Fall 2014 applicants??

I have two implied rejections and one official! They're pretty depressing. And I'm sure at this point, unless you're officially rejected, you still have a chance, but most likely it's not going to happen if it doesn't fit in with the normal times they alert everyone.

Sooo, I assume rejected and if anything else happens I'll shit my pants in excitement.

I have two implied rejections and one official! They're pretty depressing. And I'm sure at this point, unless you're officially rejected, you still have a chance, but most likely it's not going to happen if it doesn't fit in with the normal times they alert everyone.

Sooo, I assume rejected and if anything else happens I'll shit my pants in excitement.

I wish I could like this more than grad cafe allows...

Lol. One of my professors just gave me some advice: “Trisha [that’s my name, by the way], get the f*#$ off GradCafe. That site will drive you crazy. You’ll get in somewhere. Stop worrying so much.” 

I hope he’s right. I kind of wonder if my research interests are too “pop culture” for English departments. I maybe should have applied to Film programs, but I want to teach in an English department. 

Lol. One of my professors just gave me some advice: “Trisha [that’s my name, by the way], get the f*#$ off GradCafe. That site will drive you crazy. You’ll get in somewhere. Stop worrying so much.” 

I hope he’s right. I kind of wonder if my research interests are too “pop culture” for English departments. I maybe should have applied to Film programs, but I want to teach in an English department. 

One of my profs told me the exact same thing last week haha. Fell on deaf ears.

My interests also tend to veer toward the pop culture realm (particularly television studies), so I understand that anxiety. I did try to primarily seek out English programs that seemed welcoming to the pop culture crowd though. And I applied to one American Culture program because it really matched up with my interests. But I also have a strong pull toward YA and various cultural intersections in literature, which is why I stuck with English programs for the most part.

I don't think I ever would've known what an implied rejection is if it weren't for GradCafe. Or rather, it would have materialized much differently. W/o gradcafe an implied rejection would mean getting to mid-March without a peep from a certain school, oh well. On Gradcafe, an implied rejection means 2 people got offers at 2:30 and now it's 2:33 and you feel like the world is crashing down on you.

Edited by jazzy dubois

My interests also tend to veer toward the pop culture realm (particularly television studies), so I understand that anxiety. I did try to primarily seek out English programs that seemed welcoming to the pop culture crowd though. And I applied to one American Culture program because it really matched up with my interests. But I also have a strong pull toward YA and various cultural intersections in literature, which is why I stuck with English programs for the most part.

Does the American Culture program happen to be BGSU? Just wondering. 

I was also told by my thesis advisor/LOR writer, and most amazing prof ever that I should not get worried until February 20th. A colleague and I were discussing that date and couldn't tell if it was a total arbitrary number that she pulled out of her ass to calm me down or it actually held some validity. 

She also told me to stay off of GradCafe because it would only get me more amped up. It does, but I do love reading this thread and it's better to panic together than panic alone (or to panic at the disco). 

Does the American Culture program happen to be BGSU? Just wondering. 

I was also told by my thesis advisor/LOR writer, and most amazing prof ever that I should not get worried until February 20th. A colleague and I were discussing that date and couldn't tell if it was a total arbitrary number that she pulled out of her ass to calm me down or it actually held some validity. 

She also told me to stay off of GradCafe because it would only get me more amped up. It does, but I do love reading this thread and it's better to panic together than panic alone (or to panic at the disco). 

Points for the Panic! at the Disco bit. Brilliant. 

Points for the Panic! at the Disco bit. Brilliant. 

I wasn't sure if anyone would catch it. I figured they would all just assume I am a weirdo (I am, but still). Cheers, Despejado! 

I think I'll be taking your professors' advice. I might see y'all on the flipside, but it occurs to me that seeing results as they come up is probably not good for my cardiovascular health. Best of luck, friends!

On the topic of Northwestern.. They were one of the few schools I applied to that seemed fairly committed to diversity. How much difference does that make in the application process? I can see on the stats that some years, 90% of the students they accept are white. How does being Hispanic affect or not affect my chances? Does it really matter at all?

