Fall 2014 applicants??

Just received my email from Northeastern... "Your application is now in committee review."

Fan-bloody-tastic.

I've gotten several emails like this  -- one of them just yesterday -- from various schools.

I know -- in my heart of hearts -- that they're conspiring to never utter (neither now, nor in mid or late February, nor any part of March, nor ever) any words to me other than that my application is in a committee being reviewed.  

Edited by purpleperson

I don't think rankings are a good way to decide whether attending a school is "suicide" or not. I mean, if you want to get really pretentious about it and say that there are schools that are "beneath" you, go for it. The fact of the matter is, rankings are total bullshit and fit is what matters. If you work with awesome scholars who have done amazing things in the field that you study, who cares if the university is number 7 or number 25. I'm currently an MA at a school that isn't top 20 and my thesis advisor is extremely well known and has published prolifically in my field--in fact, she was awarded at a private ceremony at MLA just a few weeks ago. I can't imagine choosing a school or not applying to a school because I didn't like they way they were ranked--I chose the schools I applied to based on who I thought I could work with, where I wanted to be, and whether or not I thought the university would be the kind of place that I could see myself. Ranking is fine and good, but it only matters to the people who are ranked high--it reminds me of all the girls who thought they were cool in high school because they were "popular", but really the rest of us didn't give a shit. 

Bottom line: go where you can grow as a scholar, ignore the rankings. Your application is already in, you already decided that you were interested in that university...why would you let a number next to the university name make a difference? 

I don't think rankings are a good way to decide whether attending a school is "suicide" or not. I mean, if you want to get really pretentious about it and say that there are schools that are "beneath" you, go for it. The fact of the matter is, rankings are total bullshit and fit is what matters. If you work with awesome scholars who have done amazing things in the field that you study, who cares if the university is number 7 or number 25. I'm currently an MA at a school that isn't top 20 and my thesis advisor is extremely well known and has published prolifically in my field--in fact, she was awarded at a private ceremony at MLA just a few weeks ago. I can't imagine choosing a school or not applying to a school because I didn't like they way they were ranked--I chose the schools I applied to based on who I thought I could work with, where I wanted to be, and whether or not I thought the university would be the kind of place that I could see myself. Ranking is fine and good, but it only matters to the people who are ranked high--it reminds me of all the girls who thought they were cool in high school because they were "popular", but really the rest of us didn't give a shit. 

Bottom line: go where you can grow as a scholar, ignore the rankings. Your application is already in, you already decided that you were interested in that university...why would you let a number next to the university name make a difference? 

I thinking prestige does and does not matter. For instance, if the program is ranked highly, but not necessarily the school, it doesn't really matter. That being said, most of the ground-breaking scholars are at fairly decent programs (1 through 50ish). So, as the context of the question was below 75, I'd say you might not be doomed, but you probably don't have the best chance possible. As long as you do good work though, I'd think you'd be fine. 

I've gotten several emails like this  -- one of them just yesterday -- from various schools.

I know -- in my heart of hearts -- that they're conspiring to never utter (neither now, nor in mid or late February, nor any part of March, nor ever) any words to me other than that my application is in a committee being reviewed.  

Right?! All I get when I log on to my portals for other schools is "Your application is received and being reviewed," but this is the first school that actually sent me a separate letter telling me they're now starting the process of reviewing. UGH. I just want it all to be over. I really don't know how well I'm going to handle rejection...I feel like I'll probably sink into depression.

Edited by gk210

Right?! All I get when I log on to my portals for other schools is "Your application is received and being reviewed," but this is the first school that actually sent me a separate letter telling me they're now starting the process of reviewing. UGH. I just want it all to be over. I really don't know how well I'm going to handle rejection...I feel like I'll probably sink into depression.

I've been under Committee Review there since January 9th. Quite a lengthy review if you ask me.

I've been under Committee Review there since January 9th. Quite a lengthy review if you ask me.

Looks like you already got into a school though, not to mention, a FANTASTIC school. I'd gladly trade places with you. I'll be ecstatic with even just one acceptance. 

Haven't heard anything yet. Didn't even have any idea they had extended the deadline

Me neither, it just says on the website that it was extended from 1st Dec to the 6th. No idea if that has any baring on notifications at all - and I guess there's actually no reason to suppose that they would notify on exactly the same day every year in any case.

