Fall 2014 applicants??

I just checked Duke's boards again. I made a mistake...if gradcafe is a representative sample, they typically notify all applications within a day or two, then rejections are sent in alphabetical order. THAT BEING SAID, they have never notified as early as the 28th. Maybe the person got a fellowship nod?

Most of all, though, I thought the school was an amazing "fit" for me. (This sounds arrogant, but I'm just venting. I know that everyone on these boards is amazing and deserves to get in.)

Not arrogant at all. Arrogant would be applying to 10 or more programs and claiming that all of them are great fits. 

I hope so! If Not, I'm sure I'll be more prepared next year. My school doesn't offer conference opportunities for english or scholarships to attend ones outside our school, but I am going to be attempting to get into the undergrad research one this year, so hopefully I can make my record even better :)

Based on last year's results, I'm assuming Northwestern is gonna be my first reply--or not. Do any of you know if they notify everyone they accept via phone or is that just for whoever they can easily reach? I live in Germany, so I'm wondering.

It must be an awesome job to deliver such great news for a few hours a year...

Where are you in Germany? I studied there and hope to return at some point.

Not arrogant at all. Arrogant would be applying to 10 or more programs and claiming that all of them are great fits.

Haha nope. I applied to everything from Rank 1 to Rank 121 and am just hoping someone takes me.

Boy this is stressful, isn't it?

This is a stupid question (and sorry for posting so much) but when I log on to the Duke App Checker, it says: "The status of your admission decision is located in the box on the right-hand side of this page." But there is no decision notification, so I'm assuming it just isn't uploaded yet, right?

This is a stupid question (and sorry for posting so much) but when I log on to the Duke App Checker, it says: "The status of your admission decision is located in the box on the right-hand side of this page." But there is no decision notification, so I'm assuming it just isn't uploaded yet, right?

Not a stupid question. That's what mine says too. No notifications yet.

Another stupid question. . . To check status we just log into our application right? And it just says submitted with a green check? Or is there a specific place I am supposed to be checking. Not that I got in anyways, lol, but I want to be checking the right place.

Yeah, the applicants.siss.duke.edu link. If you have a notification, it would be on the right hand side of the page.

That's different from the actual application, though. It's the link they sent out after your Duke ID is created.

Edited by Switters

Another stupid question. . . To check status we just log into our application right? And it just says submitted with a green check? Or is there a specific place I am supposed to be checking. Not that I got in anyways, lol, but I want to be checking the right place.

You should have received an email with your DUKE ID and a place to go to check on application materials. That is where it says it. Not just the app page.

I think the website listed above is correct. I just know I got a second email from ssis (or w/e it is called) and it looked different than the app page :) 

Ohhh I see. I guess I completely forgot I received this email in the app-blackout period immediately following the new year. 

Thanks!

Edited by echo449

"App Blackout period" is now my new favorite phrase. Mine lasted from september to january 8th and I really hope I never have to go through it again until job hunting!

Also, another Duke acceptance is up on the results. I'm so sad :(

Edited by Horb

Congratz to anyone reading who might've gotten in!

I feel surprisingly okay right now--probably because I realized as I was putting all my stuff together for it that, despite the crazy awesomeness of the people there, no one actually shared my specific research interests. Oh well!

I know you're right and I'll be happy for those who do get it :)

Sometimes it feels like the hard work is futile. Haha. A 4.0 MA GPA, 168 V, 14 conference presentations, 4 scholarly publications, 4 years teaching experience, and 11 major awards. Most of all, though, I thought the school was an amazing "fit" for me. (This sounds arrogant, but I'm just venting. I know that everyone on these boards is amazing and deserves to get in.) Oh well. Haha. I just hope someone wants me. I applied to 14 schools, so we will see.

Jeez. This is why I have zero confidence.

Edited by paytonlauren

I was looking through the results page again (god I need to not be obsessed with this site) and there were some ppl notified the 5th and some notified the 10th and both were acceptances, so perhaps it isn't as clear cut as we thought?