Fall 2014 applicants??

Freaking USC rejected me. Even though Illinois took me, in my heart I didn't want to leave California and was pulling for this one.Sucks to put in so much work and be told you are not good enough for us. 

I'm going to save this rejection letter, frame it, and use it for motivation during those moments of dejection and abortive feelings.

Great! One of my rec providers got his BA at UCLA. I'm hoping to work with Anne Mellor and/or Joseph Bristow. (My primary field is Romanticism, secondary is Queer Theory/LGBT studies with an overarching interest in the subject/object relationship.)

Another UCLA applicant, best of luck to us! I'm hoping to work with Keith Camacho, Elizabeth DeLoughrey, and Victor Bascara from the postcolonial group. Asian American and Pacific Island literatures are my interests.

Hello All,

Longtime lurker here. Do you think Northwestern is set (i.e. should I give up hope since I wasn't contacted today?), or perhaps it was just a single POI going rogue and notifying today while others will be notified later?

Edited by JuliaSug

Excited and nervous for all of my fellow UCLA applicants!

NYU is supposed to get back in the next couple of days according to 2013's results.

Also, I got a letter in the mail today from the DGS of WSU. He thanked me for my interest, told me how to get more information on the program, and let me know how they inform applicants that they've gotten accepted (via e-mail and then postal). Anyone else get this sort of thing from any other program? I was a bit confused. Usually these messages appear via e-mail.

Rejections have little to do with being "not good enough" even if, almost inevitably, they feel that way at first. A very important factor is whether you fit well with A) existing research clusters within the department (specialties/strengths), B) what they're hoping to add to the department with this year's group of admits, and C) how the department hopes to evolve. A poor fit with any of these, I would imagine, doesn't help a candidate even if they may otherwise be an absolutely magical future scholar. Hence why so many of us have experienced rejections from programs we expected to get into, and acceptances from programs we never thought we had a shot at.

Hello All,

Longtime lurker here. Do you think Northwestern is set (i.e. should I give up hope since I wasn't contacted today?), or perhaps it was just a single POI going rogue and notifying today while others will be notified later?

Based on previous years, it looks like they accept people over the course of two days, so all hope is not lost. They also seem to notify on Sundays, but I'm gonna keep hoping until monday.

On the topic of Northwestern.. They were one of the few schools I applied to that seemed fairly committed to diversity. How much difference does that make in the application process? I can see on the stats that some years, 90% of the students they accept are white. How does being Hispanic affect or not affect my chances? Does it really matter at all?

Sorry, I realize this is a weird question. I'm still just trying to convince myself that someone will want me for some reason haha

Ugh, those two Vanderbilt results are like a thorn in my side. What does it mean that only two people have results and they're both different?!? These schools have no respect for my sanity... I could understand two acceptances, but one waitlist and one acceptance? Did the other applicants accepted just not post their results yet? 

Vanderbilt had better send out the rest of its notifications early this week, or I think I'll explode. 

ETA: I really wish the two Vanderbilt result posters would clue the rest of us in to what's going on. Surely they have some information. 

Edited by BostonClem

Ugh, those two Vanderbilt results are like a thorn in my side. What does it mean that only two people have results and they're both different?!? These schools have no respect for my sanity... I could understand two acceptances, but one waitlist and one acceptance? Did the other applicants accepted just not post their results yet? 

Vanderbilt had better send out the rest of its notifications early this week, or I think I'll explode. 

ETA: I really wish the two Vanderbilt result posters would clue the rest of us in to what's going on. Surely they have some information.

Same here. I just want to know'

You do realize that not everyone who applies to grad school is on this website, or even if they are they might not post results (some are just lurkers). Not trying to be rude, just trying to get peeps to chill out. And yes, you're right--the schools don't have any respect for sanity. They get the results out when it works for them. Some of them never even send rejection letters. Also, the two people who got responses from Vanderbilt likely don't know anything more than what their letters tell them. 

Edited by BunnyWantsaPhD

You do realize that not everyone who applies to grad school is on this website, or even if they are they might not post results (some are just lurkers). Not trying to be rude, just trying to get peeps to chill out. And yes, you're right--the schools don't have any respect for sanity. They get the results out when it works for them. Some of them never even send rejection letters. Also, the two people who got responses from Vanderbilt likely don't know anything more than what their letters tell them. 

Yes.... I'm well aware not everyone is on gradcafe or posting their results....

A random stranger telling me to "chill out" is probably not helpful right now, but thanks. Understanding something intellectually doesn't make the emotional experience any more logical. I'd like to think gradcafe is a place where people can vent some of their pent up emotions about the application process to an empathetic audience without fear of being treated dismissively.

Of course the people who got responses from Vanderbilt probably don't know more than what the letter said. But perhaps the letters indicated whether the selection process was essentially complete or whether they were part of an early-notified group. 

A random stranger telling me to "chill out" is probably not helpful right now, but thanks...  I'd like to think gradcafe is a place where people can vent some of their pent up emotions about the application process to an empathetic audience without fear of being treated dismissively.

No one was dismissing you. The other poster was trying to soothe your jumpy nerves. You shouldn't expect people to serve as your 'empathetic audience' and then tell them they're just 'random strangers' when they don't answer exactly as you wish. You do need to chill.

A random stranger telling me to "chill out" is probably not helpful right now, but thanks. Understanding something intellectually doesn't make the emotional experience any more logical. I'd like to think gradcafe is a place where people can vent some of their pent up emotions about the application process to an empathetic audience without fear of being treated dismissively.

