Fall 2014 applicants??

I just got an Email from the DGS at St. Louis University, telling me they are recommending me for admission.

I made the mistake of reading it while teaching, and had to leave the room; my hands were shaking too hard and I thought I was going to cry.

And...someone please tell me because I've gone mad and can't remember, if they're "recommending" me, does that mean that I could still get rejected by the grad school?  Do I still need to be scared? Should I be drowning my hopes and bracing myself?

I'm freaking out.  3 cycles...almost 4...

YAAAAAAAY!  So glad you got good news, Katia.  As far as the phrasing, I think that's pretty standard, and even if the graduate school rejects you for some reason (which actually happened to me at the school I'm now attending thanks to my undergrad GPA being a hair shy of 3.0), generally all that means is the DGS has to fill out a form and send it over explaining that the English Department wants you and they can go suck an egg.

In the meantime: go celebrate!  Part your hair behind!  Eat a peach!  Preferably doused in the alcoholic beverage of your choice!

Thanks!!! :)

Yeah, from what he said in his Email, they're just dotting the I's and crossing the T's--he didn't seem to be worried.  Seems it's just a formality..

Though I'd rather everything just went yesses all round, without a middle "egg sucking" step...at this stage, I'm still having trouble believing anybody would fight to keep me.

I'm still waiting to wake up.

you guys... it's SO EARLY. SO SO EARLY. 

But the waiiiiiittting is the hardest part. Okay, aside from the agonizing over the SOP and fretting over the recommendations. And the paying out the ass for applications and GRE scores. Except for those, the waiting is the hardest part.

I'm waiting on both NYU and Duke as well. I'm also waiting for Notre Dame and Vanderbilt! All these schools have released around the first week in February, if not earlier, in previous years. I'm soooo nervous. And tired of waiting. 

I know they are all so incredibly hard to get into though, so it may be a rough start to my decisions. :( lol. Even worse, the rejections seem to come out later than the acceptances. I'm dying of my obsessive thoughts! I try to distract myself, but it doesn't work. I check the results page numerous times a day to see when those few acceptances start going out.

And Horb, I wish you the best of luck. Maybe, in spite of all odds, we'll end up at the same school. :D But if you get in and I do not, I will assume you stole my spot and hunt you down.  :ph34r:

Just playing. Here's to waiting in anxiety!

That made me laugh. And in these stressful times, I can only thank you. What are you hoping to concentrate in there?

In the meantime: go celebrate!  Part your hair behind!  Eat a peach!  Preferably doused in the alcoholic beverage of your choice!

Datatape, I need you to know that I just spent 15 minutes digging up my login info (haven't been on here since I applied last season) for the sole purpose of telling you that this absolutely made my day.

Um.  I just noticed that I wrote "an teacher" on my statements because I foolishly changed it from instructor, to teacher, at the VERY LAST MINUTE (why this mattered, I do not know).  Only I could ruin my meticulously written and proofread statements within a second.  Cue my transformation from the most relaxed and patient applicant to the most anxiety-ridden.  Please kill me.

It's okay. I put a "the" before a uni that doesn't have a the (The Princeton) and somehow, despite reading it 12 times, missed it. I doubt that'll be what ruins your application.

Um.  I just noticed that I wrote "an teacher" on my statements because I foolishly changed it from instructor, to teacher, at the VERY LAST MINUTE (why this mattered, I do not know).  Only I could ruin my meticulously written and proofread statements within a second.  Cue my transformation from the most relaxed and patient applicant to the most anxiety-ridden.  Please kill me.

I found no fewer than 3 typos in my SoP after the fact. In a curious twist of fate, I wound up with as many acceptances. Don't sweat it.

I somehow think they expect it/don't notice. I'm worried about mine because you can tell that I switched out the Uni name, but they'd be silly if they thought I was only applying there. Silly I tell you! 

The best thing we can do now is just to wait. I know how terrible that is, but worrying won't help. I've found this thread helps me relax and I've come to terms that there will be mistakes but they expect that. 