Sorry, I realize this is a weird question. I'm still just trying to convince myself that someone will want me for some reason haha

This is a very complicated question that very few people will want to touch, but I think the diversification of English graduate programs is a point of interest for many many programs, for good reason. But it's only one factor, and ethnic diversity is only one type of diversity.

I asked myself the same questions last year when I was in your position, btw.

Edited by NowMoreSerious

The GC forums are a lovely place full of answered questions and support.  The results board is the shadowy land of death.  I would have been so lost and alone without the forums, but the board probably took decades off my life.

And noooooo please do not leave us here!  We need you!

As for implied rejections (yes I'm topic-jumping), if you don't hear in the big batch, yes it might be time to brace yourself.  But don't count out the uncertain hell that is the waitlist.  Sometimes, and not uncommonly, that can turn into something.  So if you have heard about acceptances, but no waitlists yet, then hope is still there.  Tons of people got in that way last year.

This is a very complication question that very few people will want to touch, but I think the diversification of English graduate programs is a point of interest for many many programs, for good reason. But it's only one factor, and ethnic diversity is only one type of diversity.

I asked myself the same questions last year when I was in your position, btw.

Really glad to see someone respond to this! I think your answer is great, and I appreciate your insight. I was told by a professor or two that it would work in my favor, and while I don't want to play the ethnicity card, I won't upset if it does work in my favor.

Edited by despejado

I haven't heard anything either. Anyone remember if they do all their calling in one day?

On the subject of scores, my verbal was decent at 93 ((though apparently yall are GRE wizards), but my math was...unbelievably bad at 13. I'd like to blame it on the fact that my calculator was broken (had to use an accessible one that didn't work), but I can't because I realized that I got the same percentile when I took the test last.

AW went pretty well though. Subject was fairly middle of the road. So I was willing to take the decent verbal, and refused to retake it for a bad math score that wouldn't change anyway--I had to fight and claw to get anything above a D in high school. Math is *not* my calling. lol

I looked and last year they notified everyone same day for acceptances. If they weren't notified then, they were either wait listed, accepted to the MA program instead, or rejected later. Only one person has posted, though, so I'm not quite sure what that means. Perhaps the weather affected reporting back to people? Or more people got accepted and didn't report it. In my head, I'm counting it as implied rejection unless I hear otherwise.

On the topic of GREs, my general was ok (89 and 93) and my subject was pretty good at 650, though I guess a little low considering I'm completing my MA this semester. We'll see what happens. I don't think the scores are too much of a defining factor outside of some top programs setting "minimums".

I'd like to get into 2 schools so I at least have a choice this time around.

I don't think I ever would've known what an implied rejection is if it weren't for GradCafe. Or rather, it would have materialized much differently. W/o gradcafe an implied rejection would mean getting to mid-March without a peep from a certain school, oh well. On Gradcafe, an implied rejection means 2 people got offers at 2:30 and now it's 2:33 and you feel like the world is crashing down on you.

I'd like to echo this, and add that if not for GradCafe and implieds, I might have wasted a lot of time holding out hope for some schools instead of analyzing and weighing the ones I had in the bag already. In a very material way this board made a difference for me in my decision making.

I'd like to echo this, and add that if not for GradCafe and implieds, I might have wasted a lot of time holding out hope for some schools instead of analyzing and weighing the ones I had in the bag already. In a very material way this board made a difference for me in my decision making.

I just saw your signature and I'm also applying to 16 schools. Hoping it turns out as well for me as it did for you.

I have a feeling that I am going to get couple of unfunded acceptances and that's about it! I was confident that I could get through February with no problem at all. But it's not as easy as I had imagined. And to think that I might have to go through this all over again next year..... could one of you just drive a stake through my heart and put an end to this agony already?!

Got the same advice! Did not listen one bit. Not even from a prof who I have a total crush on. Ah well.