my official scores. 

DAMN! 

own worst enemy... 

I sent the official scores and an email. 

Such Is Life.