NYU began sending out application responses around Feb 7th last year (I also applied and looked it up), so I would start checking around then.

THAT COULD BE NEXT WEEK!?!?! Coolness. 

I did all of mine day of also due to money issues and the fact that applications coincided with seminar paper due dates. I don't think it's an issue As long as the main app was in on time. The committees often don't meet for 3-4 weeks after you submit.

I've noticed. At this point I think only MSU has met, and that's my worst situation. Honestly, I'm a bit worried in general, My jr/sr GPA is fantastic (4.0), and I've got some really good externals, but my overall GPA is still under 3.0 and my writing samples weren't up to snuff. Part of that is that, honestly, I haven't had a paper over eight pages in my undergrad at this point.

It is not so so early according to the results page. I did not see any acceptances to Duke after February 7th! I mean there may be some outliers, but it seems Duke is pretty quick with their decisions!

And Horb, I'm hoping to do critical theory and contemporary literature! How about you???

I have an interdisciplinary approach. I study violence theory as applied to literature, particularly Victorian literature, using an ethnographic feminist approach. It's Anthro and English combined kind of.

Someone got notified about Duke and was accepted yesterday. Congrats to whoever it was! And for all of us still not having heard back, good luck!

Possibly? It was two days ago, which still seems rather early, so I wouldn't fear. Looking at last year, some of the acceptances were a bit staggered. And I don't have any new notifications on my Duke App page. 

Based on last year's results, I'm assuming Northwestern is gonna be my first reply--or not. Do any of you know if they notify everyone they accept via phone or is that just for whoever they can easily reach? I live in Germany, so I'm wondering.

It must be an awesome job to deliver such great news for a few hours a year...

According to a previous thread, Duke seems to notify in alphabetical order, but they do acceptances first and rejections after. So if we are admitted, we will probably be notified within the next two or so days =\

It looks like the person on the board was notified on the 28th, which means they probably already hit the H's, which is my last name. Obviously, no one is surprised when they are rejected from Duke, but I have a feeling that I am and it does sting a bit.

Edited by Switters

It looks like they were notified on the 28th, which means they probably already hit the H's, which is my last name. Obviously, no one is surprised when they are rejected from Duke, but I have a feeling that I am and it does sting a bit.

Have hope! Besides, if it is not meant to be, it is probably because there is a better program for you out there! I am fairly certain I won't get in, but I also knew that when applying. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Have hope! Besides, if it is not meant to be, it is probably because there is a better program for you out there! I am fairly certain I won't get in, but I also knew that when applying. Why do we do this to ourselves?

I know you're right and I'll be happy for those who do get it :)

Sometimes it feels like the hard work is futile. Haha. A 4.0 MA GPA, 168 V, 14 conference presentations, 4 scholarly publications, 4 years teaching experience, and 11 major awards. Most of all, though, I thought the school was an amazing "fit" for me. (This sounds arrogant, but I'm just venting. I know that everyone on these boards is amazing and deserves to get in.) Oh well. Haha. I just hope someone wants me. I applied to 14 schools, so we will see.

I know you're right and I'll be happy for those who do get it :)

Sometimes it feels like the hard work is futile. Haha. A 4.0 MA GPA, 168 V, 14 conference presentations, 4 scholarly publications, 4 years teaching experience, and 11 major awards. Most of all, though, I thought the school was an amazing "fit" for me. (This sounds arrogant, but I'm just venting. I know that everyone on these boards is amazing and deserves to get in.) Oh well. Haha. I just hope someone wants me. I applied to 14 schools, so we will see.

Dear god! How did you do all that? Was that in masters or undergrad too? I'm a senior and only have one publication, two research experiences, and a few awards under my belt. I'm hoping what makes me stand out is the originality of my research/research topic, but who knows. I've taken a few undergrad courses and studied abroad a few times, so I'm hoping that also speaks to my potential. We'll see though. I would be absolutely shocked if I got in. I'd probably just die.