Of course the people who got responses from Vanderbilt probably don't know more than what the letter said. But perhaps the letters indicated whether the selection process was essentially complete or whether they were part of an early-notified group. 

I don't think the former poster meant to be rude, he's just trying to calm you down , just like many of us do in this forum. This is the exact place where you can "pent up emotions" and expect others to sympathize with you. I think that waiting for schools to notify is making everyone nervous. So, cheer up :)  

Five of my schools apparently began notifying this weekend....Duke (rejected), Berkeley (implied rejection), Vanderbilt (implied rejection), Nebraska, and ASU.

I'm growing increasingly concerned about Nebraska, but I'm confused by Arizona State...one rejection and two acceptances posted in the results as received on the same day, but my application is still "Being Reviewed." My Nebraska app says the same thing.

I would hate for five of my schools to be wiped out in one weekend. I'm so glad I applied to fourteen.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers and I'll do the same for you! I'm going mental over here.

I heard that NYU is going to be notifying this coming week. I really thought I wouldn't be hearing back from anyone until Mid-February. Needless to say, having the one rejection so far and learning I can find out at any time has destroyed any peace of mind I had! Good luck and best wishes to everyone in the coming weeks! 

Has anyone heard from Stanford? There are two acceptances on the results board, but the application website specifically states that applications will be in review in January and February and decisions will come out in by late Feb. Did they make decisions extra fast? Or did they only notify some accepted applicants so far? Anyone know?

Five of my schools apparently began notifying this weekend....Duke (rejected), Berkeley (implied rejection), Vanderbilt (implied rejection), Nebraska, and ASU.

I'm growing increasingly concerned about Nebraska, but I'm confused by Arizona State...one rejection and two acceptances posted in the results as received on the same day, but my application is still "Being Reviewed." My Nebraska app says the same thing.

I would hate for five of my schools to be wiped out in one weekend. I'm so glad I applied to fourteen.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers and I'll do the same for you! I'm going mental over here.

I don't know about the others, but I think it's safe to say with Nebraska that the person who entered theirs was likely a rhet/comp person...at least, that's what I'm telling myself to survive. Based on last year's stats, Nebraska let everyone know within the same 6 day window, so there's at least hope in that if they do it the same way this year, you (and I) will know something soon. I do find it weird that the MA's have heard back/gotten funding before any PhD has heard either way, but who knows. The fact of the matter is nobody has been rejected yet and because of that I'm not going to allow myself to freak out. 

As far as the other places go, I'm sorry :/ It must be total hell to think that you've crossed five off (potentially) in one weekend, but you're right--fourteen is a fantastic number. I had originally hoped to apply to fourteen but ended up with twelve, which I feel pretty good/okay about. The bottom line is that it's out of our hands and at the very least we all know that we did the best we could. 

Even though it seems impossible, I think positivity (or at least non-negativity) is the best way to move from here. That said, I'm keeping positive thoughts in mind for all applicants who haven't heard from anyone yet--I hope everyone finds the place that is best for them and who appreciates what they have to offer as scholars, whether that's a seat at the table of academia or another year perfecting their work. From my own vantage point, I know it would be beyond incredible to get into at least one of the schools that I applied to, but I also know that I am up against some of you amazing scholars and that there is nothing wrong with losing spots to people as dedicated and intelligent as you all are (even if it feels like hell). I'd rather know that one of you posters who works their ass off and gives a shit gets a spot at a university that I want--at least that way I would feel justified. 

Not that I don't want a spot more than humanly possible. Because I do. Or something. 

Bottom line: good luck to everyone, let us share in your good news, your woes, and your anxiety. This community is one that has made me feel less alone in an extremely isolating process, and for that I am extremely thankful. 

Edited by ArthurianChaucerian

So far, for me, the only ones I applied to that have very apparently begun to notify (may not be complete) are Northwestern and Ohio State.   That said, I am not crushed at all by either the implied or actual rejection  I knew they were long shots for me, and I knew the chance I was taking when I (foolishly) laid down the cash for those applications.  The schools I think I have a legitimate shot at haven't started notifying.  I'm not depressed or down just yet.  

I feel nervous and without a whole lot of confidence, though.  

I was trying to exactly what you said--be empathetic (I mentioned how the schools don't really care about our sanity, which I thought was implying that I, too, am going crazy by this process). Also, I thought you were being more literal in your questions in terms of "what does it mean that two people got results and they're both different?!"...I thought you really wanted an answer to that question and the answer is that we don't know what results are out there. While it's obviously okay to "freak out" about waiting to hear results, it also helps to put some things in perspective, which I was trying to help you with. 

As far as what their letters contained, I'm sure it was some generic "we're happy to have you. we'll notify you soon about funding (or here is the funding information now." or for the waitlister "we'd love to have you, but there's so many great candidates, blah blah)." I mean, there's probably not much different in the letters than what we'd expect them to say. 

Anyways, just trying to be helpful, not hurtful. 

Edited by BunnyWantsaPhD

Yeah, there's really not much info sent out, so unfortunately the people with offers are probably as much in the dark as everyone : /.

Chin up folks! Please try to stay positive. There's at least four more weeks left of 'first round' acceptances and then there's no telling what might happen when people start sending in their decisions. This is why its so important to let a school know if you don't plan on accepting their offer (of course do not respond unless you are 100% sure) so that the department can reach out to others.

Congrats to everyone whose gotten offers so far! Very exciting!