Fall 2014 applicants??

Thanks everyone for the congrats, and hope everyone will get in somewhere they want to go.

Au1342, I got the exact same email. I've heard a lot that their funding varies per student. This document was compiled by the people has this to say for Berkeley:

Variety of packages. 23k for five years, 23k for two years and 17k for three, 30k for five years, 28k/2 with 26k/3 (are all of these packages updated? or are some of these figures from past years? 23/17 seems low compared to the rest of this list? thanks!--looks like they're from past years. last year, minimum package was upped to 31, 25, 17 17 17--about 22 per year)

Thanks, that's helpful. I hadn't seen the Google doc. Congrats, and maybe I'll see you at the prospective visit weekend!

I've been wondering the same thing--I always have put "English literature" on these things or just "literature" to differentiate, but I'm not sure if everyone does that. UNL is KILLING me right now. It's the only school I'm expecting to hear back about around this time and it's totally taking my attention away from thesis writing that DESPERATELY needs to be done. (Read: it's due exactly one month from today.)

Haha you and I are in the same boat: my thesis is due February 13th and I can't focus on anything but this.

Haha you and I are in the same boat: my thesis is due February 13th and I can't focus on anything but this.

Ugh, not jealous of that. I'm at my office right now attempting to trudge through Malory and de Troyes. I want to stab things in my eyes. It doesn't help that I can't remember at all the guidance my thesis advisor gave me for writing this chapter...

Anyone here apply to Wisconsin lit? I've seen a bunch of rejections but only one or two acceptances posted. Results seem a bit more ad hoc this year.

I did! Waitlisted about a week ago in email from Dr. Bernstein. Letter said waitlist is short. Informal update from LOR writer who knows a professor there personally said that they had to limit their admits this year after more people than expected accepted last year. So some people might be in limbo as the department waits to see who accepts admission and how much funding is available. 

Does anyone know if programs offer higher fellowships than what's listed on that document davidipse posted to students that have children?

30k is the highest stipend I've heard of, even for people with families. Most grad stipends in the humanities are between $12.5k and $18k.

Ugh, not jealous of that. I'm at my office right now attempting to trudge through Malory and de Troyes. I want to stab things in my eyes. It doesn't help that I can't remember at all the guidance my thesis advisor gave me for writing this chapter...

Yikes! Avoid sharp objects in the eyes. I write about film, so at least we won't be competing with one another within concentration :) we can be friends! Haha

Yikes! Avoid sharp objects in the eyes. I write about film, so at least we won't be competing with one another within concentration :) we can be friends! Haha

Haha, yay! And no promises about the eyes--I literally just said (aloud, to myself, in an empty room) "Everything I've written is total bullshit". So, you know, there's that. 

Writing about film sounds like fun right about now. I wrote on the Joker for my last conference paper and it was such a relief from writing about Medieval stuff nonstop. 

30k is the highest stipend I've heard of, even for people with families. Most grad stipends in the humanities are between $12.5k and $18k.

I have no idea how people (with kids) do that with housing costs in metropolitan areas.

I did! Waitlisted about a week ago in email from Dr. Bernstein. Letter said waitlist is short. Informal update from LOR writer who knows a professor there personally said that they had to limit their admits this year after more people than expected accepted last year. So some people might be in limbo as the department waits to see who accepts admission and how much funding is available. 

Appreciate the heads up

I'm waitlisted at Madison too. Thanks for the info BostonClem. My fingers are crossed that they start accepting people off wait list!

Oof, me too! I wasn't expecting to hear word from anyone until mid February (not sure where I got that idea, but whatever..), which made it easier not to obsess. But ever since Madison's email, all I can do is check department websites and refresh the results page here on gradcafe. The fact that it's a Saturday seems to make no difference to my neuroses. I just keep repeating to myself, "it only takes one, it only takes one..."

9 more to go. Someone please put me out of my misery. I have no idea how to distract myself...

Does anyone know if some schools change app status on weekends? Can I take a break from checking mine every hour?

Looks like some of them do. Someone just posted a Northwestern acceptance to the results page!!

Holy crap, guys. I had given up hope on OSU and then on a whim checked app status this evening and I was accepted!!! I haven't gotten an email or a phone call yet, so I don't know details, but I'm stoked. For anyone else still waiting to hear, I'm comp/rhet, so if you are too, check appstatus. So stoked!

Congrats! That's exactly how I found out I was accepted last week hehe.

Does anyone know if some schools change app status on weekends? Can I take a break from checking mine every hour?

I imagine some of them might, but it wouldn't hurt to take a breather.

A friend of mine who's applied a couple times told me that he heard back from schools on weekends, weeknights...all of it.  He said he'd hear from a school 8 p.m. on a Saturday, 11 a.m. on a Sunday, etc.  I think from now to March 15th or so, it's possible on any day to hear from a school.  Very exciting.  Yet demoralizing.  It's only February 1, so very early, yet I feel increasingly demoralized every day that passes that I hear nothing.  It's insane!

Anybody here apply to Chicago at all? I've been browsing signatures but haven't really seen it listed by anyone.

I applied to Chicago. That's the one I'm most invested in, along with Northwestern.

Edited by Megeen

I get the sense that Northwestern pretty much notifies acceptees at the same time, and it might already be over because I doubt it's everyone's first thought to post an anonymous result... I'd probably need 30 minutes just to stop jumping around.

That one's gonna sting when the rejection actually comes...

Edited by Megeen