Fall 2014 applicants??

I have officially never felt worse, even though I figured these rejections were coming. Duke...gone. Implied rejections (based on previous year postings) from Berkeley and Vanderbilt. Here's to hoping I'm not shut out of WUSTL and ASU, as well. It sure wouldn't be fun to have five out of 14 schools wiped off in one day.

I think if I had an acceptance before the Duke disaster of 2014, I would have been less frightened. However, I only have a nom for a fellowship abroad and that is it. Nothing concrete. That is scary. 

Looks like there are tons of schools letting people know today! It looks like a lot of Cali schools are getting back to people. Hope I hear from UCLA soon...!

Congrats to all the acceptances and good will to anyone facing rejection letters. I may be soon as well. Yikes!

Holy crap, guys. I had given up hope on OSU and then on a whim checked app status this evening and I was accepted!!! I haven't gotten an email or a phone call yet, so I don't know details, but I'm stoked. For anyone else still waiting to hear, I'm comp/rhet, so if you are too, check appstatus. So stoked!

Edited by Academicat

Hey short stack who do you hope to work with at ucla??? I go to ucla! I may know your possible advisors!

Great! One of my rec providers got his BA at UCLA. I'm hoping to work with Anne Mellor and/or Joseph Bristow. (My primary field is Romanticism, secondary is Queer Theory/LGBT studies with an overarching interest in the subject/object relationship.)

Hey short stack who do you hope to work with at ucla??? I go to ucla! I may know your possible advisors!

Can I high-jack this? I love James Merrill, so it would be great to work with Stephen Yenser. I really hope I get accepted. Do you know anything about him as an advisor? (thanks!)

------------

Also, fantastic news today from Berkeley. At a loss as to who to share it with, and what to do with myself, and grateful for this forum. I wish everyone who's in the wait speedy relief from this ridiculous state of suspension, and congratulations to the already (if only partially) relieved. It's been hell. 

Edited by davidipse

I have never had Bristow, but I hear he is one fabulous man and a bit of diva (in a good way!). I have only hear lovely things about him. I know a few people who have him as their thesis advisor. And he is demanding, yet, caring about those who have earned it!

I cannot speak to Mellor, or Yenser. There's so many professors here, so it's hard to know them all. But I thought I would have at least had one of your possible advisors. Lol.

And super congrats to you davidipse!

If either of you have questions about ucla feel free to ask!! It's an awesome place to be. Although of course I'm just a lowly undergrad, so cannot answer specific graduate question. All my TAs have been wonderfully nice people! So all incoming students will have friendly peers.

Edited by andrewcycs

Berkeley, Duke, Chapel Hill, Irvine, Vanderbilt, Davis, U of Washington, Riverside, Boulder, Oregon, Arizona State, Lincoln, Florida State, and Baylor.

I tried to make sure I had a couple schools in every tier, so I applied from rank 1 to rank 121. How about you?

The only rejection that is really going to kill me is Berkeley. I'm in love with that place. I walked around the campus in October while at a conference and just fell for the school so hard. It will break my heart.

A Berkeley rejection (not a lit program though) will definitely kill me, too. I have so much love for the faculty there.

Looks like there are tons of schools letting people know today! It looks like a lot of Cali schools are getting back to people. Hope I hear from UCLA soon...!

Congrats to all the acceptances and good will to anyone facing rejection letters. I may be soon as well. Yikes!

I gave the admissions coordinator a call earlier and she indeed said they will be going out in the next week or so. Gah!

Can I high-jack this? I love James Merrill, so it would be great to work with Stephen Yenser. I really hope I get accepted. Do you know anything about him as an advisor? (thanks!)

------------

Also, fantastic news today from Berkeley. At a loss as to who to share it with, and what to do with myself, and grateful for this forum. I wish everyone who's in the wait speedy relief from this ridiculous state of suspension, and congratulations to the already (if only partially) relieved. It's been hell.

Congrats on Berkeley!

------------

Congratulations! Berkeley hosts some excellent Romanticists, so I'm sure you'll a great time. 

------------

Share it with us! Congratulations! 

Anyone have any details on the 28.5k funding packing for UC Berkeley mentioned on the results page?

I received an email with the following:

"We also have nominated you for a prestigious university fellowship, which is awarded by an interdepartmental competition. Although the results will not be announced for a couple of weeks, we have every reason to believe that the university will be as impressed as we are by your scholarly achievement. As soon as we know the exact terms of your guaranteed five-year fellowship package, we will be in touch. For each of these five years, your tuition, fees, and health benefits will be covered."

Is this the same as or different than the package mentioned on the results page? Thanks for any insight, and best of luck to everyone

Congrats to everyone who got in Berkeley. I'm awaiting my rejection and am sad, but I wish you all the best.

Questions for the UN-Lincoln candidates out there: if you've been admitted, were you admitted to the Comp-Rhet program or the straight English program?

On the Results Search page, two people have posted MA acceptances, two have posted Comp/Rhet, and one has posted straight English. I'm wondering, though, if the latter isn't a comp/rhet acceptances also because, as far as I know, no one from the lit program has been notified.

Congrats to everyone who got in Berkeley. I'm awaiting my rejection and am sad, but I wish you all the best.

Questions for the UN-Lincoln candidates out there: if you've been admitted, were you admitted to the Comp-Rhet program or the straight English program?

On the Results Search page, two people have posted MA acceptances, two have posted Comp/Rhet, and one has posted straight English. I'm wondering, though, if the latter isn't a comp/rhet acceptances also because, as far as I know, no one from the lit program has been notified.

I've been wondering the same thing--I always have put "English literature" on these things or just "literature" to differentiate, but I'm not sure if everyone does that. UNL is KILLING me right now. It's the only school I'm expecting to hear back about around this time and it's totally taking my attention away from thesis writing that DESPERATELY needs to be done. (Read: it's due exactly one month from today.) 

Thanks everyone for the congrats, and hope everyone will get in somewhere they want to go.

Anyone have any details on the 28.5k funding packing for UC Berkeley mentioned on the results page?

I received an email with the following:

"We also have nominated you for a prestigious university fellowship, which is awarded by an interdepartmental competition. Although the results will not be announced for a couple of weeks, we have every reason to believe that the university will be as impressed as we are by your scholarly achievement. As soon as we know the exact terms of your guaranteed five-year fellowship package, we will be in touch. For each of these five years, your tuition, fees, and health benefits will be covered."

Is this the same as or different than the package mentioned on the results page? Thanks for any insight, and best of luck to everyone

Au1342, I got the exact same email. I've heard a lot that their funding varies per student. This document was compiled by the people has this to say for Berkeley:

Variety of packages. 23k for five years, 23k for two years and 17k for three, 30k for five years, 28k/2 with 26k/3 (are all of these packages updated? or are some of these figures from past years? 23/17 seems low compared to the rest of this list? thanks!--looks like they're from past years. last year, minimum package was upped to 31, 25, 17 17 17--about 22 per year)