Fall 2014 applicants??

I have an interdisciplinary approach. I study violence theory as applied to literature, particularly Victorian literature, using an ethnographic feminist approach. It's Anthro and English combined kind of.

Can we be friends? ;) I'm interested in Anthro/English work with Victorian sensation and crime fiction :D

Based on last year's results, I'm assuming Northwestern is gonna be my first reply--or not. Do any of you know if they notify everyone they accept via phone or is that just for whoever they can easily reach? I live in Germany, so I'm wondering.

It must be an awesome job to deliver such great news for a few hours a year...

I'm from Germany too! I'm guessing they'll contact us via email instead of calling. 

Alright, so I know I'm going to look neurotic, but does anyone know, generally of course, once the department has recommended you, how long it usually takes for the grad school to make it "official"?

The DGS sent me information about assistantships, and a handbook, and a few other things.  But I still don't have an "official" notice.  I've been careful about screaming the news, because I'm terrified of a last-minute fluke, but I'd really like to get properly excited.  I just don't know if the documents he sent are supposed to imply the official notice, or if I'm going to need to wait another week or something.

He said the grad school's decision was basically just checking everything's in, so...

I know, I'm doing the crazy questions-loop.

One more...after he sent me the documents, is it appropriate to send my thanks?  Or does effusive thanking just come off as annoying. (yes, in my paranoia I obsess over the little things).

Based on last year's results, I'm assuming Northwestern is gonna be my first reply--or not. Do any of you know if they notify everyone they accept via phone or is that just for whoever they can easily reach? I live in Germany, so I'm wondering.

It must be an awesome job to deliver such great news for a few hours a year...

Also, judging from previous years, it seems like they notify acceptances with a phone call and rejections via website/email. Which has me nervously checking my phone 24/7, terrified that I'll see an email from them. Here's hoping we all get phone calls... or emails with good news, for those in Germany!

Alright, so I know I'm going to look neurotic, but does anyone know, generally of course, once the department has recommended you, how long it usually takes for the grad school to make it "official"?

The DGS sent me information about assistantships, and a handbook, and a few other things.  But I still don't have an "official" notice.  I've been careful about screaming the news, because I'm terrified of a last-minute fluke, but I'd really like to get properly excited.  I just don't know if the documents he sent are supposed to imply the official notice, or if I'm going to need to wait another week or something.

He said the grad school's decision was basically just checking everything's in, so...

One more...after he sent me the documents, is it appropriate to send my thanks?  Or does effusive thanking just come off as annoying. (yes, in my paranoia I obsess over the little things).

It sounds to me like you're in.  If I were in your position, I'd tell people I'm *really really* close to (like a significant other, parents, a best friend), but not everyone just yet.  Inside,  I'd probably 80% celebrate and 20% hold back until it's official.  

To the DGS, I'd just reply to his documents with a thanks very much and a "looking forward to receiving official word!" (with the exclamation point, but just one.)

Where are you in Germany? I studied there and hope to return at some point.

I'm German from Mecklenburg which I tend to compare to Montana or any of those other rural states, but I live in Cologne.

Actually Cologne might be a perfect place for you to go. Last year, a couple of Americans and Canadians founded a North American Student Association (short NASA, yep, pun, pun, pun, we love puns) and they'd be very helpful if you come here. But I also saw that you applied for Fulbright, so if you do that, that might be a way to visit Germany as well ;)

Good luck!

I am feeling EXACTLY the same way. I got an email from the DGS, then an enthusiastic call from the graduate secretary, but there's been no word since then and I am thinking, "What if the grad division rejects me? Or they change their minds?" 

I'm from Germany too! I'm guessing they'll contact us via email instead of calling. 

I just realized that they can't even call me because I didn't fill in my number for some reason... Like I said I think it would be nice to find out on the phone.

Also, cbttcher, I now officially consider you my extra-extra competition! :P:ph34r: I doubt they'll take two non-Americans. Trotzdem, viel Glück!!! :)

Edited by Megeen

I wouldn't let implicit rejections get you too down. While they are often a sign that you haven't gotten in, there's still a chance that things are up in the air. I got an acceptance last year almost a month after everyone else had heard because they were trying to finalize some diversity funding, so you really never know.

