Fall 2014 applicants??

I'm really hoping there will be a few more Northwestern acceptances tomorrow. Notified on Super Bowl Sunday? Seems un-American! (But I'd take it, of course!)

Edited by JuliaSug

I just noticed that someone posted a Temple University acceptance on the Results Board.  It says they were notified via email on 1/23 (they only just added it to the results board today, though.)

I applied to Temple.

Question: when schools are referred to as accepting people "in waves," does that usually mean three consecutive days or several different days but in the same week?  Or can "waves" also mean some people one week, another set of people another week, another set of people the week after, etc.?

Arizona State applicants: has your online status updated from "In Review?"

Mine hasn't yet, but I'm seeing both acceptances and rejections on the Results Search and am wondering what to think.

Am wondering the same thing here. They were also the only dept not to send out a "thank you for your application" email. The info on the board suggests that the rejection was for a BA student who wanted to enter the PhD program directly but was offered a place on the MA instead. The acceptances so far seem to be for the Literature applicants, not the Rhet/Comp. Based on results from previous years, though, ASU seems to send out waves of yes and no all the way into March. 

Am wondering the same thing here. They were also the only dept not to send out a "thank you for your application" email. The info on the board suggests that the rejection was for a BA student who wanted to enter the PhD program directly but was offered a place on the MA instead. The acceptances so far seem to be for the Literature applicants, not the Rhet/Comp. Based on results from previous years, though, ASU seems to send out waves of yes and no all the way into March.

Hmm...I'm a literature applicant and haven't heard anything. But you're right--their previous years' notifications are all over the place.

"Consistency is all I ask!" (Guess the absurdist novella and win brownie points)

I was actually in it once, that's how I knew, bwa ha. Anyhow, am on Euro-time here, so it's just after midnight in AZ. Not much chance of updates for the next few hours. Or days, even. Best of luck! Have you ever lived in Phoenix? I did once in the mid-90s, before they had the light rail. Am looking forward to seeing how it's changed since then.

I was actually in it once, that's how I knew, bwa ha. Anyhow, am on Euro-time here, so it's just after midnight in AZ. Not much chance of updates for the next few hours. Or days, even. Best of luck! Have you ever lived in Phoenix? I did once in the mid-90s, before they had the light rail. Am looking forward to seeing how it's changed since then.

Best of luck to you, as well! I've never lived in Phoenix, but have lived in very similar climates and my company does some freelance writing for a few companies in Phoenix, so I fly down there fairly often. I think I could handle 5+ years in that area. It sounds like you could, as well!

I've applied to 16 schools and have implied rejections from 2. NYU and Pitt are both supposed to notify within the next week... My nerves are totally set on edge. Trying hard not to think about what happens if I go 0/16.

Implied rejection from two schools out of 13. And of another two of those 13 schools, my professor submitted LOR late, which probably significantly hurts my chances at those universities, too.

Honestly I'd like to get into ONE place. I know I belong in academia and that I would succeed there, even at a prestigious institution even though I haven't had the opportunities at an expensive, prestigious undergrad like many others have.

Implied rejection from two schools out of 13. And of another two of those 13 schools, my professor submitted LOR late, which probably significantly hurts my chances at those universities, too.

Honestly I'd like to get into ONE place. I know I belong in academia and that I would succeed there, even at a prestigious institution even though I haven't had the opportunities at an expensive, prestigious undergrad like many others have.

Hello, fellow Ohioan! I'm from Columbus!

Also, I applied to 12 schools and am assuming that at least one if not two are already rejections. It's horrifying. I had the same issue with a professor submitting LOR to like FIVE SCHOOLS. I was shocked, especially since I was emailed a list of all the schools that this professor had "already" submitted to when I saw that there was an issue. I don't know what to think other than to worry. 

I'm in the same boat with you--all I want is ONE. Also like you, I didn't have a crazy prestigious undergrad and go to a very small masters program (with great, prominent advisors in my field but a pretty unknown reputation at the greater university level). I think we just need to keep our fingers crossed and trust the process. 

Yeah, I think most of us are in the same boat: fairly unknown Bachelors program with little prestige, small MA, and big dreams. I don't think any of us would be applying if we didn't think we could hack it at the most prestigious schools, but know that the likelihood of getting into schools--no matter how much ass we kick--is small.

Remember: everyone on these boards is likely the Blair Waldorf of their school. (If you don't get the reference, do yourself a favor and watch Gossip Girl.)

Hey Graditude...I just noticed the part of your post where you said ASU didn't send out application acknowledgement emails. I was just looking back through my materials and it appears that they DID. I received an email with a login to "My ASU" when I submitted my application.

If you didn't, you might want to check in :(

Switters: thanks for the heads-up. I did do that, and opened a My ASU acct that I've been checking every day every hour every twenty-three minutes.. That's from the grad school, though. What I meant to say was that they are the only department that didn't send a "thank you for applying" email. At the other programs I applied to, the head of dept also sent emails explaining when they planned to make their decision. It was a nice touch, reduces worry, etc. With ASU, apparently, you never know when they'll notify you.

Switters: thanks for the heads-up. I did do that, and opened a My ASU acct that I've been checking every day every hour every twenty-three minutes.. That's from the grad school, though. What I meant to say was that they are the only department that didn't send a "thank you for applying" email. At the other programs I applied to, the head of dept also sent emails explaining when they planned to make their decision. It was a nice touch, reduces worry, etc. With ASU, apparently, you never know when they'll notify you.

Very true. I have written in my notes about ASU that they "notify randomly between Jan 31st and March 30th." Haha

I even activated the free gmail account that came with the My ASU acct: it's your name plus "asu.edu". I reason that this magically guarantees that they will accept me.

I support this reasoning because I also was granted an ASU account.

As far as late letter-writers go, any extra worry given to that would be superfluous. Most programs explicitly state on their website that they allow a little leeway for submission of items that are largely out of your control (LOR, test scores, transcripts). even if they don't I've found that reaching out to these programs usually causes any fretting to dissipate. Most DGS's or secretaries I've reached out to have been very forthcoming about the fact that there is always room for a little gray area as far as deadlines are concerned, at least with the items that you have to rely on other people to turn in.