Fall 2014 applicants??

I was looking through the results page again (god I need to not be obsessed with this site) and there were some ppl notified the 5th and some notified the 10th and both were acceptances, so perhaps it isn't as clear cut as we thought?

Perhaps. I'm not holding out much hope for myself, but you never know! :)

Lol. Have confidence! It's all about "fit" and I'm sure each of us will find the school that works best for us!

Liking your outlook :) applied to an ungodly number of schools, so hoping something works out.

I didn't see the one on the 10th!! I definitely saw the one on the 5th.

I'm feeling the hope slip from my greedy little fingers! And the self loathing isn't too far behind. Haha.

I would be happy to get into any of the schools I applied to. Seriously, even one acceptance and I would be ecstatic. I just really did not want to start with a rejection! And everyone says to expect that from Duke, but I feel all the programs are just as hard to get into! Dahhh!

I hate to bring the bad news, but apparently the person who posted in the 10th was actually notified the same time as the others (according to the date he/she listed). It looks like the only year where they did two rounds of acceptances was 2008.

I hate to bring the bad news, but apparently the person who posted in the 10th was actually notified the same time as the others (according to the date he/she listed). It looks like the only year where they did two rounds of acceptances was 2008.

Oh well. It looks like today or maybe tomorrow would be the last day of good notifications. I was really hoping it would be in february. 

Haha Switters!!! I feel the same way. Where did you apply??

Berkeley, Duke, Chapel Hill, Irvine, Vanderbilt, Davis, U of Washington, Riverside, Boulder, Oregon, Arizona State, Lincoln, Florida State, and Baylor.

I tried to make sure I had a couple schools in every tier, so I applied from rank 1 to rank 121. How about you?

The only rejection that is really going to kill me is Berkeley. I'm in love with that place. I walked around the campus in October while at a conference and just fell for the school so hard. It will break my heart.

Haha Switters!!! I feel the same way. Where did you apply??

Berkeley, Duke, Chapel Hill, Irvine, Vanderbilt, Davis, U of Washington, Riverside, Boulder, Oregon, Arizona State, Lincoln, Florida State, and Baylor.

I tried to make sure I had a couple schools in every tier, so I applied from rank 1 to rank 121. How about you?

The only rejection that is really going to kill me is Berkeley. I'm in love with that place. I walked around the campus in October while at a conference and just fell for the school so hard. It will break my heart.

I'm feeling like I should have applied through the 100s as well. I stopped somewhere in the sixties and am having huge regrets right about now.

I wouldn't. Fit is fit. You're going to do great.

Don't be so down about Berkeley! I know you wouldn't have applied if you didn't think you had some kind of shot, and I'm sure you DO have a decent shot. Head up!

Don't be so down about Berkeley! I know you wouldn't have applied if you didn't think you had some kind of shot, and I'm sure you DO have a decent shot. Head up!

You are kind. Haha. Berkeley gets over 600 applicants, so qualifications are really secondary. I honestly should have applied to their Film program. It was a better fit. But I want to teach in an English department, so I thought I'd just go for the visual culture sort of emphasis.

Nice! Have you heard from Baylor, I know some people got interviews.

We're applying to a couple of the same schools. I'm applying to duke, nyu, brown, vanderbilt, notre dame, michigan Ann Arbor, georgetown, chapel hill, and WashU. Georgetown is a masters.

I wish I had picked some "easier" schools as well! Oh well. Lol. Too late now. I have a back up plan at least.

You are kind. Haha. Berkeley gets over 600 applicants, so qualifications are really secondary. I honestly should have applied to their Film program. It was a better fit. But I want to teach in an English department, so I thought I'd just go for the visual culture sort of emphasis.

Did you have a Film focus in undergrad? Regardless, I wouldn't count anything out just yet. If qualifications really are secondary, then I'm sure the variety of your interests would stand out to an adcomm as well.

I have implicit rejections at two places (Emory and Duke) and am terrified I won't get in anywhere. The worst thing is, I have no idea what to do differently if I have to reapply. My "numbers" are pretty strong (3.8 undergrad 168V, 670 subject). I was happy with my SOP and writing sample but now I am questioning everything. Maybe one of my recommendations wasn't as strong as I thought? Maybe my SOP was too narrow or I didn't assess fit very well? Ahhh. I'm going crazy trying to figure out what went wrong, and it's not even February! Sorry for the rant.

Not exactly an emphasis, but my undergrad thesis and my master's thesis (both in English programs) focus on film and culture.

Well good luck to you! I have no doubt you'll find yourself somewhere wonderful.

Congratulations Switters!! That's awesome. :)) that is a good "at least." Especially considering most of us have nothing to feel confident about! Lol.

And if we do end up at chapel hill together I'll buy you a drink!!! :D

And I will buy you one! Haha