Fall 2014 applicants??

I'm curious as well. I know if I had published some things I wrote as a sophomore or even as a junior, I might be worried about other people seeing them haha

I'm not sure you mean it like this, but I was just thinking about what if people ever saw my freshman and early sophomore writing. It wasn't bad for my age group but dear god, I definitely improved. Sometimes I'll read over things and just ponder why I made certain arguments the way I did. It is funny though.

I'm not sure you mean it like this, but I was just thinking about what if people ever saw my freshman and early sophomore writing. It wasn't bad for my age group but dear god, I definitely improved. Sometimes I'll read over things and just ponder why I made certain arguments the way I did. It is funny though.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant haha. I surprise myself more often than not when I read stuff I wrote a while back, so I'm glad none of it is floating around for people to make judgments on

Looks like NYU and UChicago should be responding this week based on the last few years of data. Best of luck to those applying there!

Applied to both of these--my late rec letter writer didn't even submit her letter to UChicago, for whatever reason, which is unfortunate because I think it's the school I have the best FIT with. Such a disappointment.

Applied to both of these--my late rec letter writer didn't even submit her letter to UChicago, for whatever reason, which is unfortunate because I think it's the school I have the best FIT with. Such a disappointment.

Also applied to both. Had a late recommender at UChicago, but their DGS was very nice about it. Lelmore97, your professor never got the letter in at all? Did you end up with the requisite amount of recommendations?

I had issues with a rec writer for three of the fellowships I applied to at the start of the fall and I'm sorry you had to experience this as well. It is truly horrifying, because it is the one part of an application we cannot control. I really love both and if I get into either, I think I'd just start sobbing (happily, of course!). I wish you the best of luck!

Also applied to both. Had a late recommender at UChicago, but their DGS was very nice about it. Lelmore97, your professor never got the letter in at all? Did you end up with the requisite amount of recommendations?

I reminded her several times via email that she hadn't yet gotten to that one (after submitting Brown and Irvine late) and she never got it in. I'm assuming the required number was 3, wasn't it? So no, I did not, which is so frustrating.

I reminded her several times via email that she hadn't yet gotten to that one (after submitting Brown and Irvine late) and she never got it in. I'm assuming the required number was 3, wasn't it? So no, I did not, which is so frustrating.

Wow that is frustrating. I have heard stories of departments liking applicants so much that they overlook things like that, but it surely doesn't feel great to start off at what could be considered a disadvantage. Hopefully she got everything else in at a decent time and you'll get into somewhere wonderful.

Someone got rejected from USC by email when the previous 6 rejections have been by regular mail. 

???

I saw that! What gives!

I posted the USC rejection via e-mail. Just to clarify: I don't think it's their normal MO and I still got the generic rejection letter in the mail later on, but the DGS wrote to tell me that the professor I had talked about wanting to work with in my SOP has just moved to another university. I thought it was nice of her to let me know, but if it hadn't been for that unusual situation, she probably wouldn't have e-mailed.

Looks like NYU and UChicago should be responding this week based on the last few years of data. Best of luck to those applying there!

I applied to UChicago for their Masters. Does that mean all grad applicants who applied to uChicago will be hearing back already as well? Not just PhD?

Now UC-Davis is posting?! Gah! I am starting to feel really down about life.

Me too! I'm starting to dread seeing other people posting results and not getting the call (it seems a lot of people get accepted over the phone). Only two of my schools have started reporting and it's the first day of reporting, but I'm already feeling doubt. Ugh!

My department didn't even mention it. I got published freshman year because I put myself out there. I don't even know how to do it now, especially because as an undergrad, I feel like no one would take my work seriously. I started my own research journal at my school so that others might have a place to publish. 

Yeah I had no knowledge of conferences until my senior year of undergrad, and I didn't know about publishing until I began researching Master's programs. I still haven't published anything yet, but by the time I finish my Master's program in May, I'll have presented at two conferences.

Yeah I had no knowledge of conferences until my senior year of undergrad, and I didn't know about publishing until I began researching Master's programs. I still haven't published anything yet, but by the time I finish my Master's program in May, I'll have presented at two conferences.

I've been informed that publishing itself doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot if it's not to a first or second tier journal--until you start job hunting. But unless you publish something in your field at a first or second tier journal, I've heard that it doesn't necessarily impact your chance of getting in (ie people get rejected who have been published 4 times, etc). Presenting at conferences makes more of a difference, but isn't a requirement--I know plenty of funded PhD students who have never presented before.

It might depend on the school, but this is what I have heard is the norm generally. Grad schools are looking to cultivate students; you don't need to be a published academic yet.

I'll reiterate that publications really are not expected. Is it nice to show that you're familiar with publishing/conferencing? Yes, of course, but it likely doesn't matter much beyond just being noted. I didn't have any publications or conferences at the time of admissions, and many of my friends didn't either. It isn't something you should sweat over.