Me neither, it just says on the website that it was extended from 1st Dec to the 6th. No idea if that has any baring on notifications at all - and I guess there's actually no reason to suppose that they would notify on exactly the same day every year in any case.

I think they may have extended it because there were a few days when the application was locked out - like two days before the deadline. At least it was for me, and why I didn't apply. Could be wrong!

Any Purdue applicants around? Just wondering if I was alone in getting the "your application file is being reviewed" email from the department? Also a large section about how rolling admissions works, seemed like a polite way to say "please don't call us". 

Any Purdue applicants around? Just wondering if I was alone in getting the "your application file is being reviewed" email from the department? Also a large section about how rolling admissions works, seemed like a polite way to say "please don't call us". 

I'm applying to Purdue, and I got that email too. It seems like a "we know GradCafe (and similar sites) exist, don't panic when other people are accepted and you haven't heard from us yet" email. Not that this will keep me from worrying or anything ;)

I got basically the same e-mail from Boston U. I'm basically picturing a large group of professors in New England laughing at my writing sample right about now.

I applied to Purdue as well. No real sense of how the rolling admissions works with them, but hopefully they don't milk it for 2 months.

I applied to Purdue as well. No real sense of how the rolling admissions works with them, but hopefully they don't milk it for 2 months.

Ha, the email basically says that they have no idea when they will know whether you're in your not--they even give in example of offering someone an assistantship on the national deadline. As they put so eloquently: "To put this all another way: we can't predict when we'll be able to contact you, but you can be sure that we'll do so as soon as circumstances allow". 

Read: "Everybody calm the fuck down." 

They also reminded us that there is no active wait list. 

I emailed a school that rejected me today to ask what I could do to make myself a more competitive applicant in the future. I’m not sure if the answer was encouraging or really scary. They told me that “there was nothing quantifiably lacking in [my] application” and that the decision on who to admit was made solely on program “fit.” On a more positive note, they did mention that my SoP was one of the “stronger, more artistic statements the admissions committee reviewed this application season," that it was a “pleasure to read,” and that they feel confident that I’ll find the right school.   

The scary part? I thought I was a great fit. 

I guess the moral of the story is that you can work your ass off to make yourself as competitive as possible and a committee can be impressed with you, but it all comes down to whether the program likes your research interests. I wasn’t even wait listed. Boo. 

​I’m sad and discouraged. This feels hopeless. 

Edited by Kamisha

Okay, I take the bit about Vanderbilt back. I just got into UCSD.... I'm completely freaking out. :blink:

Damn, you're freaking me out. Better not be another implied rejection.

Also, congratulations :)

Edited by despejado

Damn, you're freaking me out. Better not be another implied rejection.

Also, congratulations :)

Congratulations! :)

Congrats! Kamisha, who did you email/how'd you go about doing that? I'm really interested to see how I did and what to improve upon.

Thank you all!

And despejado, I thought I had an implied rejection because there was already an admit a couple days ago so... :)

Thank you all!

And despejado, I thought I had an implied rejection because there was already an admit a couple days ago so... :)

I must have missed that one on the boards! UCSD is my total dream school, so hopefully there's still good news out there for me somewhere. But in the mean time, congratulations again! That is so amazing for you.

I must have missed that one on the boards! UCSD is my total dream school, so hopefully there's still good news out there for me somewhere. But in the mean time, congratulations again! That is so amazing for you.

You'll get good news soon! I'm sure of it!

Congrats! Kamisha, who did you email/how'd you go about doing that? I'm really interested to see how I did and what to improve upon.

I emailed my POI and asked what I could do to become a more competitive applicant in the future.

Warning: It’s a risky game; some people get annoyed when you do it and some don’t respond at all. I was told by my mentor to not do it because you typically get a terse response, so I was actually really surprised to hear back. I’d met my POI at a conference, though, so I thought I’d give it a shot. 

I won't do it then. Question about POIs: my advisor told me not to choose one and plop them in my SOP because she said they'll just weed them out easier. As in, if 5 apply to work with the wonderful Nancy Armstrong, they won't choose all five, so it is best to stay a bit more general. Did anyone else hear this?