Fall 2014 applicants??

Glad I didn't see the email come from Virginia at 1 am or else I wouldn't have slept at all last night. Odd time to send out rejection notices.

I kinda makes you more anxious because a notification can basically come at any time... Weekends, 1am...

I'm wishing I applied to more schools. 11 seemed like a lot, but now idk. I just couldn't afford more, but that is my fault for not realizing how expensive the applications are!

Implied rejection #4 from Rice. Insanely frustrating.

Don't be so fast to assume an implied rejection. If they take a little longer to get back to you, that can because they're trying to rustle up fellowship funds to sweeten the offer for you. It happens - have hope!

Glad I didn't see the email come from Virginia at 1 am or else I wouldn't have slept at all last night. Odd time to send out rejection notices.

Seriously. 1AM notifications? That’s kind of a douche move, Virginia. 

Don't be so fast to assume an implied rejection. If they take a little longer to get back to you, that can because they're trying to rustle up fellowship funds to sweeten the offer for you. It happens - have hope!

Here's hoping you're right! Thank you :)

Edited by despejado

Implied rejection from BC and a rejection from UCLA. I hope I get admitted somewhere soon before my hopes completely go down the toilet. I'm also regretting not applying to more schools, but 11 was my financial limit. I had $40 in my account last week before I got my first paycheck of the semester.

Edited by shortstack51

Kamisha: rang the DGS number at ASU to ask when they plan to start notifying. The extension listed has 'not been activated'. Pretty clever of them, right?

Haha that is clever of them. I guess we have to wait it out in the dark. 

Positive thought for the day: What we're all applying for is really just a job. A poorly paid yet reasonably interesting job that requires us to spend 5 years or so reading and writing. Not all of us will be hired this year. But there's always next year to try again. If we do get hired and graduate, we will use the experience to apply for similar jobs with slightly better pay. And so on.

Anyhow, that's my suggested way of viewing it -- for whatever it's worth. I'm only half joking when I say that some of the comments since yesterday have been on the 'slightly alarming' end of the scale... Seriously, if it was just dating, you wouldn't take it to heart. But when it's 'academia', some people think a 'no thanks this year' means 'we hate you and you're hopeless.' End positive thought.

I'm wishing I applied to more schools. 11 seemed like a lot, but now idk. I just couldn't afford more, but that is my fault for not realizing how expensive the applications are!

Seriously. I applied to 14 schools and I’m sitting here thinking I should have doubled that. 

Seriously. I applied to 14 schools and I’m sitting here thinking I should have doubled that. 

But would you be a good fit 28 schools? 14 is a solid number (what I did this round). All you need is 1!

I'm at 16 and feeling the same way. I'm just hoping ONE will turn out well. Not getting into four schools is understandable, but I feel like 16 rejections would be a huge blow

Yeah I mean, after a certain point, you might end up with acceptances at places you really don't want to be at. All of my schools are placed I felt like I would be a good fit in. Location would be the only determining factor and funding, of course. 

Got my first official decision (a rejection from Ohio State University.)  This has been an implied rejection for me for at least a week now, but my app on the website was finally updated to reflect it officially.  

Even though: 1) I didn't expect to get in here, 2) it wasn't a top choice, and 3) I didn't especially want to live in Columbus, Ohio, I still ever-so-slightly feel this sense of "Fuck you, Ohio State!"  (no offense to those who got into this school and are happy.  You should be.  From what I can tell, it's a wonderfully awesome school.  There are just some people  (like me) who are bitter and immature :P )

Sadly, I think I will be saying fuck you to a lot of universities across the U.S.A. in the next month and a half.  

Edited by purpleperson

Haha Graditude, it really interests me that people think there's really an earthquake problem in California. I've lived here all my life and only been in one sizable (6.5) earthquake. And it was actually really fun! Lol

OK, two words? Drive-bys. I was just thinking of other awful things about UCLA. Also, Pinkberry.

To those of you rejected to UCLA: it's terrible here, the students are miserable, the professors often resort to physical violence, before examinations you must sacrifice small animals, and all universities have agreed to never hire UCLA PhD's. . .

See, they did you a favor. ;)

Haha, that cheered me up. Thanks!