Edited by dazedandbemused

We just need all of this to be over, honestly. I haven't slept much the past two weeks, and I can only imagine the stress will get worse. I also demolished almost half a box of See's, so that's also a pretty good indicator of how badly I'm dealing with this, haha. 

Maybe I should go to the gym instead, exercise all the stress out. 

Having worked in various admissions departments, I'd be really surprised if the grad school turned down a departmental acceptance. That's usually only the case when: 

a. Your UGPA was *significantly* lower than a 3.0 GPA. Even then, the department head is usually older and smarter than the grad school administrator and convinces them pretty easily.

b. You were once arrested for trying to smuggle drugs back in from Puerto Rico after Spring Break (happens more often than you might think).

c. The department head flirted with the administrator's husband at a university event (also happens way too often. English professors are a little bit easy).  

d. Bad luck that's so convoluted you might as well laugh at it. 

That said, I think we give these departments a lot more credit than we need to. It's usually just a few harried department managers and professors trying desperately to balance the whole process with whatever the new semester's thrown up, rather than the smooth well-oiled machine our study of the "results board" suggests. So delays, mixed messages etc. are mostly just the result of putting an academic in charge of organization rather than passive-aggressive messages to applicants. 

But, congratulations on the good news thus far from SLU, Katia. It's a real fun program and St. Louis is great.

I'm German from Mecklenburg which I tend to compare to Montana or any of those other rural states, but I live in Cologne.

Actually Cologne might be a perfect place for you to go. Last year, a couple of Americans and Canadians founded a North American Student Association (short NASA, yep, pun, pun, pun, we love puns) and they'd be very helpful if you come here. But I also saw that you applied for Fulbright, so if you do that, that might be a way to visit Germany as well ;)

Good luck!

My best friend lives in Bonn so I've been there a few times. I love the Schokolade Museum! Still working on my German tho :)

Looks like UNL has started their notification process. They typically accept applicants over about a 4 day span, so I'm trying not to lose hope yet. One of my LoR writers is an alumn of the program; she told me I was a perfect fit and that they'd love me. I'm starting to just feel sick.

Still no news from Northwestern? I'm applying to their comp. lit program and I'm really starting to lose faith. Shouldn't they start notifying like now. :angry: ???

Me too!!! I applied to the English program. I'm not at the losing faith point, yet because I haven't seen any notifications, but I'm so so anxious for it because it's kinda at the top of my list. And because I'm applying for the first time and as an international applicant, I have no idea what my chances are and so the first acceptance or rejection carries much more meaning...

Edited by Megeen

I feel cruel for saying this, but last year Northwestern notified on a Friday (I'm pretty sure since I was at work) via phone and it was late during the day ~4-5pm. So it should be soon! Crossing my fingers for all of you!

I feel cruel for saying this, but last year Northwestern notified on a Friday (I'm pretty sure since I was at work) via phone and it was late during the day ~4-5pm. So it should be soon! Crossing my fingers for all of you!

Oh man. Definitely keeping my phone by me at all times today... but who am I kidding? I've already been doing that for weeks. I basically have a momentary panic any time it rings these days.

Question about that though-- how does that phone call go? I'm worried that if by some chance I'm lucky enough to GET an acceptance over the phone, I'll be stunned into silence. 

Anyone have any advice on this? Are you expected to say much more than "Wow, I'm so excited, thank you, etc."... or do people start asking questions about the program already?

Question about that though-- how does that phone call go? I'm worried that if by some chance I'm lucky enough to GET an acceptance over the phone, I'll be stunned into silence. 

Anyone have any advice on this? Are you expected to say much more than "Wow, I'm so excited, thank you, etc."... or do people start asking questions about the program already?

Haha well I don't have any good advice, but I feel like they're probably used to people being stunned. When the DGS from Ohio State called me on Monday, I felt like I was vibrating inside and I probably didn't respond with more than 1-2 words at a time lol. He did ask me if I had any questions after he explained a bunch of stuff, but he also said there'd be a more detailed email coming and I had to teach in approximately ten minutes, so I didn't ask anything.

I am not the right person to ask, because I'm not good with that sort of thing.. that said, I was asked if I had any questions. I couldn't think of any at the time and asked if I could email. After we made some small talk, I thought of a question. I was given lots of great information.